Matches "The Wrong End"......

Palace away when Stuart Massey equalised late in the game. At Fratton when we beat the 4:1 I was sat in the North Stand with a mate who got me a freebie. When the 3rd went it couldn't contain myself. Even my mate deserted me lol

I was at the 26 Feb 1972 game. Epic. We lost 4-0..........…...
Was that the time Oxford not only took the Town end, but also, after the match 'took' the then single, huge roundabout, couple of thousand of Oxford's finest performing a massed 'knees up mother Brown' on said roundabout & stopped traffic in all directions, gridlocking that part of Sw*nd*n as a result of it?
The 'magic' roundabout complex replaced the single , big roundabout shortly after If memory serves?
Coincidental that, It couldntve been anything to do with Oxford fans causing traffic issues, could it ?

I can vaguely remember a milk float getting ambushed somewhere near the County Ground........... it was a while ago.....

I can vaguely remember a milk float getting ambushed somewhere near the County Ground........... it was a while ago.....
me too ... I think that was during a different Oxford visit to the one when the roaundabout was 'taken'?

Doesn't really count I suppose, but every single away game I went to with my granddad & uncle from 1980 - 1984/5 because my granddad got comp tkts off of the players which were always in the main stand etc.

I got fed up with this eventually, so used drop the shoulder on them before the game, go in the away end & meet them back in the players bar afterwards.

Was that the time Oxford not only took the Town end, but also, after the match 'took' the then single, huge roundabout, couple of thousand of Oxford's finest performing a massed 'knees up mother Brown' on said roundabout & stopped traffic in all directions, gridlocking that part of Sw*nd*n as a result of it?
Not sure. Couldn't wait to get out of the place and was too busy trying to keep my mum's Hillman Imp from spinning off!

Not too many....

Wolves away: early 1990s with a friend. I think we played in the infamous blue red stripey sneeze kit and Matt Elliott scores the opener in a 1-2 defeat.

Brentford home: my one time in the cuckoo lane with some old friends from London. I was struck by how loud and intimidating the London Road end looked.....like a dark abyss of ominous silhouettes making noises only heard in Mordor

Plymouth away: league cup mid 90s we were 3-0 down at half time and went to win 5-3. I had to be removed From the home end and my pilgrim friends by the time the equalizer went in

Last edited:
Cuckoo lane when Swindon were visiting late 70s along with half pint, pluggy ,Perry ,crackle ,quinny and a few more from proper Left side London road.?.
Newport county , Charlton , hard to remember soo long ago.
Funniest was plug standing in Millwall end on his own at their old ground , argh the good old days with no CCTV etc and slap on wrist and chucked out good job most of us have moved on from those fun days etc
Forgot what it's like to down pints in the pub at Gloucester green before 9 in morning before we catch footie specials etc.

Peterborough, when we got promoted in 96. A boro friend got me the ticket. I latched onto a couple of their fans going into the Cuckoo Lane as plod was asking questions as we went in.
Wimbledon a few times, simply because my son decided the night before he wanted to go.
The last time we went to Orient, we sat down the front behind the goal, with their rag tag bunch up on the corner of the stand, purely because we had sold out the away end.
Reading away 84'ish, just to say hello to the twins, as you do! A great day out!

Last edited:
A couple of times stick out for me...
1 - Swindon away in the 90’s, hospitality tickets due to a company I used to deal with (clarion car radios)...
Sat in the Arkells stand, halfway line with a guy I used to deal with (not a friend I may add),,,,, Mike Ford goes and scored in thy 2nd minute and how I didn’t get lynched was anyone business, I went fcuking mental..
We were then 3-1 down at half time so that was torture enough..
2 - came down from Lincoln again in the early 90’s for the Leeds Utd fa cup match, none of us had tickets as sold out however we, they talked their way into the cookoo lane end after 20 minutes of the game starting, by then the yellows were 1-0 up, as we entered the ground we went 2-0 up and I was quiet as a mouse, again they had the laugh of the day as the game finished 2-2 unbeknowning we would win the replay 3-2 at elland toad with Jimmy magic getting the winner in extra time..
Good times...

A couple of times stick out for me...
1 - Swindon away in the 90’s, hospitality tickets due to a company I used to deal with (clarion car radios)...
Sat in the Arkells stand, halfway line with a guy I used to deal with (not a friend I may add),,,,, Mike Ford goes and scored in thy 2nd minute and how I didn’t get lynched was anyone business, I went fcuking mental..
We were then 3-1 down at half time so that was torture enough..
2 - came down from Lincoln again in the early 90’s for the Leeds Utd fa cup match, none of us had tickets as sold out however we, they talked their way into the cookoo lane end after 20 minutes of the game starting, by then the yellows were 1-0 up, as we entered the ground we went 2-0 up and I was quiet as a mouse, again they had the laugh of the day as the game finished 2-2 unbeknowning we would win the replay 3-2 at elland toad with Jimmy magic getting the winner in extra time..
Good times...

Leeds game with the Jim Mag fk winner in extra time at Elland Rd, was on my youngest lads 2nd birthday , hes 28 now ... and comes to as many games as he can

Just an idea.......
How many times have you watched Oxford games from the "wrong end" and why?
Chelsea (Stamford Bridge) - Ban on away fans.
Luton (Kenilworth) - 1 x Ban on away fans & 1 x sold out.
Wycombe (Awful Park) - 1 x sold out and 1 x Thrown out so walked around and paid again.
Bolton (at the Manor) - arrived late, LRT "full", watched from the Cuckoo Lane.
Bolton (Away) - Free "Home" Box.
Anyone else?
Chelsea , Ban on away fans - Do recall we got marched out by the OB?
Luton , Ban on away fans and a sold out.
Both of them in the glory years of the 80s , when it was just high spirts and having to see the game.
Marlow ... Oh what a game that was!
W-S-M , When some nice stewards , let us in the away end.??
Lots More to think of...

My dad and his mate, for Shearer's header 1-0 against Germany at Euro 2000. They made it home so can't have been anything too bad..

I've a few but the standout was the 1-0 win over Everton (Les Phillips). Travelled back from uni for the match, Oxford end was all ticket and sold out, paid cash(!) to go in the Cuckoo Lane end with the Everton fans. Watched Lineker miss a couple of sitters and just about managed to keep quiet when we scored! More recently I was in the home end at Wimbledon as a mate had a spare ticket.
Here’s a coincidence for ya. This was also the only time I saw us from the away end and bizarrely I was living in Maidenhead at the time!!

Old Trafford in the scoreboard end 1975 ish ,Derek Clarke overhead kick to open the scoring.....god that was hard to keep quiet....then 2 of the dodgiest penalties ever give and we lost 2-1 ....the ref that day went on to be one of the top refs....that day he was a total useless t**t.

Back
Top Bottom