The Winter Cricket thread

Jennings wicket rather summed up his recent stint. Missed a juicy ball outside his leg stump to get bowled off his pocket.

Happy for Root and getting that century - today was the first innings he's looked in nick and he's taken advantage of a man down attack. What an innocuous way for Paul to get injured

Positives - finally, a bit of pace from an England bowler!
We might not actually need him for the Ashes.....the mid-80s swing and seam merchants will likely be as effective.....but we're sure as hell going to need that pace if we want to be competitive in South Africa next winter. So let's get Mark Wood into cotton wool asap.

Oh, and we might win this game.

Negatives - still can't find an opener. Jennings and Burns both averaging 25 now (after 16 and 6 Tests respectively, which is a fair sample size to be judged on). And needless to say, that's not enough. Desperately need to uncover some new talent at the top of the order......
Disagree up to a point.
I think a fully fit Wood could unsettle the Aussies and he's a variation on Broad and Anderson. They'll have three speed merchants.
I think Burns deserves more than 6 matches.
Until today he had the top score (83) for an England player in the series and after 2 tests only he and Bairstow had scored more than 100 runs in the series. Plus he hasn't played in a home test yet. He should get at least the first two this summer. Jennings though has had his chance. He won't improve. We need to find a new one but it's not easy. See how Gubbins and Salt go early season. Tests not until August.

I know it’s not really 1 for the winter thread but I wondered what people’s thoughts were on Duane Olivier signing a 3 year deal for Yorkshire as a Kolpak ruling him out of international cricket for South Africa for that time. I have never been a big fan of kolpak system as some counties like Hampshire overuse it on occasions but I think Yorkshire have become frustrated with losing players and this seems a hell of a signing for me.

I know it’s not really 1 for the winter thread but I wondered what people’s thoughts were on Duane Olivier signing a 3 year deal for Yorkshire as a Kolpak ruling him out of international cricket for South Africa for that time. I have never been a big fan of kolpak system as some counties like Hampshire overuse it on occasions but I think Yorkshire have become frustrated with losing players and this seems a hell of a signing for me.

It's great for Yorkshire - I think it's really sad for Test cricket in general.

The guy has had a good start to his Test career, and was already ranked in the ICC Top 20 Test bowlers. Now he's going to be spending three years in the absolute prime grinding his way between empty county championship grounds rather than challenging himself at the pinnacle of the sport.

Not that I'm blaming him - the way the game is at the moment, you can only make decent money as a Test cricketer if you're English, Australian or Indian. If you're from anywhere else, your best bet for a living is to mix county cricket with t20 over the English winter. It's just a sad state of affairs.

It's great for Yorkshire - I think it's really sad for Test cricket in general.

The guy has had a good start to his Test career, and was already ranked in the ICC Top 20 Test bowlers. Now he's going to be spending three years in the absolute prime grinding his way between empty county championship grounds rather than challenging himself at the pinnacle of the sport.

Not that I'm blaming him - the way the game is at the moment, you can only make decent money as a Test cricketer if you're English, Australian or Indian. If you're from anywhere else, your best bet for a living is to mix county cricket with t20 over the English winter. It's just a sad state of affairs.
Looking forward to watching him play. At least he will play in front of decent crowds at Scarborough and York plus the 2 roses matches in the Championship. Yorkshire are moving more championship games to the other venues for bigger crowds/ atmosphere. Scarborough is a minimum of 4-5000 each day. As of 2020 I believe they will also stage Championship games at Bradford Park Avenue and Abbeydale in Sheffield. Cut costs but have bigger crowds with odd Championship games at Headingley plus 50 over and T20 which always is a good atmosphere especially against Lancashire.

Looking forward to watching him play. At least he will play in front of decent crowds at Scarborough and York plus the 2 roses matches in the Championship. Yorkshire are moving more championship games to the other venues for bigger crowds/ atmosphere. Scarborough is a minimum of 4-5000 each day. As of 2020 I believe they will also stage Championship games at Bradford Park Avenue and Abbeydale in Sheffield. Cut costs but have bigger crowds with odd Championship games at Headingley plus 50 over and T20 which always is a good atmosphere especially against Lancashire.

And - keeping with the sad theme - that's probably a higher attendance than any Tests in South Africa will generate, other than New Years @ Cape Town. It's a wonderful sport, Test cricket, and it's tragic to see it slowly dying across the globe in favour of other, less complex forms of the game.

Course early April in Nottingham or Southampton, playing in 10C weather in front of three old men and a dog, Olivier may be questioning his choices a little more!

Wow.
England over 400.
Buttler and Morgan 100s. Roy didn't even play.
When on song England have a terrific one day batting line up.

418, and the most 6's scored in an ODI.

Blimey.

The World Cup might be fun!

Wow.
England over 400.
Buttler and Morgan 100s. Roy didn't even play.
When on song England have a terrific one day batting line up.

Which, frankly, is almost all of the time

What a tour Mark Wood has had as well.
Real pace can make a real difference

Buttler 150 off 77. That’s brutal.

Last edited:
It's a shame the flip side of the batting has been meh. Some great Windies batting, but some absolutely rotten filth bowled by England and some positively abject fielding to match. Probably cost them 20 runs. And Stokes has dropped a simple catch.

Feels like a Windies win here.

3 from 4 for Rashid. Windies have bottled this one. Have they been watching our performance away at Scunthorpe from earlier this season?

4 from 5 and that's it. LOL Windies

A mad match. Buttler obviously man of the match but on a batters day, Wood deserves great credit for finishing with 4-60.

Gayle is capable of almost winning games on his own.
We have a fantastic batting line up but we also have Wood and Rachid who have something different from the other bowlers in the side.

Mark Wood was my man of the match. For all of Buttler's excellence and Morgan's batting, the wickets he took slowed the Windies down at the right times and put pressure on them to rebuild.

I did laugh at the crowd that went from very loud to very quiet in 2 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom