The Winter Cricket thread

I agree, unless he is bowling in (very favourable) English conditions, I think Broad is reaching his use-by-date!
The West Indies WILL be different, but interestingly enough, they did say on commentary that the pitched there were actually quite similar (i.e. not quick, take spin etc) so we might well end up with a very similar spin-heavy team.

The commentators did say that Broad has worked on run up and action to make himself more durable. So that means he ain't goin nowhere any time soon.

A good point was made yesterday. After all the nonsense with Stokes last year, he's been a gym rat on this tour and has not been the distraction he may have been before.

I agree, unless he is bowling in (very favourable) English conditions, I think Broad is reaching his use-by-date!
The West Indies WILL be different, but interestingly enough, they did say on commentary that the pitched there were actually quite similar (i.e. not quick, take spin etc) so we might well end up with a very similar spin-heavy team.
I wonder WHY WI pitches gave gone from quick and bouncy to slower spinning ones?
That was one of the great tho us about going to the Caribbean.
England now have to target a win in the WIs. I was delighted to see England play the conditions in Sri Lanka. In the old days we may have said that our better bowlers are our seamers so that's what we will play even if they are spinning wickets.
Oh and getting Rachid out of red ball retirement and bringing back Buttler look like masterstroke by Ed Smith.

It's amazing what a talent like Jofra Archer does to rule makers....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46382499
Point taken, but the article does finish with "The changes bring the ECB closer to International Cricket Council regulations."
So it sounds as if the ECB are just doing what ever other country is!
Personally, I think the 'country-swapping' regulations in all sports should be tighter. What chance do the minor nations in any sport have if their best talent suddenly finds a great grandmother from a more successful country and decides to play for them instead?

Point taken, but the article does finish with "The changes bring the ECB closer to International Cricket Council regulations."
Personally, I think the 'country-swapping' regulations in all sports should be tighter. What chance do the minor nations in any sport have if their best talent suddenly finds a great grandmother from a more successful country and decides to play for them instead?
A strong West Indies is important for cricket, but just how is that going to happen if we take their best prospects?

Fair point. We’re really short on wicketkeepers. How’s the January window looking?

At some point, I’d like to see a team of 6 wks and 5 bowlers. Come to think of it, how many wks have bowled? I remember Dhoni doing it once.

A strong West Indies is important for cricket, but just how is that going to happen if we take their best prospects?
Agree.
It sounds though as if the WI board of control are a shambles and I believe that the players are paid poorly.
So maybe the whole problem runs a lot deeper

Agree.
It sounds though as if the WI board of control are a shambles and I believe that the players are paid poorly.
So maybe the whole problem runs a lot deeper
They have been a shambles for decades to be fair. Any cricket fans who haven't seen the film "Fire in babylon", find a copy and watch it NOW. Fantastic film about the rise of the West Indies.

They have been a shambles for decades to be fair. Any cricket fans who haven't seen the film "Fire in babylon", find a copy and watch it NOW. Fantastic film about the rise of the West Indies.

Can vouch for that film too - it’s brilliant. Watched it on a plane to New York for my Honeymoon in fact!

I wouldn't have posted but for the fact ECB made a big song and dance a few years ago making players from other countries qualify for a longer time to play for England to stop players flip flopping afte a few years in county cricket. It lasted as long as it took for Archer to make an impact. :D

T10 now?! What’s the world coming to, etc?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46404495

for the same individuals, with the attention span of a daffodil, what next? .... ten minute each way football matches?, one hole shoot out golf encounters? 5 game tennis clashes? 5 minute ice hockey match ups? ...... Please, please , please, keep that idiot Shaun Harvey away from T10 ideas n concepts , hes bad enough as it is with his mid competition rule changes, and metaphorically fellating prem club chairmen, to sweeten any deal (for them) in his S.H. I.T. competition

for the same individuals, with the attention span of a daffodil, what next? .... ten minute each way football matches?, one hole shoot out golf encounters? 5 game tennis clashes? 5 minute ice hockey match ups? ...... Please, please , please, keep that idiot Shaun Harvey away from T10 ideas n concepts , hes bad enough as it is with his mid competition rule changes, and metaphorically fellating prem club chairmen, to sweeten any deal (for them) in his S.H. I.T. competition
10 minutes each way? FFS man, who's got time for that? Straight to penalties, sudden death, then we can all get home in time for the boxing - first punch landed wins, naturally.

Back
Top Bottom