There’s money to spend

Smith was a decent punt in all honesty. Had done good things in the reserves and shown well in his first team appearances. He should have been developed.

The failing was building him up to be the Messiah after failing to land our multiple other targets due to not paying enough.

It's the same old story. Players who barely get a mention whilst playing are suddenly hard done by the moment they're dropped. Carroll was naive and with a bad attitude, Rothwell was injury prone and too lightweight, but the moment they're released they become world beaters. A few months ago everyone was calling for Smith to be dropped and many would have released him in October if we could. But once he is released, suddenly Robinson never gave him a chance. I'm sure we'll have the summer thing in the summer when we release Jon "Goal Machine" Obika!!!!
What impact has Smith had when coming off the bench?

I'd be delighted to answer. According to one website, since 13th OCT (I hope it's accurate :))

Plymouth (H) - 3 minutes
Bristol Rovers (A) - 1 minute
Shrewsbury (H) - 1 minute
Gillingham (H) - 56 minutes
Bradford (a) - 8 injury time minutes

Above are league games to fit my obvious agenda. (y)

He has played 441 minutes of league football since the start of the season. That'll be about five games.

All a lot younger, and desperate to get game time by dropping, but all also fully aware we would only ever be a stepping stone. go the other way and we’ve been pretty lucky with players that want to commit for long deals. Beano, Wright, ruffels, Eastwood,joey

Well......if you have to go back to the nineties to back up your point, then I think that sort of proves mine that instances of players staying with a club long-term are very low.

I also seem to recall that Joey was sold to West Ham for a reasonable fee at the time so those that play well will attract interest - again rather backs up my original points.

If you are right with your beliefs regarding Smith, then we must question why KR put so much emphasis in chasing his signature throughout the summer. If Tiger does have a reasonable amount of money for strengthening the squad, is KR the right person to spend it. His adulation of players he tried so hard to sign but was overruled ie, Ranger and others along with his excitement in the signing of Jordan Graham, makes you wonder if he can actually cut the mustard with. Club like OUFC.

IMHO no, there should be a panel of key board members and KR/SD/DF to agree where/how the money should be spent. A model used by many clubs these days.

Smith was a decent punt in all honesty. Had done good things in the reserves and shown well in his first team appearances. He should have been developed.

The failing was building him up to be the Messiah after failing to land our multiple other targets due to not paying enough.
I think the failure was not bringing another more experienced centreforward in to help him out. Surely he’d seen enough of a Obika to know he wasn’t going to be the answer? That was a lot of pressure to heap on an untested young man to get the necessary goals, especially in Robinson’s one up top formation. Which then brings us to Mackie, I can’t believe Robinson brought him in as a centre-forward, at least I hope he didn’t, I’d worry if Robinson thought he was the best he could get in that position. Which begs the question where did Robinson see Mackie fitting into the team? He’s too slow now to be an attacking mid or wide forward, and couldn’t have come for peanuts. I don’t think a two year contract for a player like Mackie is good business.

Well......if you have to go back to the nineties to back up your point, then I think that sort of proves mine that instances of players staying with a club long-term are very low.

I also seem to recall that Joey was sold to West Ham for a reasonable fee at the time so those that play well will attract interest - again rather backs up my original points.

I wasn’t arguing against your point, I said considering they are so low, we as a club have been pretty lucky to have a fair few that did commit long term. And joey was forced to move he would have Stayed his entire career

Just think for one game it was worth keeping him, as I think he would have been a better option than a 16 year old with very limited experience, especially one where Robinson played him out of his position.

What would one game have hurt?

It's possible that Robinson agreed to give Smith and McMahon time off to be with their families over Christmas as they won't be featuring with us again. One game may not have hurt, but would have also gained very little so sometimes you need to look beyond the game itself.

For me, it's an entirely pointless argument as I can guarantee that many would have moaned about playing Smith and leaving our own players on the bench.

Just think for one game it was worth keeping him, as I think he would have been a better option than a 16 year old with very limited experience, especially one where Robinson played him out of his position.

What would one game have hurt?
Agreed. Robinson sends one of his signings back early and then moans that he can’t do anything about his depleted squad until he can sign some players. You can’t fail to see the humour in that ?

It's possible that Robinson agreed to give Smith and McMahon time off to be with their families over Christmas as they won't be featuring with us again. One game may not have hurt, but would have also gained very little so sometimes you need to look beyond the game itself.

For me, it's an entirely pointless argument as I can guarantee that many would have moaned about playing Smith and leaving our own players on the bench.
A fair point that actually..

Also......and plenty will disagree......my annoyance with KR on Saturday was his decision to exclude McMahon and Smith from the matchday squad THUS weakening the bench and his options. I suggest it was a stunt to once again, make the point known to Tiger, that he needs cash to spend and a 'cry' of look how weak we are.

Whatever one thinks of either player, sending one off back to Reading and allowing the other (in and out of the team/squad since his arrival) to be excluded, was ridiculous when you can't even bring in reinforcements or replacements. No offence to young Spasov or Lopes but what chance have you really got to win a game or make something happen - at least Smith and McMahon were 'first team'/'senor' players by comparison.

A foolish mistake by Robinson.

Only three players started on Saturday were Karl's signings. As for Holmes (another setback I hear) - it's time to cut the emotion and send him back.
Smith going back and McMahon leaving the club for personal reasons so maybe Robbo decides it wouldn’t be in the interest of the players or the club to included them Last Saturday.

Agreed. Robinson sends one of his signings back early and then moans that he can’t do anything about his depleted squad until he can sign some players. You can’t fail to see the humour in that [emoji16]

Maybe it was part of the agreement with reading, that they would cancel the loan but wanted him back ASAP to arrange a different move ?

Maybe it was part of the agreement with reading, that they would cancel the loan but wanted him back ASAP to arrange a different move ?
Yeah, I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit ? Agreed, theres a load of possible reasons why he wasn’t in the squad Saturday. I accept that Robinson has a very difficult job at the moment and we need to try and support as much as we can. My annoyance is that a lot of the issues he now has could have been avoided with a bit more creative and clever thinking in the summer, but Robinson refuses to to accept any blame whatsoever.

I think the failure was not bringing another more experienced centreforward in to help him out. Surely he’d seen enough of a Obika to know he wasn’t going to be the answer? That was a lot of pressure to heap on an untested young man to get the necessary goals, especially in Robinson’s one up top formation. Which then brings us to Mackie, I can’t believe Robinson brought him in as a centre-forward, at least I hope he didn’t, I’d worry if Robinson thought he was the best he could get in that position. Which begs the question where did Robinson see Mackie fitting into the team? He’s too slow now to be an attacking mid or wide forward, and couldn’t have come for peanuts. I don’t think a two year contract for a player like Mackie is good business.

Because he was relatively cheap and available.

If we’ve failed to add a sell on for Roofe we really are incompetent.

Hope we are looking at walker currently on loan at Mansfield.

Very much dealt it he’s from Nottingham by all accounts so Mansfield its a easy journey & wouldn’t need to relocate plus there going for promotion where we are the opposite to that

Back
Top Bottom