General Traffic Management

If the new traffic management arrangements have caused disruption and annoyance to those working up at the science park this is absolutely fantastic news and long may it continue. They’ve sat on a huge pool of unused parking for two decades without the hint of ever being supportive or amenable to helping their supporting local community out. They comfortably watch the chaos and pain of the drivers struggling in and out of the football ground. And their parking is almost entirely unused at this time ...they could even make plenty of money and still have parking for their people.

it stinks of elitism and snobbery. I chuckled heartily watching an irked Mercedes leaving and get stuck by the roundabout block pre match

Why don't the science park do like the industrial estates did in mk. Where they charge and give all proceeds to charity.

If the new traffic management arrangements have caused disruption and annoyance to those working up at the science park this is absolutely fantastic news and long may it continue. They’ve sat on a huge pool of unused parking for two decades without the hint of ever being supportive or amenable to helping their supporting local community out. They comfortably watch the chaos and pain of the drivers struggling in and out of the football ground. And their parking is almost entirely unused at this time ...they could even make plenty of money and still have parking for their people.

it stinks of elitism and snobbery. I chuckled heartily watching an irked Mercedes leaving and get stuck by the roundabout block pre match
It's not worth antagonizing people working in the science park but would be a great gesture if they allowed fans to park in science park for the benefit of a local charity or similar.

I don't disagree that the science park could be used for parking and I wished that for many years before I was able to park there anyway. However I think it is a bit more complicated than that as it actually isn't the science park's car park to permit football users to use the car parks. The science park lease the buildings with parking spaces to their tenants on a 24/7 basis. So it would be the tenants' permission that would have to be obtained to allow fans to use their spaces, which may not be permitted anyway under the terms of their lease. I could be wrong but I don't think there is a large general parking area not reserved for tenants parking that could be used. Further the science park do charge quite a sizeable annual service charge to the tenants for the maintenance and upkeep of the science park as a whole. So if there are lots of non-science park people and cars using the facilities I don't think the tenants will be that pleased that they then have to pay the costs of damage or wear and tear as a result of football traffic using the park. It's a shame because clearly there is a vast area that could be used to relieve some of the traffic problems especially as the area is largely empty on match days, but the legal mechanics of it might be difficult to overcome.

I don't disagree that the science park could be used for parking and I wished that for many years before I was able to park there anyway. However I think it is a bit more complicated than that as it actually isn't the science park's car park to permit football users to use the car parks. The science park lease the buildings with parking spaces to their tenants on a 24/7 basis. So it would be the tenants' permission that would have to be obtained to allow fans to use their spaces, which may not be permitted anyway under the terms of their lease. I could be wrong but I don't think there is a large general parking area not reserved for tenants parking that could be used. Further the science park do charge quite a sizeable annual service charge to the tenants for the maintenance and upkeep of the science park as a whole. So if there are lots of non-science park people and cars using the facilities I don't think the tenants will be that pleased that they then have to pay the costs of damage or wear and tear as a result of football traffic using the park. It's a shame because clearly there is a vast area that could be used to relieve some of the traffic problems especially as the area is largely empty on match days, but the legal mechanics of it might be difficult to overcome.

I'm sure if all parties got together, an arrangement could be made if they were willing.

So did everyone arriving after 1815hrs only arrive by bus or walk?

There is plenty of parking for people to turn up even an hour later than that, park nearby, walk a short distance to the ground, queue for a stupid length of time to get inside the ground and not miss kick off.

The club have already spent good money employing a traffic management company to make it easier for those parking at the ground.

A secure bike storage area, maybe with a shower and locker or two, would be a smarter addition.

I parked in Littlemore last night just before the parking enforcement comes in to affect. I found it alot easier than parking at the stadium, I was home at 10.30 which is good going. Now if the council scrapped the permit holders and had designated parking bays in the enforcement area a few more would do this.

So did everyone arriving after 1815hrs only arrive by bus or walk?

There is plenty of parking for people to turn up even an hour later than that, park nearby, walk a short distance to the ground, queue for a stupid length of time to get inside the ground and not miss kick off.

The club have already spent good money employing a traffic management company to make it easier for those parking at the ground.

A secure bike storage area, maybe with a shower and locker or two, would be a smarter addition.

No.

For example I flew in from Texas. Drove from London. Reached oxford at 545pm. Got to the stadium due to traffic at 645pm. Had to park way past the Catherine Wheel (after driving around for ages) and then trudge 25 mins to the ground through muddy verges in the rain past a stinking sewer plant.

Do we want fans to want to come back for games like Shrewsbury and Lincoln in February rather than watch the champions league on tv? Then we probably need to make it a better experience

Show me any grounds that have ideal parking, you just get on with it!

Says the king of moaning.

The point is plenty of floating fans don’t bother and won’t bother until we get it right so snappy little lines about “what a no-nonsense little fella” you are seem a little irrelevant.

Show me any grounds that have ideal parking, you just get on with it!

Mk but the industrial estates help with that. Plus the £7 parking at the stadium puts a few off.

Maybe we can charge for parking. Just don't tell kassam ?

So we build 12500 parking spaces for one game a season?

Or advertise well a reasonably priced reliable Park and Ride service for each big game that comes along.

Or advertise well a reasonably priced reliable Park and Ride service for each big game that comes along.

Or maybe get a deal with all the stakeholders at the Science Park where there is already 000s of parking places.

Mk but the industrial estates help with that. Plus the £7 parking at the stadium puts a few off.

Maybe we can charge for parking. Just don't tell kassam ?
It was a condition of building the stadium and Ozone that parking would need to be free of charge.

It was a condition of building the stadium and Ozone that parking would need to be free of charge.

Did wonder why kassam hasn't tried charging us after he left.

Or maybe get a deal with all the stakeholders at the Science Park where there is already 000s of parking places.
Then people will fill that up just as quickly with less travelling by alternative methods.

Problem with unipart is unless your coming from the east or north its not easy to get to by car. There needs to be an option for fans travelling from south or west. Maybe Redbridge Park and ride. I wouldnt mind that option if the bus was cheap enough and frequent enough.

Back
Top Bottom