Tiger on 5 @5.44

Pretty sure he will.

My understanding is Nico is very grateful to Dan Harris, Leon Blackmore Such and Chris Hackett for effectively rescuing him (and Elechi ) from the wilderness after they were released from Fulham and Manchester Utd respectively. Believe it not, after watching the 18’s numerous times this season it’s obvious to see the money we’ve invested is being very well spent and will help the first team for years to come. Worth noting that Robinson is very clued up on all the youth lads and is pretty much a regular at all home games. If you follow my twitter! You’d have seen I called that Nico would play for the first team months ago!

Both had difficult upbringings away from football and if we hadn’t have signed them, who knows what they would be doing with their young lives now. If you’ve not seen Elechi yet you’ll be shocked! The lad is huge but can also shift! Sweet left peg as well and he and Nico link up very well often with Owen James in and around them too.

What Oxford also do so well is they educate the youth lads on all sorts of life situations and they help them just as much away from the pitch as on it.

Worth noting that Robinson is very clued up on all the youth lads and is pretty much a regular at all home games.
I had a similar impression about Tiger from the 5 min Q&A. Although he won't have seen so much of them, he clearly takes an interest and was able to reel off a list of the youth lads names in a way that I doubt many of our previous owners would've been able to do.

Pretty sure he will.

My understanding is Nico is very grateful to Dan Harris, Leon Blackmore Such and Chris Hackett for effectively rescuing him (and Elechi ) from the wilderness after they were released from Fulham and Manchester Utd respectively. Believe it not, after watching the 18’s numerous times this season it’s obvious to see the money we’ve invested is being very well spent and will help the first team for years to come. Worth noting that Robinson is very clued up on all the youth lads and is pretty much a regular at all home games. If you follow my twitter! You’d have seen I called that Nico would play for the first team months ago!

Both had difficult upbringings away from football and if we hadn’t have signed them, who knows what they would be doing with their young lives now. If you’ve not seen Elechi yet you’ll be shocked! The lad is huge but can also shift! Sweet left peg as well and he and Nico link up very well often with Owen James in and around them too.

What Oxford also do so well is they educate the youth lads on all sorts of life situations and they help them just as much away from the pitch as on it.
This is all good to hear. I’m as guilty as anyone for knocking the club from time to time when things aren’t so positive so it’s good to know about things that are successful. Credit where credit is due.

As for Nico, Tiger seemed quite relaxed about it all so hopefully they’ve got it all in hand.

Pretty sure he will.

I think that even when the first team were doing poorly it was clear that great things were going in in the younger age groups (just needed to read Dan Harris's monthly updates and see the YT and U23 results)
Tiger has got a lot of things badly wrong this season but zI have been saying all along that he deserves a lot of credit for clearly investing large amounts in the young player set up.

Pretty sure he will.

That's great to gear.

Who do you think is the most likely to make the step up next season out of the youngsters?

I can't help but think that the problem with Tiger (easier to use his nickname!) is one of perception.

One WUP after another and we perceive him as a financial liability. One stumbling inarticulate press conference, and he's an idiot. The perception is, wrongly or rightly, that he is not the man in charge.
Listening to this latest 5 minute conversation, a few good things were said and, despite the language barrier, he did come across as more on the ball and prepared to answer.

Maybe, I have perhaps, got more patience with him. The issues remain though and will need to be addressed before I offer any praise. The situation with FK and Grenoble Road, the inability to organise a stable cash flow position, and, the mystery shrouding the actual financing of OUFC. All these, and the real purpose behind Thohir being on the board and, of course, the team, need to be resolved for my opinion to change.

That's great to gear.

Who do you think is the most likely to make the step up next season out of the youngsters?
U18s at home v Southend U18 tomorrow (at Abingdon United fc oxford rd/ Northcourt rd) 11am kick off - free admission

also, a week tomorrow, U18s home v Scum U18s same ground, and assume same kick off time?
(with only a very limited amount of tickets for the first team away game at Luton, there may be a few more U's supporters at next Saturdays U18 home game, esp' given who the opponents are? )

if you're in the area for either game, @Tomox maybe pop along and see for yourself who you think most likely to step up?...
IMO there's more than a few contenders too .... U18s play exciting, attacking football ... hence they're currently joint top of their league( sharing the top slot with ... Southend and Scum u18s - so the last two matches for OUFC U18s could be a second league win this season for our U18s ... if they win the two remaining games)

EDIT _ U18'S are AWAY to Southend U18s tomorrow ...oopsy!

Last edited:
U18s at home v Southend U18 tomorrow (at Abingdon United fc oxford rd/ Northcourt rd) 11am kick off - free admission

also, a week tomorrow, U18s home v Scum U18s same ground, and assume same kick off time?
(with only a very limited amount of tickets for the first team away game at Luton, there may be a few more U's supporters at next Saturdays U18 home game, esp' given who the opponents are? )

if you're in the area for either game, @Tomox maybe pop along and see for yourself who you think most likely to step up?...
IMO there's more than a few contenders too .... U18s play exciting, attacking football ... hence they're currently joint top of their league( sharing the top slot with ... Southend and Scum u18s - so the last two matches for OUFC U18s could be a second league win this season for our U18s ... if they win the two remaining games)

We are away to Southend u18s tomorrow at their training ground.

We are away to Southend u18s tomorrow at their training ground.
oops .....well spotted and corrected

at home a week tomorrow v scum U18 ... if U18s get the win(away) tomorrow, a week tomorrow could be the league title decider?

Last edited:
Yes I was wondering the same thing. Can’t work if he meant 1st July 2019 or 2020.

Dan Harris confirmed in Academy update that Nico has been offered a pro deal.

Nico said on his Instagram that he hasn't seen anything put in front of him yet.

I imagine his agent is doing some negotiation at the minute. But Nico sounds very much like he wants to stay and force his way into the first team here. So shouldn't be anything more than a bit of cheeky haggling before it gets signed.

And there was i thinking last game was a night game and we had fireworks afterwards ,just shows how the mind plays trick on you when you get old.

Wasn't there a 'legends game' which was the evening one? (or am I making that one up?) which had the fireworks?
Ah possibly. That does ring a bell.

Incidentally, just googled ‘last game at the manor ground’ and didn’t know that Arsenal originally played at a ground called the Manor Ground until 1913.

Have wiki got the right manor ground for the photo though - thateven looks like the headington manor!

9057AEC8-48C9-4CA9-AA03-62BBB0400194.jpeg

Ah possibly. That does ring a bell.

Incidentally, just googled ‘last game at the manor ground’ and didn’t know that Arsenal originally played at a ground called the Manor Ground until 1913.
that would presumably be when they were Woolwich Arsenal and plying their trade South of the Thames ?

Definitely fireworks at the end.wasnt it a 1-1 draw against Mansfield?

Back
Top Bottom