Too many players

psquared

I know everyone wants to see some new blood coming in to the squad during this January window, but I am getting concerned over the number of players we have on our books. Especially as we don't have anyone in charge trying to move them out, albeit if only on loan.

At the back we have 5 central defenders now; Martin, Williamson, Mousinho, Raglan & Dickie and that doesn't count Nelson. We already have two (Kelleher & Long) on loan.
In central midfield we are awash with players; Ledson, Ruffels, Mowatt, Brannagan, Ashby, Xemi and we're told Pekalski is in full time training. Rothwell can't be too far off being fit as well.
Out wide there's; Henry, Napa, Buckley-Ricketts and Hall due back soon.
And as the front men; Thomas, Obika, Van Kessel & Mehmeti. We have already loaned out Roberts and Hemmings.

If we want to bring in some talent, someone needs to find a way to at least loan out some of our squad. I'd start with Xemi, can't see him being top of the list with Cameron B now with us and Ivo P nearly back to full fitness.

• React
Reactions: Ian
It all comes down to how quickly we can get people fit. If we could put out;

Eastwood
Long, Dickie, Raglan, Ruffels/Ricardinho
Ledson, Brannagan, Ivo
Buckley-Ricketts, Thomas, Hall

Then I think we'd have a half decent side. Play the same side as we did against Bury and I'd be less confident.

It all comes down to how quickly we can get people fit. If we could put out;

Eastwood
Long, Dickie, Raglan, Ruffels/Ricardinho
Ledson, Brannagan, Ivo
Buckley-Ricketts, Thomas, Hall

Then I think we'd have a half decent side. Play the same side as we did against Bury and I'd be less confident.

Assuming we still have Lego, not sure when Hall is due to return. I don't think Long as RB, Carroll is not the answer but I believe he is better than Long

IMO Priority signings are:
Left back as I thihk Tricky Riccy woiuld be a great left midfielder - he has great attacking mentality but is a mediocre defender.
Right back - Only Tiendalli at the moment. Carroll might develop but nowhere near good enough yet. Could try Dickie but we'd be papering over cracks.

Assuming we still have Lego, not sure when Hall is due to return. I don't think Long as RB, Carroll is not the answer but I believe he is better than Long

Personally I think Sam Long has always done a decent job for us but has been unlucky to pick up injuries at the wrong time. Carroll is possibly one for the future but probably not at right back.

Personally I think Sam Long has always done a decent job for us but has been unlucky to pick up injuries at the wrong time. Carroll is possibly one for the future but probably not at right back.
Sam Long? Injury prone - nice lad but Conference at best. Carroll needs to go out on loan at Conference or L2 level - he's not anywhere near L1 yet.

Sam Long? Injury prone - nice lad but Conference at best. Carroll needs to go out on loan at Conference or L2 level - he's not anywhere near L1 yet.

I'm only talking about to the end of the season and assuming no one else comes in.

I'm only talking about to the end of the season and assuming no one else comes in.
I hear you - but I'm saying what we need now to avoid playing in L2 next season. We're now officially nearer the bottom 4 than the top 6. Sliding....

Interesting opening post. Looking at the current squad is a fairly depressing sight, and goes to prove just how vastly wrong we got things in the summer.
Sure we have the numbers but there are massive holes away from the center of the pitch, way to many crocks, a number of players nowhere near league 1 standard, and a distinct lack in variety of players in a given position. We currently lack width, pace and some quality, plus maybe a little strength.

Whoever take over as manager should have enough to make us safe but come the summer they will have a big job sorting this mess out. For now its not a matter of dealing with the inevitable talent drain as we sell the silver to survive, we must also empty the dross out of the door. Its a big rebuilding job I think one which could have knock on effects next season too.

Interesting opening post. Looking at the current squad is a fairly depressing sight, and goes to prove just how vastly wrong we got things in the summer.
Sure we have the numbers but there are massive holes away from the center of the pitch, way to many crocks, a number of players nowhere near league 1 standard, and a distinct lack in variety of players in a given position. We currently lack width, pace and some quality, plus maybe a little strength.

Whoever take over as manager should have enough to make us safe but come the summer they will have a big job sorting this mess out. For now its not a matter of dealing with the inevitable talent drain as we sell the silver to survive, we must also empty the dross out of the door. Its a big rebuilding job I think one which could have knock on effects next season too.
Excellent post we have plenty of players however far too unbalanced squad too many central players and players who just aren't good enough or not an improvement on last season. Take Chris Maguire can anyone say that the John O is a better player. Was Payne an improvement over Connor? And except Nelson there is no better centre back than Chey was last year. On the wing is Henry even in the sam league as marvin. Sorry the signing we made whilst numerous and exotic are pretty poor. Van kettle, o'beaka, williamson, Xemi, Meheiti are simply not up to it. Defensively we are a shambles and have been since Chey was let go. These players don't seem cheap just the money spent was spent poorly.

One gone (Charlie Raglan), slightly surprised as I thought Mike Williamson might have wanted first team football and be the central defender to move on in this window.

Excellent post we have plenty of players however far too unbalanced squad too many central players and players who just aren't good enough or not an improvement on last season. Take Chris Maguire can anyone say that the John O is a better player. Was Payne an improvement over Connor? And except Nelson there is no better centre back than Chey was last year. On the wing is Henry even in the sam league as marvin. Sorry the signing we made whilst numerous and exotic are pretty poor. Van kettle, o'beaka, williamson, Xemi, Meheiti are simply not up to it. Defensively we are a shambles and have been since Chey was let go. These players don't seem cheap just the money spent was spent poorly.

meant to say agree with all of that though I think Payne was a slight improvement over connor,both sorely missed

Back
Top Bottom