Tiger

MAPP left for the £

Simple as that!
Agreed. It’s not rocket, if you are offered £500k a year elsewhere you aren’t going to turn it down. Some people see a conspiracy in everything.

Not that anyone gives a flying toss now, but MApp (like many others) got sick and tired of all the BS and broken promises - no funds to build, money seemingly 'moved elsewhere' and very loyal OUFC staff being treated like crap.

Not that anyone gives a flying toss now, but MApp (like many others) got sick and tired of all the BS and broken promises - no funds to build, money seemingly 'moved elsewhere' and very loyal OUFC staff being treated like crap.

He didn't seem to worry about any of that when he had a decent budget?!

He didn't seem to worry about any of that when he had a decent budget?!
several factors in my opinion
- he'd done his three years' penance for his previous bad managerial record, so could walk away with a good cv (developing players, stylish football)
- a competitive budget was not really a L1 promotion budget, and it would have meant risking a poor year on his cv, and he really should be managing at Championship level at least
- uncertainty over club ownership had been dragging on for months
- Eales winding down expenditure in that final year
- opportunity to be assistant in EPL + pay

Whilst Tiger may be the owner of the club, he's not in the country very often. As such, it's very difficult for him to be the mouthpiece like DE was. When Tiger does talk it's normally always quite uplifting and inspiring, and it feels like the groundwork is being laid for something very interesting. Now, recently things haven't been going our way, so we're looking towards the owner to do or say something - but he's not as easily approachable as DE was, which is his prerogative. Tiger is not involved in the day-to-day running of the club - Niall McWilliams is. I want to see and hear more from him, like we did with MAsh. To keep fans onside, McWilliams needs to speak out and highlight the good things we're doing (because I'm sure we are doing some), because the dominating stories have been our woeful fortunes on the pitch and the stadium issues.

Whilst Tiger may be the owner of the club, he's not in the country very often. As such, it's very difficult for him to be the mouthpiece like DE was. When Tiger does talk it's normally always quite uplifting and inspiring, and it feels like the groundwork is being laid for something very interesting. Now, recently things haven't been going our way, so we're looking towards the owner to do or say something - but he's not as easily approachable as DE was, which is his prerogative. Tiger is not involved in the day-to-day running of the club - Niall McWilliams is. I want to see and hear more from him, like we did with MAsh. To keep fans onside, McWilliams needs to speak out and highlight the good things we're doing (because I'm sure we are doing some), because the dominating stories have been our woeful fortunes on the pitch and the stadium issues.

Really?!!

And his family will be more settled with an extra few hundred k a year! He moved for many reasons, but money, a return to the premiership and working with a very good friend a very big factors. To suggest otherwise is just as disrespectful.
Disrespectful to who? The man who alluded to fans we had a top 6 budget when the reality was clearly far from? If MAPP knew he had a half decent shot at another promotion there's no way he would have left. Unfortunately he knew fans had been fed lofty targets when it was impossible with the resources and what was going to be a turbulent time r.e ownership.

MAPP had offers from the PL and national set up before Leicester came calling and he didn't go, he stayed and earned himself promotion. Makes you think, ey? Managers want to manage football clubs, and those jobs are extremely difficult to land. Also regarding finances, MAPP had a hefty compensation from his injury if I remember. He doesn't strike me as the sort to up and leave everything he built himself for a pay packet.

Disrespectful to who? The man who alluded to fans we had a top 6 budget when the reality was clearly far from? If MAPP knew he had a half decent shot at another promotion there's no way he would have left. Unfortunately he knew fans had been fed lofty targets when it was impossible with the resources and what was going to be a turbulent time r.e ownership.

MAPP had offers from the PL and national set up before Leicester came calling and he didn't go, he stayed and earned himself promotion. Makes you think, ey? Managers want to manage football clubs, and those jobs are extremely difficult to land. Also regarding finances, MAPP had a hefty compensation from his injury if I remember. He doesn't strike me as the sort to up and leave everything he built himself for a pay packet.
I'm glad MApp earned HIMSELF a promotion, but let's not forget that it was DE that funded that promotion by providing one of, if not the biggest budgets for league 2.

We then had a budget that was competitive for league 1. The top 6 budget thing is pointless as the difference between 6th and 16th was probably minimal anyway. As for leaving, MApp was offered fairly junior roles as opposed to assistant to his mate at an established PL club. And if he is so desperate to prove himself as a manager, he could take any number of positions that have come up in the last 12 months instead if sitting on his severance pay.

So yes, MApp was a great manager for us. But he's not Mother Teresa and trying to paint him as such is ridiculous.

I heard similar from a couple of sources.... none of which were substantiated with any solid evidence.... though as the old adage goes, there's often no smoke without fire:unsure:

Also Sarge - if people throw enough s**t some will end up sticking ? -NOT saying anyone is talking s**t though?

Lets not drag up old debates that can never really be won about chairman and managers past.
What’s of more concern is what’s happening now. As the OP states.
I wonder who is actually to blame?
Tiger
Robinson
Derry or something else

Tiger certainly talked a big game. With a wow manager, “these are championship players”, “it’s going to be an exciting season”. “I’m meeting with Kassam “. But did he deliver? We’re these the players KR wanted or 2nd and 3rd choice? Well he’s failed so far. Just like him and his crew failed at Reading before.
One things for sure his finances and commitment to the club are going to be tested in January. What players in their right minds would pick us over a team at the top of the league? We already look gone!

Robinson rattled on all summer about being on the brink of signing the players he wanted. How good they were etc Hanson and Smith especially. He publicly said he felt backed strongly by Tiger. But was that just more of his crap. I mean he talks a lot of it! So much so it even has its own thread.
Last night was the final straw for me. We created chance after chance! What game was he watching FFS.

Something is wrong be it Derry, the Kassam, the training ground? And where the hell is Tiger? At times like these we need strong leadership of a tiger not a bloody tortoise!

Certainly been a WOW season so far. As in "wow, I didn't expect us to be bottom of the league".

Tiger certainly talked a big game. With a wow manager, “these are championship players”, “it’s going to be an exciting season”. “I’m meeting with Kassam “. But did he deliver? We’re these the players KR wanted or 2nd and 3rd choice? Well he’s failed so far. Just like him and his crew failed at Reading before.

Sorry, but no, you are factually wrong.
With Tiger at the helm, Stam took Reading to 3rd in the Championship, and the Playoff final game. I deem that success, not failure.
The following season (last season) Tiger had left, and that was the season when they almost got relegated.

Sorry, but no, you are factually wrong.
With Tiger at the helm, Stam took Reading to 3rd in the Championship, and the Playoff final game. I deem that success, not failure.
The following season (last season) Tiger had left, and that was the season when they almost got relegated.

No I’m actually correct. I have 5 very good friends who are Reading season ticket holders and all of them to a man said they were terrible and couldn’t understand how on earth they got where they were.

I think if Tiger buys the Kassam then it’s likely he’s here for the long term. There’s little or no money to be made from it. If it costs 15 million then I cannot see how it would be possible to make that back. He would be responsible for maintaining it, perhaps building the 4th stand. Let’s face it the three sides we have aren’t even finished!
Maybe there’s potential to build in the corners but even so it would be a much safer investment to use 15 million in a more lucrative venture.

If he gets permission to build somewhere else then alarm bells should be ringing! He can’t fund it himself so it means other investors. I can see us being in exactly the same position we’re in now. Separate stadium company, separate football club and separate leisure facilities.
OUFC is a vehicle to build a large complex that would never be granted otherwise. Then reduce investment in the playing side and eventually sell just the football club and keep the rest. Just like Kassam did. Similar to what they did at Reading.
If the counsel do grant planning permission then it should be under the condition that anything built must remain part of OUFC.

If another venue is built, the experience gained from the last 18 years will come in very useful.

Both councils would need to protect OUFC through covenants and agreements on rent etc. There would be no excuse in not getting it right this time.

A profitable property development deal and a good deal for OUFC are not mutually exclusive.

That said, I don’t believe it will ever happen.

I think if Tiger buys the Kassam then it’s likely he’s here for the long term. There’s little or no money to be made from it. If it costs 15 million then I cannot see how it would be possible to make that back. He would be responsible for maintaining it, perhaps building the 4th stand. Let’s face it the three sides we have aren’t even finished!
Maybe there’s potential to build in the corners but even so it would be a much safer investment to use 15 million in a more lucrative venture.

If he gets permission to build somewhere else then alarm bells should be ringing! He can’t fund it himself so it means other investors. I can see us being in exactly the same position we’re in now. Separate stadium company, separate football club and separate leisure facilities.
OUFC is a vehicle to build a large complex that would never be granted otherwise. Then reduce investment in the playing side and eventually sell just the football club and keep the rest. Just like Kassam did. Similar to what they did at Reading.
If the counsel do grant planning permission then it should be under the condition that anything built must remain part of OUFC.

There is one thing I think we can be pretty certain on, and that is that Tiger will not be buying the Kassam! In recent weeks the club (KR/Tiger/Niall) has stated that they hate playing at the Kassam, it is the worst ground in the country, it doesn't feel like home, Kassam is impossible to deal with, he is undermining the club and we are actively looking at other sites. It ain't gonna happen!!!

As for building elsewhere, we have to be realistic. No one is going to build an all singing and dancing super duper stadium and just give it to us. SD was/is a fan with money and even he wasn't prepared to throw money at the club without any way of getting a return. This will be a business deal and there will have to be some returns in order to make it workable. However, that doesn't mean that we will be in the same situation as we face at the moment. A properly structured stadium could include facilities for multiple sports and entertainment events, leasure facilities, conference centre, hotel, retain units etc. All of which will provide an opportunity for a decent return. The club could then (potentially) use the ground and be in receipt of all associated income for a minimal rent (£1 a year?). Tiger and co. could still fund the club knowing that they're not throwing half a million quid into Kassam's pocket each year and hoping that they can cash in on a few years in the Champioship or the jackpot of the EPL. If they get bored with the football, we will be a much better prospect for someone else to takeover knowing that we are playing in a shiny stadium for next to nothing.

Of course this is all if's and maybe's but there really is no likely alternative unless one of us grabs a massive rollover on the Euromillions and decides to give most of it away!

Back
Top Bottom