General The "woke" society and liberalism.

Love the story about Fox doing something on TV where women were getting their handbags swabbed for bacteria, he was asked if they could test his wallet. "Yeah, we won't be doing that" was his reply šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Wonderful. Now they've just got to stop paying their licence fee. Nothing changes, otherwise

What is this "licence fee" of which you speak? Only watch Netflix here.... :)

And we are not alone it seems.

What is this "licence fee" of which you speak? Only watch Netflix here.... :)

And we are not alone it seems.
Same, I will not pay unless I feel I'm getting value and/or support the values of the organisation. Same reason why I won't get Sky. I can't pay for the BBC to produce propaganda which I don't agree with.

Go woke, go broke!

Same, I will not pay unless I feel I'm getting value and/or support the values of the organisation. Same reason why I won't get Sky. I can't pay for the BBC to produce propaganda which I don't agree with.

Go woke, go broke!
Yes it is a bit right wing but I enjoy the football and Silent Witness

I believe BT Sport has the rights for it.
Yes but you'd think the BBC could realistically compete on price for the rights.

When I was a kid you could watch Champions League, international football F1, darts, cricket and probably more on terrestrial TV. Now it just seems to be snooker and tennis only. In many ways it's sad to see what has happened to it, but such is modernisation, I guess.

Yes but you'd think the BBC could realistically compete on price for the rights.

When I was a kid you could watch Champions League, international football F1, darts, cricket and probably more on terrestrial TV. Now it just seems to be snooker and tennis only. In many ways it's sad to see what has happened to it, but such is modernisation, I guess.
I'm not sure that there would be any interest in showing the games unfortunately, I wonder what the viewing figures would be. The BBC have done well with the FA Cup, they had 13 live games from round 1, and around the same this weekend for round 2, including Oxford City.

Where the BBC have been good over the years has been their music output, just today I watched a Doves set from the 6 Music studio. There has been good festival coverage and diverse artists given air time. This for me has been the justification for the licence fee.

I watch practically nothing on their mainstream channels however.

I'm not sure that there would be any interest in showing the games unfortunately, I wonder what the viewing figures would be. The BBC have done well with the FA Cup, they had 13 live games from round 1, and around the same this weekend for round 2, including Oxford City.

Where the BBC have been good over the years has been their music output, just today I watched a Doves set from the 6 Music studio. There has been good festival coverage and diverse artists given air time. This for me has been the justification for the licence fee.

I watch practically nothing on their mainstream channels however.
6Music has been my pal during lockdown. I like BBC4 - the Romans, steam trains, 70s rock, etc

Kind of fits in here......................

Yep, it certainly does fit in with the alt-right faction. The right believe the BBC is too far to the left and left believe it too far to the right, so they must be doing something right. Still, it'll all be fine when Johnson appoints Paul Dacre to run Ofcom.

I've got no problem with the licence fee. 6 Music, Radio 4, local radio, BBC4 - I might not agree with all of the output but a lot of this type of programming would not exist outside of a public funded broadcaster and there is real merit in that. I actually don't think they should be bidding competitively on football, rugby and cricket, there are other outlets that can pay more and offer the sort of broad coverage that the BBC can't. Yes, run the protected events such as the World Cup, Olympics, etc which should all be free to air.

I don't agree with everything the BBC says or does but I disagree and move on - it doesn't bring me out in emojis and...........

The BBC World Service is a trusted broadcaster throughout the globe - often it offers news and information in societies where that is hard come by in an unfiltered form. A business acquaintance in Georgia was recently telling me how many people he knows are tuning in.

So, you don't pay your licence and don't us the BBC in any of its many forms then?

The BBC World Service is a trusted broadcaster throughout the globe - often it offers news and information in societies where that is hard come by in an unfiltered form. A business acquaintance in Georgia was recently telling me how many people he knows are tuning in.
Bloody foreigners, staying over there and using our licence fee...

Yep, it certainly does fit in with the alt-right faction. The right believe the BBC is too far to the left and left believe it too far to the right, so they must be doing something right. Still, it'll all be fine when Johnson appoints Paul Dacre to run Ofcom.

I've got no problem with the licence fee. 6 Music, Radio 4, local radio, BBC4 - I might not agree with all of the output but a lot of this type of programming would not exist outside of a public funded broadcaster and there is real merit in that. I actually don't think they should be bidding competitively on football, rugby and cricket, there are other outlets that can pay more and offer the sort of broad coverage that the BBC can't. Yes, run the protected events such as the World Cup, Olympics, etc which should all be free to air.

I don't agree with everything the BBC says or does but I disagree and move on - it doesn't bring me out in emojis and...........

So, you don't pay your licence and don't us the BBC in any of its many forms then?
Wondering why you chose to use "alt right" instead of just "right"?

I've not seen any racism or white supremacy on the forum from anyone, and it is ethnonationalism which typically differentiates the two groups. It's an interesting choice of words and I wonder if I've missed something.

Wondering why you chose to use "alt right" instead of just "right"?

I've not seen any racism or white supremacy on the forum from anyone, and it is ethnonationalism which typically differentiates the two groups. It's an interesting choice of words and I wonder if I've missed something.
No, that was a bit unwarranted I'll give you that. As for there being no racism, I can only quote from Father Ted 'I mightn't be able to to devote myself to the old racism'. Certainly beats a Googled Margaret Atwood quote!