Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

A few clues in here with KR mentioning Hall and Baptiste returning...the omission of Obika telling?
looking like Obika won’t be here otherwise he would’ve mentioned him as well i’d have thought.
would hope to keep the team together but if big offer came in for say Brannagan or Whyte we’d have to take it, wouldn’t we?

looking like Obika won’t be here otherwise he would’ve mentioned him as well i’d have thought.
would hope to keep the team together but if big offer came in for say Brannagan or Whyte we’d have to take it, wouldn’t we?

I don't think anyone is going to come in with £1.5million+ for Brannagan, or £3million+ for Whyte, which I imagine would be our tipping points.

I would hope we could resist, and if a very very big offer did come in tiger big offer came in for say Brannagan or Whyte Tiger would be a Tiger and not a pussy cat and say f**k off", but then back that up with his mates and invest

I don't think anyone is going to come in with £1.5million+ for Brannagan, or £3million+ for Whyte, which I imagine would be our tipping points.
You are right of course.
Virtually every club in Division 3 has a tipping point for all of its players.
So £3m for Whyte? I reckon that we would have to take that (allow us to pay the salaries for a few months).
I am not sure that KR needs to mention being allowed to keep the players.
The key thing is that IF we had a big offer for Whyte the recruitment team have replacements lined up.

Absolutely not. If there's one way KR would lose the backing of the fans (after working so hard to regain it) it would be this! We have to keep the core of our side if we are to be serious about challenging for promotion next season. Whyte will eventually command our biggest transfer fee of all time and I think it would be absolutely insane to sell him at this point! More value to be added and more to give to the club! The same goes for Brannagan. Not a chance!

Absolutely not. If there's one way KR would lose the backing of the fans (after working so hard to regain it) it would be this! We have to keep the core of our side if we are to be serious about challenging for promotion next season. Whyte will eventually command our biggest transfer fee of all time and I think it would be absolutely insane to sell him at this point! More value to be added and more to give to the club! The same goes for Brannagan. Not a chance!
I don't disagree from a football perspective.
But on the basis that we have struggled to pay basic Bill's means that unless there is a bid cash injection somebody is likely to go.
Plus we can't let players like Nelson go for free. We also don't want 3 players going at the end of next season.
So if players wont sign extensions we can hardly let them stay with a season left.

The problem with this approach is that it puts (even more) power into the hands of the player / agent: they say, 'I don't want to see the last year of my contract through, I want a move to another club. Oxford should take what they are offering (let's say well below valuation the club puts on the player), or I will go for nothing next year.' Like everything in football finance, it's a game of poker. If the buying club thinks we would keep the player another year (like Nelson), then they might up the offer. It's very hard for the club to win in this. Also bear in mind that an established player is much more effective for the first few weeks than their replacement - as per Oxford at the start of this season.
It seems we have generally got one thing right over recent years by putting promising players on longish contracts.

I don't disagree from a football perspective.
But on the basis that we have struggled to pay basic Bill's means that unless there is a bid cash injection somebody is likely to go.
Plus we can't let players like Nelson go for free. We also don't want 3 players going at the end of next season.
So if players wont sign extensions we can hardly let them stay with a season left.
Tiger has invested close to 5million in his first season (wages, training ground and transfers) and I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt with cash-flow/transfer problems and I believe he has inherited a lot of problems which were unforeseen. Unfortunately, the handling of Nelsons contract has been a shambles and bar a miracle, a 1/1.5mil player is going to walk out of the club for free. Whyte is under contract until 2021 so suggesting anything at this stage is crazy talk. Even if there was talk of him going at the end of next season, he'd have a year left on his contract and any club with any clue would look at extending his contract, welllllll before any uncertainty arises.

Last edited:
Tiger has invested close to 5million in his first season (wages, training ground and transfers) and I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt with cash-flow/transfer problems and I believe he has inherited a lot of problems which were unforeseen. Unfortunately, the handling of Nelsons contract has been a shambles and bar a miracle, a 1/1.5mil player is going to walk out of the club for free. Whyte is under contract until 2021 so suggesting anything at this stage is crazy talk. Even if he left at the end of next season, he'd have a year left on his contract. No chance.
I'm getting old and forgetful but Nelsons contract that was offered was that pre tiger or whilst DE was in charge?

Suspect Nelson had made his mind up. If this was the case, then probably there would be little the club could have done.
Also remember he had a serious injury in 2017/18. Clubs would have been reluctant to buy him in the summer of 2018 anyway.
Not sure much blame attaches to the club in this case.

I do wonder if Robinson is worried about the possibility of a fire sale in the summer and he’s making it clear he doesn’t want anybody sold. We’ll have to see what the summer holds but it could be interesting.

Pure conjecture on my part but I wonder what supporters reactions would be if Robinson walked due to an untenable situation. Quite a bit different to what it would’ve been 6 months ago I imagine!

Robinson has been incredibly loyal and supportive to the owners and taken a lot of flack on their behalf. Let’s hope they’re able to return the favour and back him now.

The problem with this approach is that it puts (even more) power into the hands of the player / agent: they say, 'I don't want to see the last year of my contract through, I want a move to another club. Oxford should take what they are offering (let's say well below valuation the club puts on the player), or I will go for nothing next year.' Like everything in football finance, it's a game of poker. If the buying club thinks we would keep the player another year (like Nelson), then they might up the offer. It's very hard for the club to win in this. Also bear in mind that an established player is much more effective for the first few weeks than their replacement - as per Oxford at the start of this season.
It seems we have generally got one thing right over recent years by putting promising players on longish contracts.
Peterborough (who operate a very successful buy/sell policy) have a rule that they sell any player who has only 12 months on his contract and is refusing to sign an extension, assuming they have a sale value, of course. For the first time in his inglorious reign, however, no blame can be attached to Tiger for this one- ie the failure to sell Nelson last Summer . He was injured and his transfer value would have been close to zero. Have to say, however, I think Nelson’s attitude, especially in the last 10-15 games, has been brilliant. Good luck to him....

I do wonder if Robinson is worried about the possibility of a fire sale in the summer and he’s making it clear he doesn’t want anybody sold. We’ll have to see what the summer holds but it could be interesting.

Pure conjecture on my part but I wonder what supporters reactions would be if Robinson walked due to an untenable situation. Quite a bit different to what it would’ve been 6 months ago I imagine!

Robinson has been incredibly loyal and supportive to the owners and taken a lot of flack on their behalf. Let’s hope they’re able to return the favour and back him now.

If we were barely safe at the end of the season, in 19th/20th, then I could see that situation more.

But surely the owners will have one eye on our form. If we start next season like we're finishing this one, the value of our player assets should have doubled.

The best thing about our late season form is that I'd say the owners would be more likely to double up on a playoff push next season than to shop our best players and settle for lower league scrapping.

Tiger has invested close to 5million in his first season (wages, training ground and transfers) and I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt with cash-flow/transfer problems and I believe he has inherited a lot of problems which were unforeseen. Unfortunately, the handling of Nelsons contract has been a shambles and bar a miracle, a 1/1.5mil player is going to walk out of the club for free. Whyte is under contract until 2021 so suggesting anything at this stage is crazy talk. Even if there was talk of him going at the end of next season, he'd have a year left on his contract and any club with any clue would look at extending his contract, welllllll before any uncertainty arises.

Unfortunately we were never going to get that sort of fee last summer once he was out with a knee ligament injury for two thirds of the season, had he not got got injured otherwise then we would of got at least a million minimum but Plymouth would of got a chunk of (20-25% what ever the league tribunal decided gave them) so anything below a current price maybe wasn’t worth it at the time plus the club made a million on Ledson & got a fee for Rothwell when he was out of contract for being under 24 last summer

I think if Whyte can get 10-15 goals next season with a fair few assists & Brannagan
gets double figures for assists with close to 8-10 goals aswell both will be high value even if they’ve only got one year left

Unfortunately we were never going to get that sort of fee last summer once he was out with a knee ligament injury for two thirds of the season, had he not got got injured otherwise then we would of got at least a million minimum but Plymouth would of got a chunk of (20-25% what ever the league tribunal decided gave them) so anything below a current price maybe wasn’t worth it at the time plus the club made a million on Ledson & got a fee for Rothwell when he was out of contract for being under 24 last summer

Once Nelson leaves Oxford I believe any future sell on fee will now be null and void as his contract has finished, I bet their Chairman is happy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom