Championship Topical?

I'll be wearing a poppy.

I'll be going to the local Remembrance service and with my dad, laying a wreath to remember his brother who gave his life in North Africa during WW2.

I have absolutely no problem with McClean not wearing a poppy. I have more of an issue with the outrage by some people towards public figures who don't wear one.

Is this now an annual thing about McClean and the Poppy? It seems to come up year after year.

I don't care if he does or doesn't as it is a personal choice.

If he doesn’t want to wear one, or anyone else then why should he/they? Wearing one because you are forced to is not showing respect is it.

Always found McCleans attitude to the UK a bit hypocritical though, plenty of teams around the world he could play for rather than ply his trade in a country he obviously has a problem with, I suppose everyone has their price though.

If he doesn’t want to wear one, or anyone else then why should he/they? Wearing one because you are forced to is not showing respect is it.

Always found McCleans attitude to the UK a bit hypocritical though, plenty of teams around the world he could play for rather than ply his trade in a country he obviously has a problem with, I suppose everyone has their price though.

He is a 100% full on t**t of the highest order, and there is plenty not to like about him. But the whole poppy issue is not one of them in my view.

I think it was David Cameron who used to wear two, one on his suit jacket, one on his shirt just in case he took his jacket off and there was a risk of being photographed without one. The hysteria around it is bizarre.

It is right to allow him to make his decision however he has gone on record saying that he would wear a poppy if it remembered just the two world wars. Now this might be a bit simplistic, but why doesn't he have a special poppy with WW1 and WW2 written across it?

There’s a weird irony about the poppy nowadays. If you’re a public figure and spotted without one, it’s then all over social media and the ‘poppy fascists’ come out in force to hound said person. Considering that the Royal British Legion supports the dwindling number of conscripts and volunteers who fought fascism in World War II, to have some demand it be worn by all of is hypocritical.

James McClean hasn’t exactly made it easy for himself in the past. He has had an attitude of seeing it as a major badge of honour not to wear one but I know Pulis had a chat with him a few years ago (after he intentionally bowed his head during the UK national anthem) and he seemed to mellow somewhat. Just leave him alone to get on with it - there’s no need for further explanations or club statements, is there? He’s made it clear what his position is.

Wear a poppy if you want to. Don’t force it upon those who don’t want to.

He was born in the UK, so why shouldn't he ply his trade here?

He was born in the UK, so why shouldn't he ply his trade here?

Because he doesn’t like the country? Chose to play for the republic, instead of the country he was born in. If he really had morals he would go and earn his money elsewhere, instead he plays in England as it’s where he can make the most money.

Same crap every year, I do not support forcing anyone to wear a poppy. Buy I have zero tolerance for anyone who shows our fallen disrespect!

I have been honoured many times by being in a position to lay a wreath at various cenotaphs over the years and when we lay a wreath it's in remembrance of all our fallen no matter their faith, background or ethnic origin, its all about respect.

McClean is a provo loving scumbag who has no problem wearing the easter lilly badge in support of his IRA heroes and has lots of republican tattoos. This is not just about what happened in Londonderry before he was born. He hates anything remotely British apart from our money of course.

A couple of years ago at a pre season friendly he turned his back on the St Georges cross and disrespected GSTQ.

He's rat!

People inflicting their own moral standards on others is almost as bad as displaying moral outrage about the wearing or non-wearing of a poppy.

My father served in Burma in WW2. I will wear a poppy and stand in silence at our local cenotaph with hundreds of others.

If McClean - or anyone else - has their own political beliefs that manifests itself in a determination not to commemorate British war dead, that's fine by me. Seems some people actually object to another holding a different belief to them. That's a step on the slippery slope to extreme intolerance.

Agree to an extent, l my forefathers served and I have visited relatives graves in Flanders etc.

But it's McClean who is being intolerant in my opinion. And I will say again I do not want to see people 'forced' to wear a poppy. But some respect should be shown and he has none..

It’s amazing that considering the poppy is to remember people who fought for this country and in doing so gave us free speech, that it is a bit rich to be outraged when someone else holds a different view to them.

McClean has called some Stoke fans who booed him at the weekend 'uneducated cavemen apparently.
He sure knows how to get people onside..

Quite. Many people support his right to not wear a poppy. Surely the best way to treat the boo boys is to ignore them?

(Two caveats though: it's not always easy to ignore people's views on this forum so I understand his frustration, and McClean is probably accurate in his description of some Stoke fans).
However true Pate, he would be well advised not saying things like that about the clubs own supporters.
Football fans are incredibly sensitive (somebody on here was asking whether KR was having a go at Oxford fans when he praised Charlton fans)
One thing you have to give him though, he has very thick skin.

I think it’s the current way to say you’re proud of your country but “aren’t being racist”. Perhaps the revival of the poppy came with anniversaries of WW1 and WW2 significant dates but it’s now been hijacked and I doubt many people under 30 have a direct connection to the wars from living relatives.

Back
Top Bottom