National News track n trace?

It all seems very 'analogue' in this digital world.

If you phoned up to say you thought you had the virus and then you tested positive, and they asked you who you've been closer than 2 metres to (not in your household) for more than fifteen minutes wouldn't you be admitting to breaking the rules - and 'dobbing your mates in' too? Sentencing them to two weeks at home, isolating? I can imagine that wouldn't make you the most popular person in your peer group and that some people (especially those younger ones who are experiencing very mild symptoms) will not report for that reason. Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Anyone can download the app that was being trialled on the IoW - things have gone very quiet which suggests its functionality was less than expected.

Seems the "Trackers" got notified yesterday evening to start today, some issues with the online portal this morning.

And the "Privacy lobby" aren`t over enamoured with it even the physical "dobbing folk in" Doing your civic duty......

its very bizarre, if i have a positive result for Covid, i give them the contact details of all the people i have been in close contact - they then phone them telling them to self isolate for 14 days.
1) why wouldn't i just tell the people (instead of passing THEIR details to effectively a 3rd party)
2) if im contacted, how do you confirm its genuine?
3) if contacted - you have to self isolate but members of your household are fine to go out etc...

this Dido lady is the same lady, that was in charge of TalkTalk when they had the huge data theft :)

I feel sorry for the tracing staff. They'll have to get used to being told to 'f**k off'.

If the demise of football is as great as some predict then there may be some referees available.

its very bizarre, if i have a positive result for Covid, i give them the contact details of all the people i have been in close contact - they then phone them telling them to self isolate for 14 days.
1) why wouldn't i just tell the people (instead of passing THEIR details to effectively a 3rd party)
3) if contacted - you have to self isolate but members of your household are fine to go out etc...

this Dido lady is the same lady, that was in charge of TalkTalk when they had the huge data theft :)

I assume because they will then see who they were in close contact with and also call them, so will be taking to at least a stage further then you just calling round those you have been near.

Anyone can download the app that was being trialled on the IoW - things have gone very quiet which suggests its functionality was less than expected.

Maybe no-one told them you had to turn the Island's phone on.

I assume because they will then see who they were in close contact with and also call them, so will be taking to at least a stage further then you just calling round those you have been near.
but that doesn't add up with the bit about people in your house hold not having to self isolate

The info is obviously clear to everyone, then. Phew - won’t be a disaster.

Well fingers crossed the tracers doing the contacting are clear with their instructions!!!

Well, that's a good point. Evidently Health Authorities have trained professionals who do this sort of thing, but not many. The vast majority of the trackers have been recruited at minimum wage by call-centre operators, e.g, Serco, with no medical / social training or capability pre-requisites. According to the Private Eye article I'm basing this post on training is done on the internet with a trainer training more than 100 people at a go and unable to give time to answer all questions.

The other thing I haven't quite worked out.

You phone up at let's say 10pm, say you've got a dry cough and have lost your sense of taste. 'Blimey, gadzooks - it sounds as if thou hast ye plague. We will send out a test kit.'

Is it a) Test kit goes out in the post next day, you get it the day after and post it back, it gets to the lab the day after. Test results the next day. That is at least three days after you notified them. From say Sunday evening to sometime Wednesday or Thursday. So in the meanwhile, all those you may have infected are wandering about even before they are contacted. They then go through the same procedure.

or b) You immediately tell them all of your contacts as soon as they think you might have it - on the initial phone call. The track and track people immediately phone them all up and tell them to stay at home. The the kit is sent out. Until the result is determined, all of those contacts have to self isolate and stay at home. The test comes back negative. So everyone can now go out again, having spend three days not working at no notice.

I must be missing something here because the first way seems hugely slow and ineffective, the second way a recipe for absolute chaos.

1. So they can sanction people who don't isolate - like with the 'Stay at Home' demand.
2. God knows. Perhaps there's a password.
3. I think they might ask you about that and take a science-driven approach.

Currently...........
I have symptoms - I get a test - I isolate for 7 days. Everyone in the house has to do 14 days to allow time for development or not.
We are supposed to be staying at home (barring the caveats etc).
We are supposed to stay 2 metres away from others.

What is going to change that will bring me, or others in the house in contact/proximity to others who need to be traced?

Answer.... nothing for now.

I would surmise that the idea of launching now is that the "system" will get up to speed for when we are at Covid Level 1 or 2........... as & when that is probably August/September time.

saw something on twitter where an American asked a Chinese person puts up with the tracker on their phone.
answer was something like ...
It's compulsory to download your health ID to the phone., the app then has a traffic light colour to identifty your health status: red got the virus, orange either not finished quarantine or been in contact with someone with the virus, and green for symptom free.
and you can't use trains or planes etc without first showing the health ID.

more here

The American then asked why they put up with this, and the retort was to enter the US you have to provide 10 fingerprints and a retina scan.
---

Anyway, I live in a terrace where the next door neighbours had a family bbq last week, so would I be flagged as being in close proximity if one of them gets it? and then have to isolate?

Anyway, I live in a terrace where the next door neighbours had a family bbq last week, so would I be flagged as being in close proximity if one of them gets it? and then have to isolate?
i believe it mentioned you would have to be within 1-2 meter contact for approx 15mins (continuous) or more to be required to self isolate

This all seems very clumsy for a process that has been held up as the biggest step forward in fighting the virus.

I dont really get what the big difference is as opposed to the current situation - will people who get it not have been letting those on their contact list know that they are ill and might have been contagious all along? Or is it purely the availability of tests for the public to actually check whether whatever symptoms they have are it or not, rather than just assuming one way or tother?

I heard somewhere that all of the calls will come from one single number (presumably highly publicised) so that you can tell if it is genuine, but an awful lot of people won't know that, or remember to check, so the potential for large amounts of scamming is very high I fear

Back
Top Bottom