The Winter Cricket thread

I thought we played very well and (to coin a cliché) you can only beat what's in front of you, but Sri Lanka looked like a sorry excuse of a team TBH. And in their 'home' conditions too.

I'd call that a near-perfect test victory. Apart from the first session on the first day we won every session thereafter. Considering the lack of preparation due to the tour being scheduled in monsoon season I thought we applied ourselves really well.

And when have we ever been able to say an England spin attack far outperformed a team from the subcontinent in their own conditions. I bet there are many England captains past who are looking on rather enviously at this trio compared to the players they had at their disposal. We've got Moeen's wicket taking ability, Leach's near pinpoint accuracy and control, and the luxury of Rashid who will mix the horrible with the unplayable.

Also a word for Jennings. He is an excellent player of spin and looked a completely different batsman facing the spin attack of Sri Lanka compared to the walking wicket that faced the Indian seamers over the summer. I read earlier he's averaging over 70 in tests in Asia. That drops to 17.7 at home. Can we just take him over there every few years and leave him out the rest of the time?!

I'd call that a near-perfect test victory. Apart from the first session on the first day we won every session thereafter. Considering the lack of preparation due to the tour being scheduled in monsoon season I thought we applied ourselves really well.

And when have we ever been able to say an England spin attack far outperformed a team from the subcontinent in their own conditions. I bet there are many England captains past who are looking on rather enviously at this trio compared to the players they had at their disposal. We've got Moeen's wicket taking ability, Leach's near pinpoint accuracy and control, and the luxury of Rashid who will mix the horrible with the unplayable.

Also a word for Jennings. He is an excellent player of spin and looked a completely different batsman facing the spin attack of Sri Lanka compared to the walking wicket that faced the Indian seamers over the summer. I read earlier he's averaging over 70 in tests in Asia. That drops to 17.7 at home. Can we just take him over there every few years and leave him out the rest of the time?!
Jennings and Rashid definitely are the stand out players so far in this series,for me ...alongside Foakes

So the same team for the second Test but Stokes at 3 and Moeen at 6.
That seems a sensible selection. There have been hints that Root feels more able to be his own man without Cook being there.

So the same team for the second Test but Stokes at 3 and Moeen at 6.
That seems a sensible selection. There have been hints that Root feels more able to be his own man without Cook being there.

I do like keeping the same team, tough as it is on Bairstow. I sort of like Stokes at 3. He’s shown the ability in the past to dig in and grind runs out, which Mooen (strangely, given he bats there for Worcs) doesn’t seem able to do.

Yes. Its nice Burns wasn't dropped and the same 11 will take the field. Longer term though I can't see Stokes being the answer at 3, not on our pitches anyway. I think we do need to bed in a speciallist top order batsman soon. Maybe in the Windies in the New year.

Impossible to know how good or bad a score this is until Sri Lanka have had a bat, but yet again the lower order are adding a few useful runs.

Wow 285 all out.
Agnew said he couldn't see the game lasting more than 3 days the pitch is so poor
If right this could be a very good score.

Ended up being more than 'a few useful runs' :) Nice innings from Curran.

A wicket or two in the last few overs would see up well on top.

To be fair it sounds like this is turning sideways and Agrees reckons 250 would be a good score.
That was the impression I had, but having seen Curran and Rashid bat, I can't help but feel the batters got out cheaply again. Good to see Burns get a score though.

I wasn't so sure at the time but it looks a good decision to bring Rachid out of Test match 'retirement.
He certainly gives England a different option and can bowl unplayable deliveries.
This spin attack could actually bowl well in I do a and the UAE.
And why on earth take Anderson Broad Woakes Stokes and Stone to Sri Lanka. Ridiculous. Broad could have rested before the West Indies series.

He may bowl so guff at times, but Rashid is a proper spinner of the ball and offers something we don't have consistently on all pitches. A threat.

A decent day so far. Root has batted well and we've had some decent scores from the batters. How many runs are enough to challenge Sri Lanka in the 2nd innings?

A decent day so far. Root has batted well and we've had some decent scores from the batters. How many runs are enough to challenge Sri Lanka in the 2nd innings?

Decent chance of 300 now. Roooooooooot.

Back
Top Bottom