Thohir

And yet other major cities manage just fine with crowds several times the size of what ours would be, with central town/city locations and with no more public transport options than we would have. To assume that all 7,000 people would be using the park and ride is far fetched. Some would drive and park, some would use the train, some would walk, some would use existing bus routes etc.

To think that a major city like Oxford couldn’t cope with 7,000 football fans once a fortnight is nonsense.
External revenue may not go directly in to the club, but it could allow the club to pay a minimal rent (DC United pay $1 a year) as well as being able to pick up all match related revenue. That could immediately make us around £1m a year better off. The idea that anyone will gift the club all the associated revenue on top of a brand new stadium is ridiculous, but that doesn't mean that we won't get a much better deal than we currently have.
No more rent. I don’t want us to move to anywhere not owned by the club

I think you'll be in for a very long wait unfortunately. The 'club' hasn't got two brass farthings to rub together, let alone the multi-millions of pounds required to plan and build a new stadium.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Well, unless the council was involved. No security or control otherwise

I get that. But given that we're starting from a rented position surely a more favourable rent would be preferable to the status quo?

Unless a fan wins big on the lottery then this will probably never happen. It would be wonderful to have our own stadium, able to generate income directly invested in the club but it is unfortunately very unlikely.

SD was a close as we got to a rich fan buying us, but even he said that there was no commercial value in buying the Kassam and would have been reliant on grants and council support to fund WE (if that was ever viable).

Probably the best hope we ever have is to establish a deal where we pay a very minimal rent, and the only way this will happen is if all the additional stadium revenue covers the costs of whoever stumps up the building funds.

A new build, in a prime location could bring in significant income. If that is pumped back into the club we could easily survive in the Championship. If it goes into the back pocket of whoever owns the stadium then we are still better off by something like £1m a year.

Maybe not ideal, but about as good as we can hope for and much better than what we have.

Unless a fan wins big on the lottery then this will probably never happen. It would be wonderful to have our own stadium, able to generate income directly invested in the club but it is unfortunately very unlikely.

SD was a close as we got to a rich fan buying us, but even he said that there was no commercial value in buying the Kassam and would have been reliant on grants and council support to fund WE (if that was ever viable).

Probably the best hope we ever have is to establish a deal where we pay a very minimal rent, and the only way this will happen is if all the additional stadium revenue covers the costs of whoever stumps up the building funds.

A new build, in a prime location could bring in significant income. If that is pumped back into the club we could easily survive in the Championship. If it goes into the back pocket of whoever owns the stadium then we are still better off by something like £1m a year.

Maybe not ideal, but about as good as we can hope for and much better than what we have.
I guess what I mean is that the club and ground need to be owned by the same people. I’m strangely excited by the Oxpens idea though it is still far fetched

I guess what I mean is that the club and ground need to be owned by the same people. I’m strangely excited by the Oxpens idea though it is still far fetched
I imagine it would be owned by the same group but probably not one individual. I think Tiger is the man to bring the others together.

Oxpens is expensive unless the council decide it’s a best possible use of land in which case the land reduces in value based on other enterprises being ruled out of scope

Also there may be a deal to be struck with old punchable face around the value of the old ground for residential development that could help part fund our future.

Will take a darned good negotiator though

Oxpens is expensive unless the council decide it’s a best possible use of land in which case the land reduces in value based on other enterprises being ruled out of scope

Also there may be a deal to be struck with old punchable face around the value of the old ground for residential development that could help part fund our future.

Will take a darned good negotiator though
The council won’t approve the Oxpens.

I agree with most of that, but I would think who ever out laid the money for a new stadium would want to recoup that money back, then there's the rent and maintenance costs on top, there is no simple solution.

I get that. But given that we're starting from a rented position surely a more favourable rent would be preferable to the status quo?
You would have to guess if the current owner is happy or not with the current rental set up, it's only the fans who make a big deal of it.

You would have to guess if the current owner is happy or not with the current rental set up, it's only the fans who make a big deal of it.
Seems an unusual statement considering the apparent relationship between club owner and stadium owner at the moment. Do you think the status quo is a better solution than looking for alternatives LondonRoader? That’s a genuine question btw, I’m not looking to stir any pots. It’s interesting to see everyone’s point of view, this is a fascinating point in our clubs history.

Having said that I hope the club doesn’t take too long in getting itself into a position where it can reveal more regarding its plans and aspirations. I think it’s important the Thohir situation gets resolved one way or the other this week.

On the speculation on sites under review, there’s been a very compelling case for Oxpens put forward on here. The thought of a stadium and other leisure and recreational facilities, including cafes etc in that area, with the rail and bus links already in existence there, is an exciting proposition. I suppose the ever present issues with Botley Road will be a hindrance if there does prove to be any substance to this but until any more information comes out on where the sites actually are, I’m struggling to look any further than this one at the moment.

I know its only us on here that are talking about the Oxpens site. But the more you think about it the more it makes sense and the more exciting it begins to feel. Having said that its all probably pie in the sky and it will prove to be another false dawn.

On the speculation on sites under review, there’s been a very compelling case for Oxpens put forward on here. The thought of a stadium and other leisure and recreational facilities, including cafes etc in that area, with the rail and bus links already in existence there, is an exciting proposition. I suppose the ever present issues with Botley Road will be a hindrance if there does prove to be any substance to this but until any more information comes out on where the sites actually are, I’m struggling to look any further than this one at the moment.
I wonder if it’s on the magical 5 sites list?

Seems an unusual statement considering the apparent relationship between club owner and stadium owner at the moment. Do you think the status quo is a better solution than looking for alternatives LondonRoader? That’s a genuine question btw, I’m not looking to stir any pots. It’s interesting to see everyone’s point of view, this is a fascinating point in our clubs history.

Having said that I hope the club doesn’t take too long in getting itself into a position where it can reveal more regarding its plans and aspirations. I think it’s important the Thohir situation gets resolved one way or the other this week.
I think with the new directors on board now, they might have a more hands on approach and sort the relationship between Firoka, FK out, They will be able to talk to all parties and hopefully resolve the recent issues, then they could take a different view of the way forward, be that stay, look at any realistic alternative site, work out the financial implications either way on the best way forward, there is no one at the club who can do this at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom