General The "woke" society and liberalism.

Essexyellows

Now I am fully in favour of us all treating each other as equals and with dignity and respect.
However society also has history that we can not change and words that have changed their meanings over time.

First up, its nearly Christmas...... and a classic song has a word "removed" so as not to "offend" whoever.

Why? The lyric is "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot" no more, no less, just detrimental insults being exchanged in the context of a song. Maybe they should do away with the allegations of police brutality in the same song as well?

Not to be outdone the students at De Montfort University are "calling for it to be renamed" because they want to end its association with Simon De Montfort, a 13th-Century baron who expelled Jewish people from Leicester.
It was only named De Montfort University in 1992, it was previously Leicester Polytechnic.

Are people these days brought up to be "offended" by something because it is their "right" ?

I despair for the future.

Maybe the Forum`s more leftist/ liberal types can justify the thought processes to a right of centre old bloke.

The De Montfort thing has been rumbling on for years (there's a part of it in Bedford which is near me). Seems like an odd bloke to choose to name a 'university' after - perhaps it could just go back to Leicester Poly? As a left of centre old bloke, I can't say it 'offends' me but I can see why it might be a good idea to pick someone a bit less anti-Semitic!

The Pogues thing though is just a bit daft. As a bit of a scumbag meself, I think *that's* the bit they ought to change - I am boiling over with righteous indignation. ;)

A fun game to play while watching TV over Christmas......

Prior to each commercial break, decide upon the playing order amongst yourselves.
Then each player takes an advert in turn and shouts out each of the PC/'Woke' boxes it has ticked.
One point per tick, most points at the end of the film wins.....

Mmmmm Brains faggots with peas and mash......never did nobody growing up in the 70's no harm🤪

I would've thought calling the late, great Kirsty McColl a drug addict of easy virtue was potentially a more offensive line*, but each to their own I guess

*If you don't have a life, that is

Not got a problem with people asserting their right to be offended by something, as long as they equally respect my assertion of a right not to give a toss.

Anyway....get with the program grandad....everybody has to be pissed off at something ALL the time these days...'tis the gospel according to Murdoch & Rothermere.

Now I am fully in favour of us all treating each other as equals and with dignity and respect.
However society also has history that we can not change and words that have changed their meanings over time.

First up, its nearly Christmas...... and a classic song has a word "removed" so as not to "offend" whoever.

Why? The lyric is "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot" no more, no less, just detrimental insults being exchanged in the context of a song. Maybe they should do away with the allegations of police brutality in the same song as well?

Not to be outdone the students at De Montfort University are "calling for it to be renamed" because they want to end its association with Simon De Montfort, a 13th-Century baron who expelled Jewish people from Leicester.
It was only named De Montfort University in 1992, it was previously Leicester Polytechnic.

Are people these days brought up to be "offended" by something because it is their "right" ?

Maybe the Forum`s more leftist/ liberal types can justify the thought processes to a right of centre old bloke.

Thinking about it though - it would be funny as f**k if the students got their wish and it was renamed as Leicester Polytechnic.

OK boomer. ;)

Sorry, Keith was born in something called the 'Aden Colony' so I guess he's Cornish. Gok Wan's from Leicester, tho (y)

Thinking about it though - it would be funny as f**k if the students got their wish and it was renamed as Leicester Polytechnic.

Then Brookes could revert back to Oxpoly as well.............. in fact all the former polytechnic`s could do so. :)

They should just bleep out the words - loads of songs on the radio are censored, it’s hardly anything new. It’s not a big deal

As long as they don't decide to change the lyrics to 'Five Years' by Bowie, that has some questionable words in it which may bruise some. Or Money For Nothing by Dire Straits come to think about it, although I'd ban that on taste grounds.

The bit of this that made me smile was your self-description as being 'right of centre' - I almost had to insert a bunch of smiley faces and.......................