Manager/Coach Time for a clear out

TN4 Yellow

As much as Faz and Chrissy have done a great job over the last 2/3 years, we’re limiting who can come in by keeping our apparent ‘core’ of backroom staff. We are in dire need of a fresh manager with his (or hers) tried and tested backroom staff following him (or her) in the door. We won’t get a decent manager when their only option is to inherit what’s been left for them. Respect them both a lot, but it’s time for a new team/focus/direction.

Money - bringing in new proven manager with own backroom team means new contracts (likely expensive ones, if we're looking for someone with a proven track record) for however many there are of them, plus paying off Faz and Chrissy. And don't forget we'll have just paid out Pep a wedge.

When the alternative is just getting one new manager in, you can see the immediate financial benefits.

Of course you could argue the long-term benefits of hiring a complete and competent team could validate extra initial spending, but that's always a big gamble.

Depends who. Most of the names mentioned so far don’t have a tried and tested backroom team. So doesn’t apply. Given his precious roles and experience we could do a lot worse than moving faz to chief scout to replace the guy we lost to Leeds, and bring in a new assistant. I like faz and rate him, but considering he’s a defensive coach, and Chrissy Allen is a winger we seem to be lacking somewhat in our coaching in those areas.

I think it was Dennis Smith who once said that he never liked taking a job on his own and have to work with the existing staff as it very rarely works

I think it was Dennis Smith who once said that he never liked taking a job on his own and have to work with the existing staff as it very rarely works

On a tangent, but I like that story Dennis Smith tells that he arrived in the dressing room when he joined and realised he was the biggest bloke in there.

Thus, signed Matt Elliott.

That’s what made him England manager material ;)

I have a lot of time for Chris Allen. Getting rid of him would be a big mistake IMO. Having said that, is he ever going to step up or will he be the eternal assistant?

I have a lot of time for Chris Allen. Getting rid of him would be a big mistake IMO. Having said that, is he ever going to step up or will he be the eternal assistant?
Much to be said for an eternal assistant - he's clearly done a lot to bring forward the youth at the club!!

Much to be said for an eternal assistant - he's clearly done a lot to bring forward the youth at the club!!

I don't disagree...sooner or later he is going to be surplus to requirements though.

Like Faz you mean..? Some coach’s never feel the need or have the desire to be no.1 unless it’s thrust upon them in shitty circumstances which then kills of any small ambition for it that they might have had.

If Chris does have designs to be manager it would probably require him to start somewhere new. It’s like any organisation, you sometimes get perceived in a certain role and it becomes hard to change people’s mind sets or see you stepping up.

You're not at the Kassam today then having hot water.
I'm not at the Kassam and come to think of it I've never had a poo there either, but have seen plenty of cack on the pitch, particularly from Cheltenham.

• React
Reactions: CJ
Back
Top Bottom