Top of League 1

Lutons success shows you that a good, hungry, fit, organised team with talent can beat a side who have a big financial advantage but are used to losing and in a bit of disarray. Bit gutting for me as I stood to win £1,500 of a tenner if Lincoln, Liverpool and Sunderland came out on top but I cashed that bet in for a decent profit a bit back when I realised Sunderland don’t win enough games, they don’t seem to have been able to shake off the failing mentality they had for years.

Looking like the playoffs for Sunderland after today's results. Which is a pretty big failure given their financial advantage.

Even if they beat Pompey next weekend, they'll need Barnsley to drop points.
You never know with the end of season pressure ratcheting up - but Blackpool (H) and Bristol Rovers (A) should be six points for them.

Course Pompey have it in their own hands if they can win at the Stadium of Light, and then win their next two...….
A huge failure if they don't make it which looks odd against now.
Grigg has turned out to be a poor signing for the money but to be fair Sunderland are not in the same class as Wigan were last season when Grigg scored all of those goals .
Barnsley look in the best position now unless Pompey can win Saturday.
The play offs could be quite something.
Pompey v Sunderland final again?

If Sunderland & Portsmouth both win their game in hand on Tuesday against Fleetwood (away) & Peterborough (home) respectfully, the top 4 teams come next Saturday will be,

Luton 91 points. Goal Difference 46
Barnsley 91 points. GD 42
Portsmouth 90 points. GD 33 (currently)
Sunderland 88 points. GD 35 (currently)

If Pompey & Sunderland win on Tuesday they will naturally increase their goal difference.

For Luton to now be in with a chance of missing out on automatic promotion seemed unthinkable just a few weeks ago. Can we go there and spoil their party?

Final games of the season are,
Luton v Oxford.
B Rovers v Barnsley.
Pompey v Accrington.
Southend v Sunderland.

So we just need to beat Luton by 7 or 8 to give Sunderland a chance of getting the goal difference back with Barnsley and Pompey winning so that Luton finish 4th. :)

So we just need to beat Luton by 7 or 8 to give Sunderland a chance of getting the goal difference back with Barnsley and Pompey winning so that Luton finish 4th. :)
would get our GD into plus instead of minus (-3 currently)

Back
Top Bottom