Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a guy who fits that bill but we could never afford him and that is Brett Pitman. Slowly going down the pecking order at Pompey. But hes on mega money at Pompey

Mackie, Sinclair and Tshimanga vying for the number 9 ? That will not be enough firepower to get us to the play offs. In my opinion we need to break the bank for a proven striker who will guarantee 20 goals minimum, not a 'he might get 15' sort of striker.

Not easy to find but other successful clubs manage it and our recruitment need to step up and deliver Robinson the elusive number 9.

You can't "break the bank for a proven striker who will guarantee 20 goals minimum".

See Sunderland with Will Grigg.

With the type of players we are bringing in I would much rather a Ryan Taylor type striker who can hold the ball up and bring the likes of Whyte and Henry (and Fosu) into play in dangerous positions. Hawkins from Pompey would fit the bill.

And before anyone replies and says “It’s a strikers job to score” - zzzzzzzz.

The view I think is that Sinclair got better and will continue to improve. His record per minutes was close to 20 goals a season I believe?
I'm not even sure that breaking the bank for a striker would necessarily work. Look at Sunderland with both Wyce and Grigg.
Look also at Marquis and Eves who were not big goalscorers until Donny, Gillingham picked them up

Personally I don’t see Jerome Sinclair getting anywhere close to 20, overall in L1 last season he played 29 scored 5 for Sunderland & us (16 apps 4 goals)

I wouldn’t be disappointed if we did sign him tho as I did think his all round game last season was an improvement on others we’ve had up here over the past 2 seasons, if he could get into double figures in the league say (12+) & I think he’s got a few assists in him as well I think that would be a big improvement

Charlton did it without a prolific striker last season and my friend who supports them said they need a 20 goal a season player.
Unfortunately if we manage to get one they’ll be away as soon as a better offer comes.
I’d like us to pluck one from non league and rely on Whyte and hopefully Sinclair to score. All going well Henry will add to that too

Charlton did it without a prolific striker last season and my friend who supports them said they need a 20 goal a season player.
Unfortunately if we manage to get one they’ll be away as soon as a better offer comes.
I’d like us to pluck one from non league and rely on Whyte and hopefully Sinclair to score. All going well Henry will add to that too
Without a prolific striker,you sure? Lyle Taylor got 22 last season with 11 assists and they had Karlan Grant who got 14 by January. Pretty prolific to be.

Personally I don’t see Jerome Sinclair getting anywhere close to 20, overall in L1 last season he played 29 scored 5 for Sunderland & us (16 apps 4 goals)

I wouldn’t be disappointed if we did sign him tho as I did think his all round game last season was an improvement on others we’ve had up here over the past 2 seasons, if he could get into double figures in the league say (12+) & I think he’s got a few assists in him as well I think that would be a big improvement
I'm not sure his appearances for Sunderland is relevant. You could argue that Will Grigg doesn't score many based on Sunderland! I believe that they played Sinclair wide as well.
At Oxford he started 10 games. He came on 6 times. I would be surprised if he played more that the equivalent of ten 90 minutes and if true 4 goals is pretty decent.

Losing count of how many midfielders we might have if this article is true.

I'm not sure his appearances for Sunderland is relevant. You could argue that Will Grigg doesn't score many based on Sunderland! I believe that they played Sinclair wide as well.
At Oxford he started 10 games. He came on 6 times. I would be surprised if he played more that the equivalent of ten 90 minutes and if true 4 goals is pretty decent.

He did play either wide or up front for Sunderland by all accounts but doesn’t change the fact he was involved in 29 games in L1 whether that was sub apps or starts last season

I did an analysis based on minutes per goal previously (it is on a thread on this forum somewhere) and Sinclair actually stood up quite well against some of the top scorers in the Division. Not close to the top few but then not many were.

Ignore Sunderland as he mostly played as a wide player rather than the central forward. And considering we have stats when he actually played centrally for us (in the way he will be involved in the team if he signs again) makes the Sunderland stats further irrelevant.

The 4 goals in 16 games is misleading to a degree as he started 10, in which he got subbed off in 6 and he came on as a sub 6 times. It is better to look at the minutes per goal:

He played 942 mins scoring 4 goals. This equals a goal every 236 mins or a goal every 2.6 games. As said this stacks up against others.

Also remember Sinclair didn't score until his 6th game for us and showed considerable improvement in his positioning in front of goal under KR's tutelage (which he acknowledged in interviews). I suspect this improvement will continue next season if we were to sign him again.

Whether he hits 20 I don't know but in a full season (and staying fit), I think he will get close to it.

Stats from Soccerway.

I did an analysis based on minutes per goal previously (it is on a thread on this forum somewhere) and Sinclair actually stood up quite well against some of the top scorers in the Division. Not close to the top few but then not many were.

Ignore Sunderland as he mostly played as a wide player rather than the central forward. And considering we have stats when he actually played centrally for us (in the way he will be involved in the team if he signs again) makes the Sunderland stats further irrelevant.

The 4 goals in 16 games is misleading to a degree as he started 10, in which he got subbed off in 6 and he came on as a sub 6 times. It is better to look at the minutes per goal:

He played 942 mins scoring 4 goals. This equals a goal every 236 mins or a goal every 2.6 games. As said this stacks up against others.

Also remember Sinclair didn't score until his 6th game for us and showed considerable improvement in his positioning in front of goal under KR's tutelage (which he acknowledged in interviews). I suspect this improvement will continue next season if we were to sign him again.

Whether he hits 20 I don't know but in a full season (and staying fit), I think he will get close to it.
Good statistics agree that the goals per minute are more relevant.
Good point alsovwith regard to improving as he stayed here longer.

The view I think is that Sinclair got better and will continue to improve. His record per minutes was close to 20 goals a season I believe?
I'm not even sure that breaking the bank for a striker would necessarily work. Look at Sunderland with both Wyce and Grigg.
Look also at Marquis and Eves who were not big goalscorers until Donny, Gillingham picked them up
Marquis has done it at Donny for three seasons now.
I see they have confirmed that Sunderland have now made bids for him.

It will be a pretty decent statement of intent if we can pick these two up from Motherwell. Chris Cadden was being looked at by Hearts and Aberdeen and would have likely had interested higher up the leagues if he hadn't missed a few months with a knee injury.

Alex Rodriguez was being looked at by Blackburn and appears to be a younger Kashi. Both are exactly the time of players who we should be targeting. Young but with games under their belt, and ready to push on to the next level in their careers.

Throw in Fosu, CD and a handful of strikers and things will be looking pretty good!
Yes it's a statement of intent but with no substance at the moment, all the names being thrown around and still no one has signed.
All the 3 players you mentioned might end up somewhere else come the season start, names in papers, twitter, forums don't mean nothing until pen is put to paper..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom