Thomas and Obika

People cussing Matt Murphy really need to give their heads a wobble. Played at what is currently the Championship, is still in the top 10 goalscorers at OUFC despite not being a striker and scored THAT goal at Reading on top of it all. Always makes me shake my head when he gets nominated into the "Worst OUFC XI".

I must confess to slagging off Matt regularly, however, as my son still reminds me to this day, when I did so he’d score so yes I did it more often, good goal scoring record for a midfielder

Think you're right about Murphy. Struggling to remember the Bus's strike partner as attacks in 2002 were so few and far between. Probably Lilley, Manny and, towards end of season, Scott. Mind you, Joey and Paul Powell were about the best goal scorers we had then.

Brought a few mates with me Sat who had never watched Oxford before. On the whole they loved it. They were impressed with the standard (all support Prem teams), the atmosphere and they city as a whole. One thing they all unanimously agreed on however, was that John Obika was f*****g dogshit!

I'm sure there have been a worse front two pairing over the years but I'm struggling to remember.

These two should never play for us again

Obika has not got a footballing brain, and for a big bloke he never wins the ball and fails to hold the ball up because his touch is awful.Robinson was going ballistic at him on the touch line.

Thomas must be the laziest player ever to pull on a yellow shirt. He can't hold the ball up and is always on his heels and doesn't attack the ball.
I dont agree. One thing Thomas isnt is lazy.

I would think that KR is shrewd enough to realise that none of our strikers are anywhere near good enough. A real priority for next season is to find a striker whio can actualy play football and score goals.
Thomas netting 9 times with Jack Payne playing in the thirds.

Maybe with some of the money from the Ledston transfer we can pay Obika out of his contract.

With three out of four of our current 1st team strikers all set to leave the club, (Thomas, Van Kassel, Mehmeti) that leaves just Obika plus he’s contracted for another year. I wouldn’t be at all surprised see him as a back-up next season.

KR has already alluded that he likes to play a lone striker with wingers and midfielders flooding the box. Obika can play that lone role, it’s probably his best position. just needs to get fit because he plainly hasn been since Xmas.

KR will no doubt roll with Obika & see if he clicks with the new set up.
If that fails,they can sell or loan him in January.

I'm sure there have been a worse front two pairing over the years but I'm struggling to remember.

These two should never play for us again

Obika has not got a footballing brain, and for a big bloke he never wins the ball and fails to hold the ball up because his touch is awful.Robinson was going ballistic at him on the touch line.

Thomas must be the laziest player ever to pull on a yellow shirt. He can't hold the ball up and is always on his heels and doesn't attack the ball.
I dont agree. One thing Thomas isnt is lazy.
Did you happen to see the Portsmouth match?

Did you happen to see the Portsmouth match?
I think that both your statements are incorrect. Thomas is NOT lazy. JOB HAS a footballers brain. I feel you are blaming a bad season on the strikers, which I feel is very convenient. Thomas had 9 goals, when partnered with Payne.

I think that both your statements are incorrect. Thomas is NOT lazy. JOB HAS a footballers brain. I feel you are blaming a bad season on the strikers, which I feel is very convenient. Thomas had 9 goals, when partnered with Payne.
In addition both strikers had a 1/5 (goals to games) ratio before signing. They have delivered as expected. I dont think its fair to blame Wes and Jon. Blame da management.

Back
Top Bottom