Third of the way through......

tonyw

…...the group stage, at least.

For me:

India look the best team. Top order are in great form; they've got hitters in the middle order, a good pace attack and good spinners. Can't see them failing to make the semis, and they'll be a tough out there.

New Zealand top the table, and have probably the best pace bowling, but colour me unconvinced by their batting. I want to see them bat well against a strong attack before I'll believe they're a threat for the tournament.

The Aussies have some great players, but their top order don't look in the best of form and you'd fancy it against their bowling once Starc/Cummins are off.

Windies and Pakistan are thoroughly unpredictable. Reckon they can both beat anyone on the day where it all comes off, and lose to anyone on the day where it doesn't.

Bangladesh are highly competent, and Shakib may be the player of the tournament so far, but I doubt they've got enough wins in them to make the semis.

South Africa & Sri Lanka are shadows of their former selves, and not going to be a threat. Afghanistan unfortunately lack top level batting.

And England? Don't really know what to make of their start. We've scored half of the centuries this tournament, and more than 1000 runs in three games and yet we're only 2-1. Can't afford to have bad days in the field like we did against Pakistan if we want to win this thing.

Still reckon it's probably Eng, Ind, Aus, NZ to qualify for the semis and an England - India final.
But then again we could lose to the Windies on Friday, and then we'd be in some strife...….

…...the group stage, at least.

For me:

India look the best team. Top order are in great form; they've got hitters in the middle order, a good pace attack and good spinners. Can't see them failing to make the semis, and they'll be a tough out there.

New Zealand top the table, and have probably the best pace bowling, but colour me unconvinced by their batting. I want to see them bat well against a strong attack before I'll believe they're a threat for the tournament.

The Aussies have some great players, but their top order don't look in the best of form and you'd fancy it against their bowling once Starc/Cummins are off.

Windies and Pakistan are thoroughly unpredictable. Reckon they can both beat anyone on the day where it all comes off, and lose to anyone on the day where it doesn't.

Bangladesh are highly competent, and Shakib may be the player of the tournament so far, but I doubt they've got enough wins in them to make the semis.

South Africa & Sri Lanka are shadows of their former selves, and not going to be a threat. Afghanistan unfortunately lack top level batting.

And England? Don't really know what to make of their start. We've scored half of the centuries this tournament, and more than 1000 runs in three games and yet we're only 2-1. Can't afford to have bad days in the field like we did against Pakistan if we want to win this thing.

Still reckon it's probably Eng, Ind, Aus, NZ to qualify for the semis and an England - India final.
But then again we could lose to the Windies on Friday, and then we'd be in some strife...….
Fairly accurate overview that ....agree with most of it too

Those non moving bails though ....5 times? Not right that imo

Fairly accurate overview that ....agree with most of it too

Those non moving bails though ....5 times? Not right that imo

I've come across bails of all shapes and sizes in my time and those flasher bails are definitely heavier, no matter what the company say. I'd even go as far as to say they are as heavy as "heavy bails" that umpires carry.

There is, of course, no weight limit to bails in the laws...bet that's added at the end of this season.

Mind you, I've seen the stumps nicked without the bails falling off twice already in the middle this season...it COULD be a coincidence I guess.

Regarding the WC, I'm still sticking with my pre-tournament prediction of India, England, NZ and WI.

Pretty much agree with Tony's summing up.
We really need to beat the WIs (whose cause wasnt helped by today's non result)
The last 4 could be those predicted at the start of the tournament although the WI and Pakistan could still gate crash it.
India look the best side but we have looked very good in 2 games and had a fielding nightmare in the other.
Of course anybody who makes the semis has a chance in one iff games, but India have to now be favourites in my view.

That’s a pretty solid summary from Tony. I’m not sure about New Zealand having the best pace bowlers though. They haven’t been tested against one of the big guns yet. I’ve actually been impressed with the West Indies pace attack, and Pakistan on there day with Hasan Ali, Wahab Riaz, and Mohammed Amir are a very dangerous trio.

The tournament has been a good distraction away from football, and not been to bad so far! It’s disappointing the weather has ruined a couple of games, but that’s English weather. The main talking point is the stumps and bails. We saw first game Adil Rashid clip the stumps with the googly, and the bails never moved. It’s happened a number of times, and it’s quite obvious that it’s to do with the lights. At first it was a guess, but the more you look at it the more you think that’s the case.

For me Afghanistan, South Africa, and Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. will not qualify for the Semi Finals.

My prediction for the semi finals
India ??
England ???????
Pakistan ??
New Zealand ??

But that’s just a guess. It’s all about on the day in 50 over Cricket.

I’ll stick my neck on the line and say Pakistan ?? will win the trophy. Proven they can compete in the Uk and won the Champions Trophy here. Notorious slow starters, but a solid tournament team.

Last edited:
It’s happened a number of times, and it’s quite obvious that it’s to do with the lights. At first it was a guess, but the more you look at it the more you think that’s the case.
Apparently the light-up bails are three times as heavy as the normal bails but not quite as heavy as the lignum vitae bails used when it's very windy. I've never seen bails fail to come off even with the lignum vitae bails, so I reckon the stumps are at least as much to blame. There's been no mention of the stumps, but I am guessing they are heavier too - and that would also have an effect - a stump made of lead would be harder to move than one made of bamboo.* Combine more massy stumps and heavier bails...

* for the pedants among us, I am not suggesting that stumps are ever made out of bamboo or lead

The game wouldn't be worth playing if the stumps and bails didn't light up.

How about the fielders wearing gauntlets that make a big cheer when they catch the ball? That would make it more interesting.

From listening to it on the radio, one ground seems to have a bloke playing a guitar made out of a cricket bat playing riffs at the fall of a wicket etc. It's a good job they aren't over-using the gimmicks, eh.
Still, at least they haven't got those vile animated perimeter boards that infest football stadia.

From listening to it on the radio, one ground seems to have a bloke playing a guitar made out of a cricket bat playing riffs at the fall of a wicket etc. It's a good job they aren't over-using the gimmicks, eh.
Still, at least they haven't got those vile animated perimeter boards that infest football stadia.
....not yet , at least :oops:

The game wouldn't be worth playing if the stumps and bails didn't light up.

How about the fielders wearing gauntlets that make a big cheer when they catch the ball? That would make it more interesting.

They should add a dash of jeopardy by using a live grenade instead of the ball.

Please say he's doing "I don't like cricket" ?

So the ICC will not change the bails mid-tournament.
The same bails have been used for over 5 years so the reason for them failing to dislodge seems to be a mystery.
A director of Zing said "it has us stumped".

Could a team go through not having played as many games as the other teams?
Some teams might be "given" a point where they wouldn't have won one, conversely a team might lose a point when they expected two.

Could a team go through not having played as many games as the other teams?
Some teams might be "given" a point where they wouldn't have won one, conversely a team might lose a point when they expected two.

Of course - it's happened twice before at World Cups, at least.

In 1992, Pakistan were bowled out for 74 by England, but it started raining before we completed our run chase. Pakistan got a point they didn't deserve as a result, snuck into the semis by a point, and then went on to win the whole thing.

In 2003, we needed Pakistan to beat Zimbabwe in their final game to make the next round. Zimbabwe hadn't beaten anyone but the Netherlands and Namibia in the tournament (we'd given them a walkover by refusing to travel to Harare) but it rained, Zimbabwe got a point and we ended up on the plane home.

So two thirds of the way through now (soon to be more than that, once Bangladesh polish off the Afghans).

Looking more and more like an England/India/Australia/New Zealand semi-final lineup, but:

England have to win at least one of their last three, and two if any of Pakistan, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka run the table for their last three games. Both Bangladesh & Sri Lanka still have India to play, so you'd think Pakistan are the most likely of those three if they can beat NZ on Wednesday.

If that does happen, then despite currently topping the table, NZ will also be at risk as their last two games are England & Australia.

Hard to see the Aussies & Indians missing out given where they are in the table, and within SA & WI (respectively) still to come.

Huge game for England tomorrow.

Some thoughts of the WC so far:
- The grounds have generally looked fantastic. The Old Trafford temporary stand even looks good full up.
- The crowds have generally been excellent as well. Surely THE most multi cultural sporting event from a crowd perspective ever? Almost in any sport (** stand by to be corrected)
- it has been good to see Afghanistan at least competing in the past 2 games.
- Also good to see some close games and 300 suddenly looking decent score in a lot of games.

I'm glad we've had a couple of somewhat closer games.
I've been very disappointed by WI and SA - the WI spirit and me-first attitude has left a lot to be desired, SA are just a bit poor and quite behind the times.
It's nice to see that people of all kinds can get on and (even when their governments are playing silly buggers) sit next to each other and laugh and joke, at the same time as being fanatical supporters.

Back
Top Bottom