Chairman Tiger - board will back oufc through covid 19

Just a thought, does anyone think that this whole covid-19 thing is just a bluff to extend the season long enough for NMcW to be proved right with his stadium predictions??

View attachment 3188
either that or it’s the lengths the board will go to cos they don’t want promotion.
sell 2 good players - we go up to 3rd.
coronavirus - league scrapped and we stay in league 1 ?

Hopefully 50 million means a million to each club which does at least cover the earnings loss

Hopefully 50 million means a million to each club which does at least cover the earnings loss
According to the OxMail "It boils down to £250,000 for clubs in League One, while they have access to an interest-free loan in the region of £180,000."

The £50m is made up of payments brought forward that would have been made anyway at the end of the season, plus a pot from which loans can be made to clubs who apply. The loan would be interest free, but just another debt for any club applying for one.

Exactly - so for us and other L1 clubs it's £250,000 now - but £250,000 less later on.
So far. No one knows what is going to happen. If the 12 week shutdown brings this virus under control, then the season could potentially restart and would allow the club to get the revenue it would have otherwise lost. If however there is no way this season can be restarted then I would imagine that other packages of support will be forthcoming.

Yes, we don't know what will happen. But in some quarters this £50m is being trumpeted as some grand gesture, when in fact it is just an advance of monies that the club would have got anyway, plus the ability to borrow more money (and more debt is of course exactly what lower league clubs need!). I'm not saying clubs ought to be just *given* money, but there is a degree of spin going on here...

To be fair interest free debt is the best kind of debt. If the club paid it back at £1k a week it’s not exactly going to cripple the club with no interest being accumulated...

Yes, we don't know what will happen. But in some quarters this £50m is being trumpeted as some grand gesture, when in fact it is just an advance of monies that the club would have got anyway, plus the ability to borrow more money (and more debt is of course exactly what lower league clubs need!). I'm not saying clubs ought to be just *given* money, but there is a degree of spin going on here...

I'm not so sure there is any spin as the details of the payment were explicit. Clubs are suffering from loss of earnings and cashflow now, so payments were brought forward to cover much of this, with the option of additional support if needed. That is in the way of a loan at the moment because no one yet knows what the next few weeks and months look like.

It's easy to knock governing bodies, but on this occasion I think the EFL have acted fast and decisively and have not ruled out doing more if the situation continues.

It shows Tiger and the board are in it for the long haul. Or so it seems!

I wonder what Myles thinks of it all.

As @holdsteady said previously. Because season ticket holders had already paid / budgeted for the season in advance there is no real loss. Apart from the possible purchase for streaming the play-off games, if they do not have Sky.

I hope the majority won't ask for a refund, but as said before, understand those that some may need the money.

I don't want a refund myself or does my m8 who sits next to me.
But would like some sort of compo.
I don't know what, club shop voucher maybe, free hotdogs for life :)

As @holdsteady said previously. Because season ticket holders had already paid / budgeted for the season in advance there is no real loss. Apart from the possible purchase for streaming the play-off games, if they do not have Sky.

I hope the majority won't ask for a refund, but as said before, understand those that some may need the money.

I also hope no-one asks for a refund, but that’s not really the definition of loss.

Or if every time you ordered something online or booked a holiday, paid, then it didn’t show up/happen would you say ‘well I already paid/budgeted for this so there’s no loss’?

Back
Top Bottom