Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deals don’t seem to be too complex for nearly every other club in the football league. Yeah there are some bread basket examples of clubs that have signed less players than us.
Many of which either have financial problems or already have very strong and successful squads. I’m not sure there are many that only have one recognised centre back in the building (Mous ain’t one and Nico ain’t ready) And one striker, yeah we could shuffle the pack and Whyte could play up front for example.
I don’t think anyone on here would disagree that we will have players in before the Sunderland game. But it’s not ideal.
I would also love to have your confidence on the quality of players that will join but we Seem to be missing out on players whilst others that might have signed for us are being snapped up.

There are not many "strong and successful" squads in place. Portsmouth and Sunderland have lost players, others have barely added. As frustrating as it is getting signings across the line, we are a centre back and striker away from a strong squad, especially if we add with a few young loanees.

So we are in exactly the same situation as nearly every other club in the football league, and the next couple of weeks will be when lots of business is done through the league.

You say youth having highlighted my post but where do I mention that. I see it as highly unlikely that youth players will be starting in our team come August 3rd. It would be nice to hear something positive from you once in a while. Marvin Johnson wasn’t a bad signing on deadline day. Many clubs are in our position. I am going to the game with a QPR mate on Saturday and like us they haven’t got any strikers but they so far haven’t paid any fees and he thinks won’t be either.
[/QUOTE QPR are a different kettle of fish
You say youth having highlighted my post but where do I mention that. I see it as highly unlikely that youth players will be starting in our team come August 3rd. It would be nice to hear something positive from you once in a while. Marvin Johnson wasn’t a bad signing on deadline day. Many clubs are in our position. I am going to the game with a QPR mate on Saturday and like us they haven’t got any strikers but they so far haven’t paid any fees and he thinks won’t be either.

Paul Smyth, Lewis Walker aren't strikers?

Say something positive? Try actually reading the posts, or is that a new directive from the forum police?
I've been to all of the friendlies bar Rangers, and posted many opinions and will continue to do. Don't like it, then simply use the ignore button.

"You say youth having highlighted my post but where do I mention that."
If I could make sense of rhat I would respond.

My point is simply that, having seen the youth get a lot of game time in the friendlies, they are not as ready as some think to make the step up. This was especially highlighted at Eastleigh and Woking. They have a lot of potential.

Hilarious. "don't like it, then simply use the ignore button". So much for alternative opinions that you champion so much eh?
But then you ignored me a while back so won't even read this.

I’m just hoping that we do bring 2 faces and I finish work at 17:00 so hopefully I finish with some good news.

Can we take it that if this does not happen, you will disappear and never post again?
Why are you such an angry little man! Isn’t the whole purpose of this forum so that fellow fans can interact. I’m hoping we bring in 2 faces by the time I finish work at 17:00. I think you need a holiday pal!

New poster here.

Been a season ticket holder since 1987, and a constant reader of everything on this and previous forums for years, and finally decided to register and join in with the fun and games!

I personally agree with both the more positively inclined posters, but can also sympathise with the concerns of the perceived more negative posters.

From a positive point of view, yes, we are targeting a higher calibre of player than the last couple of seasons, and yes, that will take time, as there will be other clubs (some bigger than us) interested, and even if we manage to get our bid accepted, the players themselves will have big decisions to make over wages/contracts being offered, living costs, and the potential for success or failure of the clubs on offer to them. Then the selling club will need to be sure of the players they have coming in before they agree to the sale of that player. All these things combined, take more time to get things finalised, so yes, patience is needed.

However, it's only worth the extra time if there's a genuine chance of getting these players in the first place, which in the case of Findlay, for example, I don't think there ever was, and I just hope we don't fall behind in our search for more realistic options, whilst chasing players who are realistically, currently out of our reach.

Under Mapp/Eales/Ashton, we developed a really impressive, and refreshing recruitment model, of bringing in young, hungry players, who were struggling to break through at their premiership clubs, and turning them into senior professionals, and then selling them on to a higher level for a profit, and then repeating the process, something that worked well for all concerned, helping kickstart the players career, and helping our club to progress on and off the pitch. We had become an attractive option to players, and their agents.

Unfortunately, due to Eales not being able to carry on funding the project, the wheels started to come off, and Mapp saw the kind of buyers who were looking to purchase the club, and due to his history at previous clubs, saw what was coming, and jumped ship.

From that point onwards, everything changed. Lindsay, the kind of player we had been attracting under the old regime, pulled the plug on his deal, and then the new management, calibre of player, and ownership of the club changed, and in a way, the clubs been in disarray ever since, with poor communication between the club and the fans, multiple WUP, wages not being paid, and poor recruitment (with a few exceptions) leading to a poor couple of seasons, and due to this summers transfer window being very similar to last, I can understand the concerns of the perceived "negative" posters on this forum.

There are still positives however. The training ground facility, investment in the u23 squad, for example.

Personally, I think it might be wise for Robbo to change his approach, and stop overloading the squad with midfielders/wingers, whilst neglecting both attack and defence (something he did last season as well) and create a more balanced squad, with strength in depth throughout, and if that means, for now, lowering his sights a little bit to build the foundations of a solid, balanced squad, then so be it.

We don't need to chase marquee signings to make us competitive this season, and I worry the time we're spending waiting around for players who, currently, are probably out of our reach, could be costing us the chance to get ahead of other clubs for more realistic targets.

I think we just need to get our house in order, from the top down, learn from previous mistakes, and make ourselves the serious, organised, professional and ambitious club that made us such an attractive option to players and agents under Mapp/Eales

Can we all make an attempt to introduce this word in to the polarised world of YellowsForum? I can’t help but think it would make it a nicer place to be.

Nuance

ˈnjuːɑːns

a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound.
"he was familiar with the nuances of the local dialect"
synonyms:fine distinction, subtle distinction/difference, shade, shading, gradation, variation, modulation, degree;More

Paul Smyth, Lewis Walker aren't strikers?

Say something positive? Try actually reading the posts, or is that a new directive from the forum police?
I've been to all of the friendlies bar Rangers, and posted many opinions and will continue to do. Don't like it, then simply use the ignore button.

"You say youth having highlighted my post but where do I mention that."
If I could make sense of rhat I would respond.

My point is simply that, having seen the youth get a lot of game time in the friendlies, they are not as ready as some think to make the step up. This was especially highlighted at Eastleigh and Woking. They have a lot of potential.
You say and youth might get us to the top after the first few games. Anyway I can’t be bothered anymore.

Last edited:
New poster here.

Been a season ticket holder since 1987, and a constant reader of everything on this and previous forums for years, and finally decided to register and join in with the fun and games!

I personally agree with both the more positively inclined posters, but can also sympathise with the concerns of the perceived more negative posters.

From a positive point of view, yes, we are targeting a higher calibre of player than the last couple of seasons, and yes, that will take time, as there will be other clubs (some bigger than us) interested, and even if we manage to get our bid accepted, the players themselves will have big decisions to make over wages/contracts being offered, living costs, and the potential for success or failure of the clubs on offer to them. Then the selling club will need to be sure of the players they have coming in before they agree to the sale of that player. All these things combined, take more time to get things finalised, so yes, patience is needed.

However, it's only worth the extra time if there's a genuine chance of getting these players in the first place, which in the case of Findlay, for example, I don't think there ever was, and I just hope we don't fall behind in our search for more realistic options, whilst chasing players who are realistically, currently out of our reach.

Under Mapp/Eales/Ashton, we developed a really impressive, and refreshing recruitment model, of bringing in young, hungry players, who were struggling to break through at their premiership clubs, and turning them into senior professionals, and then selling them on to a higher level for a profit, and then repeating the process, something that worked well for all concerned, helping kickstart the players career, and helping our club to progress on and off the pitch. We had become an attractive option to players, and their agents.

Unfortunately, due to Eales not being able to carry on funding the project, the wheels started to come off, and Mapp saw the kind of buyers who were looking to purchase the club, and due to his history at previous clubs, saw what was coming, and jumped ship.

From that point onwards, everything changed. Lindsay, the kind of player we had been attracting under the old regime, pulled the plug on his deal, and then the new management, calibre of player, and ownership of the club changed, and in a way, the clubs been in disarray ever since, with poor communication between the club and the fans, multiple WUP, wages not being paid, and poor recruitment (with a few exceptions) leading to a poor couple of seasons, and due to this summers transfer window being very similar to last, I can understand the concerns of the perceived "negative" posters on this forum.

There are still positives however. The training ground facility, investment in the u23 squad, for example.

Personally, I think it might be wise for Robbo to change his approach, and stop overloading the squad with midfielders/wingers, whilst neglecting both attack and defence (something he did last season as well) and create a more balanced squad, with strength in depth throughout, and if that means, for now, lowering his sights a little bit to build the foundations of a solid, balanced squad, then so be it.

We don't need to chase marquee signings to make us competitive this season, and I worry the time we're spending waiting around for players who, currently, are probably out of our reach, could be costing us the chance to get ahead of other clubs for more realistic targets.

I think we just need to get our house in order, from the top down, learn from previous mistakes, and make ourselves the serious, organised, professional and ambitious club that made us such an attractive option to players and agents under Mapp/Eales
What an excellent first post, Mad Dog 87! It's even nuanced :)

I have just been reading through the 2018 Summer Transfer thread for the same time period as now - much more optimism on there, no panic and to be fair we ended that season with a terrible squad! We have a far stronger squad now compared to then plus Gorrin and Fosu already added yet we are in the middle of mild hysteria!!!! Be interesting to compare the 2020 Summer transfer thread next summer!!!!!

Why are you such an angry little man! Isn’t the whole purpose of this forum so that fellow fans can interact. I’m hoping we bring in 2 faces by the time I finish work at 17:00. I think you need a holiday pal!
Sensitive type are we? Unable to join in with the more jocular nature of the forum?

Perhaps a less provocative nomenclature would be better suited. "Mythbuster" would seem to indicate that you consider yourself ITK. How about "Bored at work" - better?

New poster here.

welcome to the madhouse

Can we all make an attempt to introduce this word in to the polarised world of YellowsForum? I can’t help but think it would make it a nicer place to be.

Nuance

ˈnjuːɑːns

a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound.
"he was familiar with the nuances of the local dialect"
synonyms:fine distinction, subtle distinction/difference, shade, shading, gradation, variation, modulation, degree;More
I think you may be expecting a level of literacy far beyond most on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom