The Winter Cricket thread

Foakes reminds me of the Jack Russell sort of keeper where it's all very easy and you don't tend to notice them that much. Bairstow is good, but Foakes is next level.
We did drop Jack Russell for the lesser abilities of Alex Stewart quite often though, because of Stewart's batting. I fear this may become another example.

We did drop Jack Russell for the lesser abilities of Alex Stewart quite often though, because of Stewart's batting. I fear this may become another example.

That generally worked out pretty well though! Didn’t AleC Stewart end up opening the batting in 77 innings?

That generally worked out pretty well though! Didn’t AleC Stewart end up opening the batting in 77 innings?
It helped with shoring up the batting for sure, but Stewart's glovework was nowhere near that of Jack Russell. Foakes could miss out in a similar way.

It helped with shoring up the batting for sure, but Stewart's glovework was nowhere near that of Jack Russell. Foakes could miss out in a similar way.

Don't think so - the batting is stronger (openers, 3 aside) and has much more depth than it was in AS/JR erea. Foakes will be in long term, JB needs to grab his chance with the bat and make the number three his own.

Well Bairstow is on 68. It would be good to see him get a century.

Don't think so - the batting is stronger (openers, 3 aside) and has much more depth than it was in AS/JR erea. Foakes will be in long term, JB needs to grab his chance with the bat and make the number three his own.
He's certainly doing that at the moment

A big of a squiffy end to te day, but still a very positive one for England. Still need 50 or so more runs to make it on Sri Lanka on a good batting wicket. A good innings from Bairstow and a rather pointed celebration

Probably about an even day in the end. It's supposed to be a 400+ pitch if you are batting first, but 350 would be OK, given that our bowlers have generally been better than theirs so far.

A big of a squiffy end to te day, but still a very positive one for England. Still need 50 or so more runs to make it on Sri Lanka on a good batting wicket. A good innings from Bairstow and a rather pointed celebration
Bairstow is in the top 20 bats in test cricket. Today showed why he has to play. I would like 400 plus then let the spinners have a bowl.

Well I was on a plane back from India today (annoying, given the time zone!). Can’t argue with Bairstow at 3 right now!

Batting tail went chep, thankfully England bowling and fielding was on fire, Rashid and Jennings especially in respective disciplines.

Need to make the 2nd innings count

A mesmerising last session to watch today. An epic collapse by Sri Lanka, but Stokes just bowled so well that they didn't have it easy. Looking good to win 3-0 there now.

So we have set them 327 to win - should be beyond them really.

Mind you, Broad has just bowled an absolutely dreadful first over (after so far scoring 1 run in two innings and taking 0 wickets). If he bowls another one like that, I'd take him off and put him in the deep somewhere...

So we have set them 327 to win - should be beyond them really.

Mind you, Broad has just bowled an absolutely dreadful first over (after so far scoring 1 run in two innings and taking 0 wickets). If he bowls another one like that, I'd take him off and put him in the deep somewhere...
He redeemed himself a bit with that catch off Stokes bowling. Lets hope we can get the job done now.

Yes, a good catch. Not sure it justifies a test place on it's own, but Sri Lanka isn't really seamer territory I suppose. Stokes has managed to be a pest though :)

Hopefully will wake up tomorrow morning to news of a win.

SL 214-7 after a very good partnership. The 100 or so runs left should be too much. Right?

Yes - SL batsmen aren't disciplined enough - spinners need to bowl line and length and let the pitch do the rest

Yes, a good catch. Not sure it justifies a test place on it's own, but Sri Lanka isn't really seamer territory I suppose. Stokes has managed to be a pest though :)

Hopefully will wake up tomorrow morning to news of a win.
I did say 'redeemed himself a bit' His batting is getting steadily worse as well. Woakes when fit is the better option for me now.
Anyway, a good series win. Only two other sides have whitewashed them in their own backyard before. They have lost many of their world class players so were weaker than a couple of years back. But you have to beat what they can put out and we did that comfortably.
On to the Windies now. That'll be a bit different!!

Back
Top Bottom