Top of League 1

Yellow River

I’ve spent most of this season studying the lower reaches of League 1 and Oxford’s chances of avoiding the drop.

However a quick look at the top shows that Luton are pretty much nailed on for promotion. The other automatic spot is far from certain though. I assumed that Sunderland with their huge financial advantage would be clear favourites for a straight return to the Championship. It might be tight down the bottom but it’s also tight at the top.

If Barnsley win next Saturday at home to Coventry they will be 8 points ahead of Sunderland (who play in Checkatrade final next Sunday) but having played 3 games more, and with just 6 games left after that. Also worth noting Barnsley’s goal difference currently +7 better than Sunderland.

So it’s still in Sunderland’s own hands. But would you rather be in Barnsley’s or Sunderland’s position?

I’ve spent most of this season studying the lower reaches of League 1 and Oxford’s chances of avoiding the drop.

However a quick look at the top shows that Luton are pretty much nailed on for promotion. The other automatic spot is far from certain though. I assumed that Sunderland with their huge financial advantage would be clear favourites for a straight return to the Championship. It might be tight down the bottom but it’s also tight at the top.

If Barnsley win next Saturday at home to Coventry they will be 8 points ahead of Sunderland (who play in Checkatrade final next Sunday) but having played 3 games more, and with just 6 games left after that. Also worth noting Barnsley’s goal difference currently +7 better than Sunderland.

So it’s still in Sunderland’s own hands. But would you rather be in Barnsley’s or Sunderland’s position?
Mackems winning Shaun Harveys trophy, but missing out on direct promotion, and losing out on the first stage of playoffs may be worth a punt for those with gambling tendencies methinks? :unsure:

Still think Sunderland will take second place. Not winning the league is already an underachievement, so not getting automatic would be a real failure. Losing the playoffs and not getting promoted at all would be a full on disaster. If that happens they’ll have to do even more unloading than they already have in the last 12 months.

If Barnsley beat Coventry they will be in a much better position.
Sunderland are very inconsistent and draw a lot of games.
Barnsley are 1/4 with the bookies.

Still think Sunderland will take second place. Not winning the league is already an underachievement, so not getting automatic would be a real failure. Losing the playoffs and not getting promoted at all would be a full on disaster. If that happens they’ll have to do even more unloading than they already have in the last 12 months.
Mmm I think that Sunderland will do very well to make second. Barnsley in the box seat I would say.

Rather be in Barnsley's position with the points on the board especially if they win next week. If Barnsley do get 8 points clear then the pressure builds on massively for Sunderland in every game. And they will be playing Saturday then midweek for most of the remaining weeks this season so fatigue becomes a potential problem as well.

Barnsley should hold on to second. As others have mentioned, Sunderland draw a lot and have been pretty luck with some of those points. Barnsley have quietly gone about winning games and a win at Coventry should give them a big enough buffer to see them home and hosed. Sunderland have 8 games in April including Doncaster, Peterborough, Portsmouth and Fleetwood in 11 days where they're likely to drop points.

That leaves the playoffs and the possibility of two Wembley defeats to Pompey in the space of a few weeks. Despite Charles and co. talking of stability this season, anything but promotion could have a devastating effect on their finances. It would be ironic if this all occurred at the same time as Erick arrives here with a heavy wallet!!

I realised something funny the other day. £4 million striker Will Grigg has scored less league goals (2) in 2019 than Jamie Mackie (3), who we got on a free and plays for a team that isn't free scoring. LOL

As much as it sticks in my craw to say it, Luton have done spectacularly well this season. They will almost certainly have a much smaller playing budget than either Sunderland and Barnsley, and I think they spent less in the summer on transfers than we did.

What they managed to do was keep the League Two promotion band together......I don't blame us for cashing in when we did - that's really the model for a lower league club like us - but it just makes you wonder what would have happened if we had been able to keep the likes of Roofe, O'Dowda & co. and attack League One with the same squad that at times tore up League Two.

On the Sunderland vs. Barnsley issue, as well as the points on the board, here's the remaining fixtures:
Barnsley: Coventry (H), Burton (A), Fleetwood (H), Shrewsbury (H), Plymouth (A), Blackpool (H), Bristol Rovers (A)
Sunderland: Accrington (A), Rochdale (A), Burton (H), Coventry (H), Doncaster (H), Peterborough (A), Portsmouth (H), Fleetwood (A), Southend (A).

Would seem to favour Barnsley in a big way. That run Sunderland have at the end of April is a really nasty one.

Getting really interesting now - Sunderland & Barnsley's slightly scratchy form has allowed Pompey back in (albeit by winning their last six).

Sunderland vs. Pompey next Saturday is now looking huge.
Although if that ends in a draw, you'd have to fancy Barnsley as their last three games are against much weaker teams than the others.

Donald more likely to sell for big bucks if Sunderland get to the Championship. If Donald comes knocking on the door with £30M+ in his back pocket, backed up by the financial might of Sartori, would Tiger be able to say no..?

Asking for a friend..

Why would Sartori want to ‘invest in OUFC when he’s already involved at Sunderland? Much bigger fish and money making potential.

Donald & Methven perhaps one day in the future because of their emotional attachment to Oxford but Sartori? can’t see it.

Why would Sartori want to ‘invest in OUFC when he’s already involved at Sunderland? Much bigger fish and money making potential.

Donald & Methven perhaps one day in the future because of their emotional attachment to Oxford but Sartori? can’t see it.

Satori only has a 20% stake(according to Wikipedia), maybe he may see it more worthwhile cashing in his shares, and buying a team outright and getting them into the championship, he may see it as a better option than getting whatever he may get from keeping his 20% shares. (clutching at straws at this point)

Getting really interesting now - Sunderland & Barnsley's slightly scratchy form has allowed Pompey back in (albeit by winning their last six).

Sunderland vs. Pompey next Saturday is now looking huge.
Although if that ends in a draw, you'd have to fancy Barnsley as their last three games are against much weaker teams than the others.
Not quite winner take all, but if Pompey or Sunderland win they will be in a great position.
Barnsley will be praying for a draw

Would Sartori still be able to be involved - or even want to - if Donald sold up? A new owner might not want Sartori owning 20% and offer to buy him out, and didn’t he only get involved because of Donald in the first place? It’s all conjecture anyway though, there’s no indication that our present owners would be willing to sell up even if Donald did ever find himself in a position to make an offer. And now there’s interesting tweets from them about a new ground..

One way or the other I do feel that we’re approaching interesting times.

Looking like the playoffs for Sunderland after today's results. Which is a pretty big failure given their financial advantage.

Even if they beat Pompey next weekend, they'll need Barnsley to drop points.
You never know with the end of season pressure ratcheting up - but Blackpool (H) and Bristol Rovers (A) should be six points for them.

Course Pompey have it in their own hands if they can win at the Stadium of Light, and then win their next two...….

Looking like the playoffs for Sunderland after today's results. Which is a pretty big failure given their financial advantage.

Even if they beat Pompey next weekend, they'll need Barnsley to drop points.
You never know with the end of season pressure ratcheting up - but Blackpool (H) and Bristol Rovers (A) should be six points for them.

Course Pompey have it in their own hands if they can win at the Stadium of Light, and then win their next two...….
funny old game is football...at this stage of the season absolutely nothing is ever a given

Was all that effort chasing Will Grigg worth it? It's not like he's scored or been a key part of the team. Sinclair has scored the same amount of goals, in a team that scores less

Was all that effort chasing Will Grigg worth it? It's not like he's scored or been a key part of the team. Sinclair has scored the same amount of goals, in a team that scores less
For a few quid less too!! Sunderland thought that they'd walk the league then when it didn't look do easy in January they thought they'd buy their way out.

Playoffs will be a failure, as was the checkatrade final. And this is on top of their last few years of failures. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draw against Pompey on Saturday to hand second place to Barnsley, then get beat by Charlton in the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom