Chairman tiger on HMRC -OM report

You would think that the potential costs of this should have been taken into account when the sale of the club was going through but who knows!
See that could apply to us and SAFC, nothing is straightforward in football and there could be debts anywhere.

Ol' Slippery certainly took into account future earnings/income in the shape of transfer fees. Shame that no one thought to offset those against the costs to FK that Eales had withheld under the guise of arbitration. Leaving OUFC debt free? My a**e!
What if we had won arbitration?

I get that Tiger's english may not be the best, and that there may be cultural differences with the way businesses are run, so I can almost forgive the verbal interviews as not always being a true reflection of what is happening.

However, what is unforgivable is the lack of formal answers to the questions raised by OxVox. He could easily get a PR team to run off a decent reply that would reassure the vast majority without going into the sort of detail that would be 'business sensitive".

He could put out a statement that says something like;

"I am sorry that communication hasn't been to the level that you would have expected, and understand why that raises fears and causes concerns. I can't change the past, but will give my assurances to look towards making things better in the future, starting today.

Firstly, I am here because I am a football fan and want to build something special at Oxford United. I am the Chairman and have committed my long term future to the club. I want Oxford United to be the best, and will always look to bring the best people into the club either on the pitch or in the boardroom. Erick and others have given a lot of advice and support behind the scenes and the extent of their roles will become clearer in the next few months, but I can give a guarantee that the investment needed to take us forward is here both now and in the future.

I have made mistakes, and I am sorry for the embarrassment caused by the HMRC petitions. When I arrived at the club there was a detailed expenditure plan in place and I made arrangements for moneys to be transferred into the club each month to cover these costs. In addition I have provided funding to support the squad development and look to build the club from the bottom upwards. To this end I have ensured that our short term focus was on our youth development and training facilities. Although we have seen some of our young players coming through, I truly believe that this is only the start of something really exciting for the club and we can look forward to many of these young men becoming the stars of the future.

I also looked to deal with the immediate issues regarding our stadium. This has included a significant additional cost to Mr Kassam which I hope draws a line under recent disputes. The Kassam Stadium is our home and we have to work with Firoz to ensure that it is the very best in can be. However, as many people who rent their homes dream of owning it one day, we too hope that we will once again be able to have a stadium that is truly ours. I have commissioned a review into a number of sites in and around Oxford and hope that we will be able to share this with you shortly. I am sorry that I can't be more open but I again give my assurances that we are doing everything in our powers to help give you the club that you deserve.

So, whilst we have invested in the youth development and training facilities, as well as ensuring our immediate future at the Kassam Stadium and hopefully beyond, I dropped a ball when it came to the HMRC payment in November. The first missed payment in the spring of 2018 was during the changeover of company accounts and was resolved immediately. Likewise, the very recent payment was a clerical issue that we have now resolved. However there are no excuses for the missed payment in November and I take full responsibility for this. I give a promise that this will not happen again and have set aside funding for the next payments and a contingency fund in case of any unexpected costs. I know that words are cheap, but I hope in time you will see from my actions that I, and Oxford United are better than this.

As to today, I also give my assurances that Karl and his team are doing everything they can to strengthen the side as we go into the last crucial months of a difficult season. It is essential that we stay in league one and funding has been provided to enable Karl to bring in the players that can help us achieve this goal. That will not be easy as January is always a difficult time to recruit but we will leave no stone unturned. We have already brought in Mark, Jordan and Ahmed and hope to add to this shortly. Karl and the team are giving everything, but we know that it is a results game and no one has a free ride at Oxford United. Karl has not had the season he would have liked, and we will look to do a review into team affairs in the summer. But now is the time to pull together and fight for our survival and help build towards next season and beyond."

None of this says anything that we don't already know (or think we know). But it would go a massive way to calming nerves and getting the club focused on the coming weeks and months. If I can knock up this s**t whilst getting the kids dressed and watching Peppa Pig, I'd like to think that Tiger et al could do something similar!

PS - no, I'm not Chris Williams!!!

All that avoids the main issue, cash flow.
Where is the money coming from to pay the rising debts around the club?

I get that Tiger's english may not be the best, and that there may be cultural differences with the way businesses are run, so I can almost forgive the verbal interviews as not always being a true reflection of what is happening.

However, what is unforgivable is the lack of formal answers to the questions raised by OxVox. He could easily get a PR team to run off a decent reply that would reassure the vast majority without going into the sort of detail that would be 'business sensitive".

He could put out a statement that says something like;

"I am sorry that communication hasn't been to the level that you would have expected, and understand why that raises fears and causes concerns. I can't change the past, but will give my assurances to look towards making things better in the future, starting today.

Firstly, I am here because I am a football fan and want to build something special at Oxford United. I am the Chairman and have committed my long term future to the club. I want Oxford United to be the best, and will always look to bring the best people into the club either on the pitch or in the boardroom. Erick and others have given a lot of advice and support behind the scenes and the extent of their roles will become clearer in the next few months, but I can give a guarantee that the investment needed to take us forward is here both now and in the future.

I have made mistakes, and I am sorry for the embarrassment caused by the HMRC petitions. When I arrived at the club there was a detailed expenditure plan in place and I made arrangements for moneys to be transferred into the club each month to cover these costs. In addition I have provided funding to support the squad development and look to build the club from the bottom upwards. To this end I have ensured that our short term focus was on our youth development and training facilities. Although we have seen some of our young players coming through, I truly believe that this is only the start of something really exciting for the club and we can look forward to many of these young men becoming the stars of the future.

I also looked to deal with the immediate issues regarding our stadium. This has included a significant additional cost to Mr Kassam which I hope draws a line under recent disputes. The Kassam Stadium is our home and we have to work with Firoz to ensure that it is the very best in can be. However, as many people who rent their homes dream of owning it one day, we too hope that we will once again be able to have a stadium that is truly ours. I have commissioned a review into a number of sites in and around Oxford and hope that we will be able to share this with you shortly. I am sorry that I can't be more open but I again give my assurances that we are doing everything in our powers to help give you the club that you deserve.

So, whilst we have invested in the youth development and training facilities, as well as ensuring our immediate future at the Kassam Stadium and hopefully beyond, I dropped a ball when it came to the HMRC payment in November. The first missed payment in the spring of 2018 was during the changeover of company accounts and was resolved immediately. Likewise, the very recent payment was a clerical issue that we have now resolved. However there are no excuses for the missed payment in November and I take full responsibility for this. I give a promise that this will not happen again and have set aside funding for the next payments and a contingency fund in case of any unexpected costs. I know that words are cheap, but I hope in time you will see from my actions that I, and Oxford United are better than this.

As to today, I also give my assurances that Karl and his team are doing everything they can to strengthen the side as we go into the last crucial months of a difficult season. It is essential that we stay in league one and funding has been provided to enable Karl to bring in the players that can help us achieve this goal. That will not be easy as January is always a difficult time to recruit but we will leave no stone unturned. We have already brought in Mark, Jordan and Ahmed and hope to add to this shortly. Karl and the team are giving everything, but we know that it is a results game and no one has a free ride at Oxford United. Karl has not had the season he would have liked, and we will look to do a review into team affairs in the summer. But now is the time to pull together and fight for our survival and help build towards next season and beyond."

None of this says anything that we don't already know (or think we know). But it would go a massive way to calming nerves and getting the club focused on the coming weeks and months. If I can knock up this s**t whilst getting the kids dressed and watching Peppa Pig, I'd like to think that Tiger et al could do something similar!

PS - no, I'm not Chris Williams!!!
I think Scotch that he would be equally shot down in flames as his programme notes are for being PR speak...one thing that limits an EAL speaker is the ability to rephrase answers/responses and also moderate forms of formality at his spoken English level..e.g.a simple no answer is not considered polite or is meaningful in the wrong way in English...could go on...I think you summed up the situation well making more palatable the curt and to the point.

Listening to another snippet on RadOx again from Tiger @07:30. He basically confirmed the other board members will be involved at some point and 'he' might not be the 'figure head' in the future. It could change..
IMHO his had enough already / front man....

Last edited:
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...was-a-lot-of-underestimating-of-the-expenses/

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...-have-good-relationship-with-stadium-company/

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...pared-to-take-financial-hit-to-secure-safety/

Right, the million dollar question:

Now that Tiger has finally started to open up a little bit, can ANYONE say they feel more comfortable with anything that’s going on??

Simpy put, no. He's here for property and land. I have no trust in his intentions for the football club, whatsoever.

Absolutely not. He cant answer fair questions put to him, he constantly breaks promises, his regime is more secretive than that of North Korea, and he talks utter crap.

At best, he comes accross as a buffoon in above his depth. At worst, who knows.

Dave Kitson, who is very well connected in football and Reading, explicitly stated they were here for property. Weve seen nothing to make us doubt that.

James Henry pretty much confirms here that any cash flow issues haven't affected the players being paid, despite what some would try and have you believe...

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...oes-have-helped-team-spirit-says-james-henry/

He replied to one of Nathan's statements (not questions as he rarely asks questions) basically agreeing with him e.g. Henry responds by saying ‘I think so....’ so not really an endorsing yes!

Put it this way, if we worked at a company that appeared to be having issues paying vital bills then even though we’re getting paid it would put an element of doubt there or worse potential players we want to sign.

Like Jerome said ‘it’s not good publicity’ or ‘puts the club in a bad light’. All unnecessary if you’ve got the funds don’t you think?

Also, not sure what else Henry could have said or Robinson having to speak to players throughout the week when they raise their concerns.

Simpy put, no. He's here for property and land. I have no trust in his intentions for the football club, whatsoever.

The two things we definitely, unequivocally, absolutely beyond question, categorically, do not have.

If he bought in for those reasons, then yes I am worried.....

I think Tiger has a dream of creating Oxford into a big club developing players. He knows with his experience at Reading that football clubs can spend vast amounts of money easily. Perhaps his backers are not willing to release much money until the time is right. Obviously not paying tax is a massive error though. Sounds as if he does not expect to still be chairman in the not to distant future, but still be involved long term.

Absolutely not. He cant answer fair questions put to him, he constantly breaks promises, his regime is more secretive than that of North Korea, and he talks utter crap.

At best, he comes accross as a buffoon in above his depth. At worst, who knows.

Dave Kitson, who is very well connected in football and Reading, explicitly stated they were here for property. Weve seen nothing to make us doubt that.

I can't take Dave Kitson seriously whatever he says

The two things we definitely, unequivocally, absolutely beyond question, categorically, do not have.

If he bought in for those reasons, then yes I am worried.....

My finance director at work was heavily involved with Reading during Tigers tenure there and as SOON as Tiger came to Oxford, I was told to be wary because what he was trying to achieve at Reading was a property play but because Reading, as a place, wasn't commercially attractive enough, this project never got off of the ground due to lack of investment. If he has the money to sustain a football club, why couldn't he pay Eales up front? If he has the money to sustain a football club, why can't we pay our taxes?

I have also been told that one of his main objectives was to acquire the global rights for the University Of Oxford merchandise and in order to do this, he needed a foothold in the city and Oxford United provided him with exactly that.

The more this goes on, the more worried I am that this is actually the case. I am more of a glass half full guy but having spoken to someone with a lot of experience in football and finance in general, it appears Tiger is here for more than just our football club.

I believe he is sticking with us in a hope that investors get on board to finance his 'plan' and until that time comes, we are going to be hung out to dry. Feel free to change my mind because I don't like where this is heading.

Last edited:
If im en employee in a competitive market, i dont jump ship to join a company with winding up orders, profit warnings, running at losses. You just dont.

Football is the same.

If im en employee in a competitive market, i dont jump ship to join a company with winding up orders, profit warnings, running at losses. You just dont.

Football is the same.

Haven't we been operating at a loss for close to 10 years now? Aside from the winding up orders, all is very much the same as before (to our knowledge).

Back
Top Bottom