National News This Green Plan.....

You can buy a EV for 20k
You can lease/PCP long range EV for less than £300 a month (80-90% of all new cars purchased this way).
All well within reach of the vast majority of all new car purchasers.

Yeah, unfortunately the vast majority of car users are not new car purchasers!

Absolutely.

Range has to improve by 100% minimum to really make this viable because the charging network will just not be there to cope.

Slap a 400-500 mile range on a charge and develop a charging network that is speedy and can cope with demand then this will move to another level.

At the moment 200-300 mile range and an hour+ to charge just doesn’t work.

There is also the issue for infrastructure in being able to produce enough energy at the right time and not just charging points but that there is universal standards etc throughout the network. This is an old article so these issues may be solved or on the way to being solved:

Friend of mine has bought a Porsche Taycan which was around £85k. It is a brute of a car with very low running costs, barring the outlay.
Next door has a Tesla S - £74k or so. Has a 0-60 of about 2.5 seconds!

All well and good but not realistic for normal folk!

We`ve just got a new Juke which only has a 1.1 engine, is exceedingly fuel efficient averaging 47 mpg or so.... I wouldn`t mind betting that, taking into account the component parts, ours has less environmental impact than the EV`s.

Friend of mine has bought a Porsche Taycan which was around £85k. It is a brute of a car with very low running costs, barring the outlay.

We`ve just got a new Juke which only has a 1.1 engine, is exceedingly fuel efficient averaging 47 mpg or so.... I wouldn`t mind betting that, taking into account the component parts, ours has less environmental impact than the EV`s.
Now recorded as 2.3 seconds. Which is very impressive. Fastest production car, on fact. The Lotus Evija is more orientated around getting to much higher speeds. Under 9 seconds to hit 186 mph.

Comparing apples and oranges

All of the criticisms of the tech here are obviously because we are at early point in the lifecycle, times are a changing get used to it.

Good article and puts it into perspective.
With regard to cost and performance , things are only likely to become significantly better over the next couple of decades.
Most people seem to accept that something needs to be done to reduce the effects of Global warming and whist this drive is far from perfect at the moment it seems to me that it is a start and will encourage innovation.

We know science and innovation can move quickly but it is difficult to push the innovation rather than allow the developments to morph. Challenge is distance and 10 years to put ability to travel a long way and infrastructure in place to support electric cars. This will give headaches to whatever government is in place

Maybe but surely the biggest changes are made by doing things that reduce more peoples carbon footprint?

Maybe legislating against anything over 2.0 litres engine capacity for a domestic purpose and work from there towards hybrid/EV`s?

Back
Top Bottom