Thohir

Any council that owns land that has been identified as a possible site for a NEW stadium will have to ensure that they do not repeat the mistakes that OCC did. The City council passed the local structure plan last night and in that they are asking other councils in Oxfordshire to take a further 8000 homes that they need to build due to the lack of land available into their local plans.
Agree totally.
But any land for new stadium would release land for houses at Kassam.

Any council that owns land that has been identified as a possible site for a NEW stadium will have to ensure that they do not repeat the mistakes that OCC did. The City council passed the local structure plan last night and in that they are asking other councils in Oxfordshire to take a further 8000 homes that they need to build due to the lack of land available into their local plans.

The Council would be able to use the narrative that houses (which Kassam would no doubt concur with) would be built on the Kasstad and the overflow car park in relation to concerns from other councils.

As further housing pressure is likely in Oxford I reckon even with the new housing; I fully expect in the not too distant future, discussions with the other Councils will start again. Building housing at the Stadium site would ease this.

It’s all very well, but the question at the forefront of most Oxford fans has to be “who will own the new stadium” The club or a third party? We had all this hype when Kassam spoke at a meeting in the Town Hall, he was going to take us on a journey.
What new stadium ?

What new stadium ?

Exactly This is all conjecture as the name of the new director is not known as yet. We have been promised for decades by new owners that we are going to invest, taken on a journey, here for the long term, wow manager etc etc. we have a joint statement telling us very little in reality and supporters hopes and expectations are again raised on a bunch of statements and promises that very rarely are kept.

The thing with moving out of Oxford, and sarge using Abingdon as an example is perfect, is these small towns would be just as bad as the Kassam for traffic and perhaps worse. Abingdon would be a nightmare, I have to take a diversion to get home there from work every night, the town centre gridlocks if someone takes to long to pull away at a traffic light.

You could say the same for any of the towns in Oxfordshire, unless you put the ground outside them in the middle of no where, meaning we have swapped a similar situation but in central Oxfordshire for one that will to one side of the county thus alienating fans who will have to travel further, plus have very little public transport.

I am guessing it wouldn’t be easy for someone from Wantage to get to Bicester by public transport say.

If we do move we have to be very careful where we go to, there is such a scarcity of decent places around that just can’t see it happening, although I am very intrigued to see the proposed 5 sites.

I've just got a hunch Thame might be on the agenda here, no idea why just a feeling.

The thing with moving out of Oxford, and sarge using Abingdon as an example is perfect, is these small towns would be just as bad as the Kassam for traffic and perhaps worse. Abingdon would be a nightmare, I have to take a diversion to get home there from work every night, the town centre gridlocks if someone takes to long to pull away at a traffic light.

You could say the same for any of the towns in Oxfordshire, unless you put the ground outside them in the middle of no where, meaning we have swapped a similar situation but in central Oxfordshire for one that will to one side of the county thus alienating fans who will have to travel further, plus have very little public transport.

I am guessing it wouldn’t be easy for someone from Wantage to get to Bicester by public transport say.

If we do move we have to be very careful where we go to, there is such a scarcity of decent places around that just can’t see it happening, although I am very intrigued to see the proposed 5 sites.

I think if you are looking at places in or around Oxford then it would be Kidlington, Cowley, Blackbird Leys dog track, Horspath, Yarnton, possibly even places like Eynsham or Cumnor. Whether there are suitable places to build a football stadium in these areas is another matter.

What about Didcot? Easy access off of the A34, train station, ample parking.

Bulldozing the centre could only add value to the surrounding estates, too.

TBH, I think 'easy access off [sic] the A34' is a bit rich, and access from the other side would be at best a snarl-up from hell.

I know people say Water Eaton has passed but why. Nothing has happened at all on the site and as we all know where ever a stadium site is picked the Kassam will be freed up for housing.

I suspect WE is still top of the list as it is still just about in the city with the park and ride and trains links and A34 you wont get better links (if only they could afford to build a junction directly to the site.

When you presume the ice rink might move (more free space in the city centre) and other sporting and leisure options are put there (mini arena for comedy/music?) where better to put it in Oxford(shire).

We can spend the next fews years just 'looking' but without the finance and the council paying lip service at most it will lead to us probably still being stuck where we are..

does this mean that now there are only 4 possible stadium sites instead of 5? :unsure:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...-northcourt-youth-football-pitch/?ref=mr&lp=9

Abingdon United and the youth football have an ideal opportunity to develop by merging with Abingdon Town and that site after Town's backer pulled out. As well as the main site which has had plenty of money spent on it, they had spent money on some of the field next door for youth pitches. Just have to get used to the flooding will happen.

On the topic of potential new sites, Brentford have started construction on their new 17,500 seater stadium. I have to say that I'm surprised on how small the plot of land is. This is situated around 1 mile from Griffin Park.

44026431_10214499903785382_8835237646201520128_n.jpg
44029733_10214499903825383_1198843810331754496_n.jpg
44028248_10160835815575368_7356177190087557120_n.jpg

Attachments

• 44025054_10156612663288076_1077032383129059328_n.jpg
    44025054_10156612663288076_1077032383129059328_n.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 20
Football stadiums don't need a car park so long as you have adequate public transport in place. Many UK stadiums will have local stations, and in Germany they provide free bus transport from the city centres to the stadium on matchdays.

Where in Oxfordshire has great public transport links? A big train station that can take a large number of people in a short time? Other than Oxford city centre where else is linked up adequately with the rest of the county?

You will have more people drive than at present, they will just park in surrounding streets.

Mind you, move to Didcot, Thame or Bicester etc and I have a feeling our crowds will be low enough that it might not be a problem.

Unfortunately we're a bit light on adequate public transport! Although most surrounding towns all have bus services into the city centre, so keeping any new stadium within the ring road, or no further than the Kastad, is quite important. I can't see there being a plot of land large enough for car parking though. We're extremely lucky to have one of the largest football car parks in the country at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom