General Traffic Management

I did spot you exiting the `Bird at about 2pm or just after.............. nice hat. ? ? (y)
Cheers ;)..... indeed you did, with me youngest lad with me... usually leave the 'bird around 20- half past two on Saturday games, but being one of the (many) winners of a pair of free tickets (coupled with it being a bit colder than forecast), we allowed a bit of additional time to collect said tickets

For me personally this traffic management system is a disaster as I am fortunate that I have parked in the Science Park for the last 3 years. So not being able to get out of the Science Park and turn right at a roundabout at either end makes me have to go back to the stadium and not only turn around to join a long line of traffic but wait for it all to come out of the car parks before I can join it as some bloke holds a stop sign for 15 minutes, so probably adding 20-30 minutes to my get home time. So I may as well be back in the stadium car park now.

It so happened I was picked up at the stadium on Saturday so didn't have my car, but the person picking me up said no way not again as they were stopped getting to the stadium to get to the pick up point due to the stop go in operation favouring the car park so much.

I don't mind traffic management initiatives within the car park and stadium complex but I see no valid reason why they should affect traffic direction on a public highway (and it seems blocking a public footpath that is well used by fans after a match too). It is worth noting that the science park is a 24/7 operation and science doesn't stop for the weekend for everyone so this football traffic calming measure will affect local business detrimentally too if they can't get in and out of their workplace when they have to.

We've all put up with car park problems for almost 20 years and it hasn't been a reason for anyone to stop going. Doesn't need changing in my view and it is an accepted problem of going to watch Oxford United. I've had far worse traffic experiences at other grounds, in fact we should be grateful that there even is a car park. And MK next week is a £7 rip off to park and the traffic getting out will be worse.
The footpath was not blocked it was partially blocked. The company attempting to improve the traffic should definitely have consulted the science park though if they didn't. Disaster! Bit of an overreaction isn't it?

The footpath was not blocked it was partially blocked. The company attempting to improve the traffic should definitely have consulted the science park though if they didn't. Disaster! Bit of an overreaction isn't it?
If closing the roundabouts which I'm doubtful about does improve traffic would it be that problematical for the science park for only a few hours during match days? A bit of give and take?

For me personally this traffic management system is a disaster as I am fortunate that I have parked in the Science Park for the last 3 years. So not being able to get out of the Science Park and turn right at a roundabout at either end makes me have to go back to the stadium and not only turn around to join a long line of traffic but wait for it all to come out of the car parks before I can join it as some bloke holds a stop sign for 15 minutes, so probably adding 20-30 minutes to my get home time. So I may as well be back in the stadium car park now.

It so happened I was picked up at the stadium on Saturday so didn't have my car, but the person picking me up said no way not again as they were stopped getting to the stadium to get to the pick up point due to the stop go in operation favouring the car park so much.

I don't mind traffic management initiatives within the car park and stadium complex but I see no valid reason why they should affect traffic direction on a public highway (and it seems blocking a public footpath that is well used by fans after a match too). It is worth noting that the science park is a 24/7 operation and science doesn't stop for the weekend for everyone so this football traffic calming measure will affect local business detrimentally too if they can't get in and out of their workplace when they have to.

We've all put up with car park problems for almost 20 years and it hasn't been a reason for anyone to stop going. Doesn't need changing in my view and it is an accepted problem of going to watch Oxford United. I've had far worse traffic experiences at other grounds, in fact we should be grateful that there even is a car park. And MK next week is a £7 rip off to park and the traffic getting out will be worse.
I don't think you have said you work at the science park but do you know whether there has ever been talk about raising money perhaps for charity to charge fans to park in science park? Or are the science parks still well used during matches? Or perhaps there is an insurance issue?

We have a ridiculous amount of free car parking spaces.
The club get whinged at for the time it takes to get out of the car park and people suggest the police should be directing traffic!
The club spend good money on experts to work out and trial some solutions.

Whilst some of the solutions seem bizarre to us lets give them a chance.

The traffic cones across the roundabouts guarantees an uninterrupted flow of traffic away from the ground. People will get used to it and perhaps be picked up from places such as Littlemoore a short walk away rather than add to the traffic.

If it pushes people onto public transport even better!

How about some radical ideas like the following:
1- Vehicles with 1 occupant not allowed access to the East or West car park... overflow only.
2- Right turn only out of the West exit from the stadium and Left turn only from the East exit.
2a - Traffic heading left from the overflow should be directed around the North Stand and follow the East stand traffic out having a one way system up towards the north stand.

We have a ridiculous amount of free car parking spaces.
The club get whinged at for the time it takes to get out of the car park and people suggest the police should be directing traffic!
The club spend good money on experts to work out and trial some solutions.

Whilst some of the solutions seem bizarre to us lets give them a chance.

The traffic cones across the roundabouts guarantees an uninterrupted flow of traffic away from the ground. People will get used to it and perhaps be picked up from places such as Littlemoore a short walk away rather than add to the traffic.

If it pushes people onto public transport even better!

How about some radical ideas like the following:
1- Vehicles with 1 occupant not allowed access to the East or West car park... overflow only.
2- Right turn only out of the West exit from the stadium and Left turn only from the East exit.
2a - Traffic heading left from the overflow should be directed around the North Stand and follow the East stand traffic out having a one way system up towards the north stand.
Good post, yes we do have more parking than most clubs. How people could have got irate when the intention is all good!

Private message me if there is more than one space there please ?

Its no secret that, just outside the matchday CPZ, there are loads of spaces if you arrive promptly.
I heard a rumour that parking behind the shops is unrestricted as well...................... at your own risk be it..

I've always said there should be a ban on cars entering the car park from the final whistle until the carpark is empty. It's been ridiculous waiting for cars to edge their way against the traffic flow and has been a major factor in slowing the egress. Well done I say.

I've always said there should be a ban on cars entering the car park from the final whistle until the carpark is empty. It's been ridiculous waiting for cars to edge their way against the traffic flow and has been a major factor in slowing the egress. Well done I say.
Having done that, the next logical step would be to have two lanes of traffic allowing traffic to filter in from both sides of the car park and a control at the end to alternate vehicles into the exit road.

Shall start selling dummies on the way to the ground (wearing half and half scarves)...
20140404__dummy1.jpg

I've always said there should be a ban on cars entering the car park from the final whistle until the carpark is empty.
I don't disagree but presumably the cinema, etc would disagree? I've long pitied the families edging their way through the throngs cursing they hadn't checked the footie schedule before booking...

I don't disagree but presumably the cinema, etc would disagree? I've long pitied the families edging their way through the throngs cursing they hadn't checked the footie schedule before booking...

Apart from the fact that in the original planning permission for the cinema it was not supposed to operate at the same time as home games - something else Ka$$am ignored and the council did f#ck all about!

Any issues last night?
My family members just got a space in the over flow car park after enduring an hour and half journey from Kidlington after they left at 5pm, they said it was really easy to get out at the end on the match.

Any issues last night?
My family members just got a space in the over flow car park after enduring an hour and half journey from Kidlington after they left at 5pm, they said it was really easy to get out at the end on the match.
It appears that the change in the traffic management speeded up the traffic from what I could see.
I am sure that some people had to wait a long time due to just the amount of traffic due to the full house.
There were dozens of cars parked on the grass verges. Were the traffic wardens out in force?

Park & ride from unipart worked very well for us. Little slow getting back to unipart but to be expected.

If the new traffic management arrangements have caused disruption and annoyance to those working up at the science park this is absolutely fantastic news and long may it continue. They’ve sat on a huge pool of unused parking for two decades without the hint of ever being supportive or amenable to helping their supporting local community out. They comfortably watch the chaos and pain of the drivers struggling in and out of the football ground. And their parking is almost entirely unused at this time ...they could even make plenty of money and still have parking for their people.

it stinks of elitism and snobbery. I chuckled heartily watching an irked Mercedes leaving and get stuck by the roundabout block pre match

Back
Top Bottom