Thohir

I've just got a hunch Thame might be on the agenda here, no idea why just a feeling.

One of our club’s longstanding staff members lives there so I’m sure he’s doing all he can to help persuade on this being the best option!!

I just don't see why anybody would have a problem with water eaton? It's the most sensible and obvious location bar the green belt situation. Rail links to London and oxford station, right on the A34. Just need to update the roads a bit leading up to it and boom. Got to admit I do picture a fancy modern stadium with giant ox heads all over it every time I stop at Oxford Parkway.
There is going to be traffic jams wherever you put a stadium but at least with the rail links to surrounding towns that will be reduced greatly.

Where in Oxfordshire has great public transport links? A big train station that can take a large number of people in a short time? Other than Oxford city centre where else is linked up adequately with the rest of the county?

You will have more people drive than at present, they will just park in surrounding streets.

Mind you, move to Didcot, Thame or Bicester etc and I have a feeling our crowds will be low enough that it might not be a problem.
Water eaton has all those things its 2 miles from the city centre has regular buses and a train starion plus its easy to get to from the a34 and in turn the m40.Agree about Didcot Thame and Bicester-no thanks

Didcot has good links though.
But it doesn't matter where any proposed new stadium goes. There will be +'s and -'s. Some people will like it others won't.
I miss the Manor like mad but the Kassam is better placed for me. That's how it is.

I think the ice rink site would be the best all round and i live near water eaton i like the ideo of the ground being in the city

Regarding Water Eaton it’s worth reading the Oxvox minutes from the meeting below 14/11/2017.

I suppose the question to be asked is what has fundamentally changed since that meeting?

http://www.oxvox.org.uk/minutes/oxvox-stadium-options-meeting-14-november-2017/

I have copied and pasted in italics the most relevant section from the minutes.

Yvonne Rees (YR) Cherwell DC Chief Executive, Barry Wood (BW) Leader of Cherwell DC, Adrian Colwell (AC) Head of Strategic Planning and the Economy, Ian Hudspeth (IH) Leader of Oxfordshire County Council, Darryl Eales (DE) Chairman of OUFC, Jem Faulkner (JF) Chair of OxVox.

6. The meeting moved on to talk about 2 sites that sit within the Cherwell DC area. Water Eaton and Stratfield Brake. JF asked if indeed these sites would be possible for a relocation of the stadium.

7. BW said they were not, but referred the question to AC and asked him to go through the details on each location. AC then produced a detailed map and highlighted both the sites in question to those present.

8. AC explained why both sites were not viable and that green belt, buffer zone and planning constraints meant no development of a stadium was possible on either site.

9. AC talked about historic meetings with the farmer who owned land at Water Eaton (adjacent to the Water Eaton station) and that the farmer had no interest in selling.AC made it clear however that the Cherwell DC interest in this land was not for a football stadium or leisure.

10. DE asked that ‘if’ there ever was a way of developing on these sites, what would the timescales look like? AC and YR both said it was hypothetical as neither site was possible, but that ‘if’ either were, then it would take a minimum of 10 years.

11. IH said that it was disappointing news, but that it was good to have clarity, as these sites had generated media interest and they could now be discounted.

I think the ice rink site would be the best all round and i live near water eaton i like the ideo of the ground being in the city
Got to say that would be a lovely location, right on the Thames and a minute walk from the station. Where would the ice rink go though? Under the pitch? That would be fancy

Got to say that would be a lovely location, right on the Thames and a minute walk from the station. Where would the ice rink go though? Under the pitch? That would be fancy
I think theres room for both but underneath would great to ?

Didcot has good links though.
But it doesn't matter where any proposed new stadium goes. There will be +'s and -'s. Some people will like it others won't.
I miss the Manor like mad but the Kassam is better placed for me. That's how it is.

Didcot isn’t actually just off the a34, that’s Milton, if you placed the ground actually in Didcot those roads in would be as bad as they are in the morning, if you have the ground at Milton junction then you are a trek from the train station.

There are no transport benefits to moving out of Oxford, and you alienate a whole section of your support.

Water Eaton probably would of been best but I don’t know if that’s possible. A city centre ground ie ice rink is probably a pipe dream but that would certainly make it a better day out.

8. AC explained why both sites were not viable and that green belt, buffer zone and planning constraints meant no development of a stadium was possible on either site.

A train station and park and ride must go against the above and whilst I haven't checked the footprint we would need would surely be around the same, when you look on a map the sear amount of land there means a good buffer would still be place it the site was alongside the train line/A34

9. AC talked about historic meetings with the farmer who owned land at Water Eaton (adjacent to the Water Eaton station) and that the farmer had no interest in selling.AC made it clear however that the Cherwell DC interest in this land was not for a football stadium or leisure.

I don't think this land is actually farmed anymore (I could be wrong) so again the farmer is probably hope for the highest bidder, interesting that Cherwell DC obviously have some plans for the land despite point 8

10. DE asked that ‘if’ there ever was a way of developing on these sites, what would the timescales look like? AC and YR both said it was hypothetical as neither site was possible, but that ‘if’ either were, then it would take a minimum of 10 years.

This probably comes down to the deal on offer, this time the councils will be looking for there benefit especially when cash is tight to invest in facilities for the county.

I suppose what I am really saying is if there really is a site out there they will all have element of the above about them otherwise it wouldn't have taken 30+ years for the Kassam land. If it ever happens it will have to be the deal of the century to get all involved on onboard especially with 7 years.

How many times?? Water Eaton has NEVER been an option ....... Huspeth talking a load of old bollox then a chinese whisper started

Considering the City center has been decimated by the new Westgate, I'm sure plonking a new stadium with multi use sports on the old ice rink site plus some. Will bring added punters into the town on match days etc which will please the businesses that are suffering.

Could build a nice compact 22K stadium, just need an inventive Architect, for instance and under ground car park big enough to take a coach or two and room for the players/staff etc.

Would need to relocate whatever that is upper right within the red line boundary..

Rail Station not far way 10 minute walk = Tick
Transport links using out of town park and rides = Tick
Fans will need getting use to more of a day out / going to the stadium a little earlier. That's just a change of habit.
Oh, and the city council gets the Kassam site for housing..

Just needs some sensible planning for parking (prices) and with Bus companies ease of in and out's, no different to the old Manor days.

1539874499549.png

Last edited:
If your talking about a city centre stadium just look how it works for Southampton. No parking to talk about not even a close rail link unless you want a 20 min walk. But they do use Park and ride, especially for away fans.

Can see it already, can't see any reason if the money is there why anybody would be against that location. The ice rink at the minute looks pretty bad so it would likely be re-done at some point anyway. Big bonuses for anybody involved. Would look nice from the top of the new westgate centre.

Considering the City center has been decimated by the new Westgate, I'm sure plonking a new stadium with multi use sports on the old ice rink site plus some. Will bring added punters into the town on match days etc which will please the businesses that are suffering.

Could build a nice compact 22K stadium, just need an inventive Architect, for instance and under ground car park big enough to take a coach or two and room for the players/staff etc.

Would need to relocate whatever that is upper right within the red line boundary..

Rail Station not far way 10 minute walk = Tick
Transport links using out of town park and rides = Tick
Fans will need getting use to more of a day out / going to the stadium a little earlier. That's just a change of habit.
Oh, and the city council gets the Kassam site for housing..

Just needs some sensible planning for parking (prices) and with Bus companies ease of in and out's, no different to the old Manor days.

View attachment 806
It's the perfect and dream location, and as we can see from Brentford there's more than enough space to build ourselves a sensible capacity.

If your talking about a city centre stadium just look how it works for Southampton. No parking to talk about not even a close rail link unless you want a 20 min walk. But they do use Park and ride, especially for away fans.

The walk to the train station is just over 10 mins, hardly a hardship. It's like walking from the kass to the back of the car park behind the the bingo.

Putting it there is no different to parking around the manor, get there mega early you might get a spot did a side street.

The thing here is people adjust, but I get your point. But if it is planned properly it is do'able

The walk to the train station is just over 10 mins, hardly a hardship. It's like walking from the kass to the back of the car park behind the the bingo.

Putting it there is no different to parking around the manor, get there mega early you might get a spot did a side street.

The thing here is people adjust, but I get your point. But if it is planned properly it is do'able

That's the point I was making. It works for them so why not us.

No, theyll flood the pitch and freeze it in the evenings for skating, then thaw it with hot air blowers for match days. Dual use

Back
Top Bottom