Tiger on 5 @5.44

Wasn't there a 'legends game' which was the evening one? (or am I making that one up?) which had the fireworks?
Legends game was on a Sunday during the day. It followed a 5-a-side tournament organised by Alan Judge, in which I played. Memorable day, and partly for the mother-of-all thunderstorms which hit the ground at about 4:30pm during the second half. Should have taken that as some sort of omen looking back...

Legends game was on a Sunday during the day. It followed a 5-a-side tournament organised by Alan Judge, in which I played. Memorable day, and partly for the mother-of-all thunderstorms which hit the ground at about 4:30pm during the second half. Should have taken that as some sort of omen looking back...

Remember that 5-a-side well. I don't have much memory of the legends game though.

I helped Judgey organise this ‘farewell to the Manor’ match. It was indeed Oxford vQPR , principally many of 86 Final legends. Kassam agreed that proceeds went to bowel cancer research as Alan had been diagnosed earlier. I have many photos. Fantastic support as many 50s, 60s, 70s and 90s players attended as well as Jim Smith and were presented to the fantastic crowd one by one. Only 2 sides of ground were opened and they were packed. A real highlight for me. QPR players were also very supportive so i have since had a soft spot for them.

I helped Judgey organise this ‘farewell to the Manor’ match. It was indeed Oxford vQPR , principally many of 86 Final legends. Kassam agreed that proceeds went to bowel cancer research as Alan had been diagnosed earlier. I have many photos. Fantastic support as many 50s, 60s, 70s and 90s players attended as well as Jim Smith and were presented to the fantastic crowd one by one. Only 2 sides of ground were opened and they were packed. A real highlight for me. QPR players were also very supportive so i have since had a soft spot for them.
Thanks for helping organise it, it was such a big deal for me playing a few games on that pitch before we moved, will never forget the day. I still have the certificate all the teams were given up on my wall.

No thanks needed. Was working at the club full time and It was a pleasure to help Judgey. You are spot on. There was a fans 5 a sude comp which Rosie largely organised and then a massive thunderstorm near end of main match. The ex players lined up in the ‘tunnel’ and received rapturous individual welcome applause as they were introduced. They were gobsmacked by the attendance. They thought there might be 1000 max not 6000.

Back
Top Bottom