There has to be something going on..

If we were currently in the top 10, I'd be interested to see if a) this post was here, or b) would it be getting the same level of responses. AFC Oxford, merging with Oxford City, the end of OUFC.... Yes it's a worrying time, but Jesus Christ, isn't it too early for all of that?

On paper, pre-season, I'd say that 80% of us felt as though we had assembled a solid squad to have a go this year. And in KR, yes, always going to be a bit of a self-obsessed bellsprout, but most of us felt that he was the best manager we could attract at the time. The Shaun Derry appointment seemed to be a good idea as well. Ultimately, that hasn't played out as most of us expected, but I don't believe the performances can be associated to the goings on in the boardroom.

I haven't been a fan of Tiger since that first car crash of a press conference, and whilst his motives and comms are questionable/non-existent, we're all still ultimately ignorant to what's actually going on at the club. The posse assembled around Tiger is somewhat confusing, and I was worried that the most sense in recent fan forums was coming out of a sub-teacher from my old school.... But for now, trying to put an optimistic slant on it all, for all we know there are some investors lined up who do have a plan to get us into the Championship, which is becoming more and more of a lucrative proposition financially. Maintaining a club at that level takes money and a well equipped board, and if some of the stadium talk is genuinely in the interest of the club (in terms of sustainable progression), then this could be a step towards all of that. It might not, and we could be doomed.

Ultimately a poor post, but I've written that much that I want to post it.... Let's just hope for some clarity soon, and a bloody win on Saturday!

It seems the damage has been done to the football club and it’s irreversible. It has nothing left to bargain with, no assets, nothing. The prospect of it ever owning its own ground again is pie in the sky unless a true fan wins the euro lottery or a rich benefactor suddenly emerges. As far as I can tell we have three options

1) The club suddenly backs down to FK, apologies for upsetting him, pay him everything he thinks is due, promise to be a good little boy from now on and hope the nice Mr Kassam let’s them stay at the sh#thole - I mean stadium - long term

2) Tiger puts together a rich group of businessmen who see a potential money making opportunity involving land, housing and leisure development- a sort of Kassam Stadium mk2 but hopefully to a bigger and better standard than Mk 1. Unfortunately the actual football club itself will just be a trivial, uninteresting side issue..

3) The councils provide a stadium for the club to play in, that will be an asset for the benefit of the local community. Hopefully the club would only have to pay a nominal rent but the profit making opportunities would be minimal at best. There would also be irate tax payers with no interest in OUFC to deal with.

What would most people choose?

I now live in York, and they have opted for number 3. Build a community stadium that's owned by the Council, shared by York City and the Rugby Club, and includes a leisure complex and community hub. Personally, I'd go for this for us as well, although I think number 2 is more realistic if we were to move. I do wonder whether all of these 'statements' from the club are bluffs to see how FK reacts.

I get slagged for saying some of our fans don't have real passion. I have read some comments on here about walking away from our club, merging and even forming a new club.

I am ashamed to be associated with such people, it's not just a badge, team colours and the likes of that... It's a way of life, it's like another family, it's our identity, it's our history, it's our belief, it's what brings us together, it's our joy, it's our pride and for some of us it's our passion!

We could be facing hard times, but I can say it makes me more determined to fight for my club and my team than ever.

I will never turn my back on my pride and joy, Up The U's!!

I now live in York, and they have opted for number 3. Build a community stadium that's owned by the Council, shared by York City and the Rugby Club, and includes a leisure complex and community hub. Personally, I'd go for this for us as well, although I think number 2 is more realistic if we were to move. I do wonder whether all of these 'statements' from the club are bluffs to see how FK reacts.
Option 3 would be the best option in my view but I think that ship sailed away with Water Eaton.

I get slagged for saying some of our fans don't have real passion. I have read some comments on here about walking away from our club, merging and even forming a new club.

I am ashamed to be associated with such people, it's not just a badge, team colours and the likes of that... It's a way of life, it's like another family, it's our identity, it's our history, it's our belief, it's what brings us together, it's our joy, it's our pride and for some of us it's our passion!

We could be facing hard times, but I can say it makes me more determined to fight for my club and my team than ever.

I think there’s been some crossed wires on this thread. The talk, as I understood it, is what would people do in the event of worst case scenario of the club folding: would they support a Phoenix club. Not walking away from the club they support while it still exists..?

Bit soppy lad. You're the sort of guy who would blindly pay £1200 for a season ticket if they charged it, because "I love this bloody club".

It's very noble of you to take the title of "world's best OUFC fan", but some of us want something sustainable that we can pass on to our future children and grandchildren, and are perhaps willing to make compromises if circumstances dictate.

If we don't get out of this stadium, there will be no Oxford United in the future.

Bit soppy lad. You're the sort of guy who would blindly pay £1200 for a season ticket if they charged it, because "I love this bloody club".

It's very noble of you to take the title of "world's best OUFC fan", but some of us want something sustainable that we can pass on to our future children and grandchildren, and are perhaps willing to make compromises if circumstances dictate.

If we don't get out of this stadium, there will be no Oxford United in the future.

No I am against over priced football and speaking from the heart, it's known as passion son!

• React
Reactions: Jem
I think there’s been some crossed wires on this thread. The talk, as I understood it, is what would people do in the event of worst case scenario of the club folding: would they support a Phoenix club. Not walking away from the club they support while it still exists..?

Not in some posts, the club will not fold and look at the likes of Charlton who were homeless etc but their fans stuck with it as the heartbeat of a club is its fans!

Plymouth will be a watershed moment for us.

A draw/loss and things could get pretty nasty pretty quick.

Twin this with *possible* updates come the end of October and by the start of November would could be in a seriously bad position.

Imagine the situation...bottom of the league, just lost to Plymouth, no news from Tiger, no movement on Thohir coming in.

Let’s hope we manage to hang in for a draw Saturday, unlike our last home performance. You know, players faking injuries, water stops, getting the ball boys/girls to use delaying tactics etc.

Have to say as an OXVOX member I am perturbed by their silence. I can understand that they may know more and it's a delicate situation with legal issues etc.

I understand that, but as the voice of the fans they should be taking a lead and speaking up!!

I am a supporter of OXVOX and this is not a dig but we need more from them....

A statement needs to be issued regarding the on pitch issues if nothing else. Something that is damming yet positive. “The form is of massive concern, but we are happy to work with the board to resolve issues” a statement to include words to that effect at least.

They have been fairly quite since the new committee was formed.

Just to confirm how out of touch some owners are and how money has ruined the game:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45811803

Worried about clubs going bankrumpt! Well here's a fun idea for these owners, how about living within your means?! TV money alone gave Leeds £7.5 million. Add on top of that all the ticket sales for games, merchandise. A club like Leeds must be really hard up!

Interest in revitalising the dog track at Sandy Lane?

A sizeable loan to make it happen has just been submitted by a Mr J Beauchamp ...

A football pitch surrounded by a dog track and then a speedway track would be a absolute disaster for the club. Every ground I’ve ever been to where the pitch is surrounded by a running track or whatever has been an atmospheric library. Especially behind the goals as it’s miles away.
Sadly and I know many will not agree. If speedway dies because people didn’t go. Then what’s the point in it being resurrected. Same with the dogs. I remember a time when thousands went. But it’s just not that mainstream or interesting to be sustainable.

A statement needs to be issued regarding the on pitch issues if nothing else. Something that is damming yet positive. “The form is of massive concern, but we are happy to work with the board to resolve issues” a statement to include words to that effect at least.

They have been fairly quite since the new committee was formed.
And how exactly would OxVox work with the board to resolve on-pitch issues?

A football pitch surrounded by a dog track and then a speedway track would be a absolute disaster for the club. Every ground I’ve ever been to where the pitch is surrounded by a running track or whatever has been an atmospheric library. Especially behind the goals as it’s miles away.
Sadly and I know many will not agree. If speedway dies because people didn’t go. Then what’s the point in it being resurrected. Same with the dogs. I remember a time when thousands went. But it’s just not that mainstream or interesting to be sustainable.

It's not hosted speedway for years and there has been no dog racing either. Think its been used for go carting and that's all. So the track could go.

The option of a Phoenix club may disgust some fans of which m is one who so eloquently voiced his thoughts, but it is an option that needs to be kept on the table. Those who suggest such an option are not trolls and certainly just as committed fans to the yellows as those who would not entertain such an idea, but it has to remain a serious option. As for the suggestion of fans buying the club, fantasy is a word that comes to mind. Clubs can be brought for a £1 thats not the issue, it’s the cost of running a club playing at the Kassam that is. It’s been stated on here that the owner of Eastleigh pumped in £10m to try to get the club into the football league, but failed and they own the ground they play in. I don’t know what the answer is, I doubt if any of us do, but something needs to happen before we find ourselves playing in the National League with £1m costs to the club for the privilege of playing at the Kassam.

And how exactly would OxVox work with the board to resolve on-pitch issues?

By consultation. Acting as the voice of the fans as they should be. If the board can’t see the failings for some staggering reason OxVox can advise why the fans are so annoyed. The on field issues are a cog that isn’t quite working on this big machine that is our football club.

To just sit there and say nothing doesn’t in my opinion give confidence from members such as myself (and the fan base as a whole) that OxVox are working to resolve issues or are actually concerned.

It seems the damage has been done to the football club and it’s irreversible. It has nothing left to bargain with, no assets, nothing. The prospect of it ever owning its own ground again is pie in the sky unless a true fan wins the euro lottery or a rich benefactor suddenly emerges. As far as I can tell we have three options

1) The club suddenly backs down to FK, apologies for upsetting him, pay him everything he thinks is due, promise to be a good little boy from now on and hope the nice Mr Kassam let’s them stay at the sh#thole - I mean stadium - long term

2) Tiger puts together a rich group of businessmen who see a potential money making opportunity involving land, housing and leisure development- a sort of Kassam Stadium mk2 but hopefully to a bigger and better standard than Mk 1. Unfortunately the actual football club itself will just be a trivial, uninteresting side issue..

3) The councils provide a stadium for the club to play in, that will be an asset for the benefit of the local community. Hopefully the club would only have to pay a nominal rent but the profit making opportunities would be minimal at best. There would also be irate tax payers with no interest in OUFC to deal with.

What would most people choose?
Er how can you say that damage to the club is irreversible and then come up with options?
We have had no assets to bargain with since we left the Manor and even then we were living in a crumbling ground unsuitable for The championship and owned by the banks indirectly.
In my view if we could get a better ground d out if the clutches if Kassam with a sensible lease rather than the ridiculous licence Lenegan signed then things could look a lot better (and I don't know how likely that is)

The option of a Phoenix club may disgust some fans of which m is one who so eloquently voiced his thoughts, but it is an option that needs to be kept on the table. Those who suggest such an option are not trolls and certainly just as committed fans to the yellows as those who would not entertain such an idea, but it has to remain a serious option. As for the suggestion of fans buying the club, fantasy is a word that comes to mind. Clubs can be brought for a £1 thats not the issue, it’s the cost of running a club playing at the Kassam that is. It’s been stated on here that the owner of Eastleigh pumped in £10m to try to get the club into the football league, but failed and they own the ground they play in. I don’t know what the answer is, I doubt if any of us do, but something needs to happen before we find ourselves playing in the National League with £1m costs to the club for the privilege of playing at the Kassam.
Maybe it is the back if people's mind if the club end up out of existence but that is potentially a very long way to go.
Some are talking of almost getting on with it. One person arrogantly ( in my view) suggested that they wouldn't mind merging with Oxford City. WTF? I would expect Oxford City supporters would hate that idea.
Isn't there enough to be worried about/ things to be talking about oufc at the moment?

A Reading fan that cares about OUFC, there's a first ?

Difference is as has been mentioned previously we as a club don't really have any assets to strip, we don't own the ground, we own no land so what could he strip?

My worry is that there is no plan, hope I am wrong!

What if there's a pay off of £x million from FK to leave the stadium on the cards? Freeing it up to for the development of houses worth Millions.
Tiger pockets the money and punts the homeless club on for next to nothing

Er how can you say that damage to the club is irreversible and then come up with options?
We have had no assets to bargain with since we left the Manor and even then we were living in a crumbling ground unsuitable for The championship and owned by the banks indirectly.
In my view if we could get a better ground d out if the clutches if Kassam with a sensible lease rather than the ridiculous licence Lenegan signed then things could look a lot better (and I don't know how likely that is)
Because as I said, none of the options involve the club owning it’s own stadium?

Back
Top Bottom