The Winter Cricket thread

Well done indeed to the middle order - it sounds as if the openers and top order were trying to play it like a short form game, far too aggressive. (Disclaimer - I wasn't listening at 4.30am!) But 320 for 7 isn't too bad given that the Sri Lankans will have to bat 4th.

Well done indeed to the middle order - it sounds as if the openers and top order were trying to play it like a short form game, far too aggressive. (Disclaimer - I wasn't listening at 4.30am!) But 320 for 7 isn't too bad given that the Sri Lankans will have to bat 4th.
321-8 at the close.
Yes once again the middle/lower got us out of the brown stuff! Well done to Foakes, superb debut knock. Broad dropped! I would think Curran will take the new ball and hopefully there will be a bit of swing to start with. Not a bad day seeing as at one stage it didn't look like we would get 200.

I sometimes feel like England should open the batting with Anderson and Rashid, because lets face it, they cannot do any worse can they? I can't believe the coaches don't tell the batsmen to just bat. It's the same old dumb madness time and time again.

Well well. Foakes century then four of them down by lunchtime.
Some turn around from yesterday lunchtime.

I half worry he'll be ruined by the England coaching staff now he's played a test. Nice stumping from him just now!

A lead of 139 after the first innings. With that and the usual way this pitch plays in fourth innings, you'd think we are firmly in the driving seat here.

I half worry he'll be ruined by the England coaching staff now he's played a test. Nice stumping from him just now!

Also not clear that he’s going to get many games once Bairstow is fit again.

Also not clear that he’s going to get many games once Bairstow is fit again.
They weren't so sure of that on the TV commentary. The opinion was that he (Foakes) was actually the better keeper and that Bairstow - and Buttler - might have to battle to get into the team as batsman primarily. Personally I think that's a bit premature - one good innings and a sharp stumping doesn't make a summer (as it were) and he has been playing in SL so the batting would be a little more familiar to him, but unless he does anything calamitous in the rest of the match it would be pretty hard to drop him for the next one.

There has been talk of Bairstow opening the batting in place of Jennings. But Bairstow is sensitive to the keeper in tests and batting high.
Foakes did a really nice job though.

It's a nice problem to have.

There has been talk of Bairstow opening the batting in place of Jennings. But Bairstow is sensitive to the keeper in tests and batting high.
Foakes did a really nice job though.

It's a nice problem to have.
Bairstow opened once for Yorkshire last season against Essex in the 2nd innings with them having been bowled out for 50 in the first innings. He got a very rapid 50 and helped take all the impetus away from Essex and Yorkshire eventually won by 90 odd., I think it might be something England have to try due to having a lot of decent keeper batsmen and poor openers at present.

Bairstow is not good enough against the moving new ball to open (but then, he's in good company there).
That said, you can't drop the better keeper in Foakes when he's just scored an important hundred.
It's either Bairstow or Buttler for me, and there's no contest here at present.

Bairstow is not good enough against the moving new ball to open (but then, he's in good company there).
That said, you can't drop the better keeper in Foakes when he's just scored an important hundred.
It's either Bairstow or Buttler for me, and there's no contest here at present.
I know what you mean against the new ball although he has been a bit better at being patient lately but if it’s him or Butler then Bairstows record in tests is better. It’s a weird and surprisingly regular thing how an injury completely irrelevant to the sport someone does can hamper their progress.

Bairstow with his 1 day technique, no thanks on opening. He's moved his front leg out of the way and is prime for bowled now. Does he have the talent to do it? Yeah

A very good win. If the wicket looks similar for the next game pick the same side. Bairstow should have to wait but I fear they'll drop Burns to bring him in. We need to build for the Ashes so we need settled openers. I don't see Bairstow being suitable to face the Aussie pace men on our wickets. Even though he scored big Jennings still doesn't convince me. Would like him to prove me wrong!

A very good win. If the wicket looks similar for the next game pick the same side. Bairstow should have to wait but I fear they'll drop Burns to bring him in. We need to build for the Ashes so we need settled openers. I don't see Bairstow being suitable to face the Aussie pace men on our wickets. Even though he scored big Jennings still doesn't convince me. Would like him to prove me wrong!
Absolutely right, Opening batsmen , proper TEST MATCH openers are a must ...especially with the Ashes in mind

One day openers and 20/20 openers . to state the obvious, are different, much different to what is required at the purest form of International cricket

Surely the can't drop Burns after one Test?
Who do they play at 3 though?
They could keep it exactly the same or move Root to 3 and Butler to 4?

Considering how many chances Jennings has had... But England had 2 tons and looked a far better team as a consequence. The spinners all bowled well and even Anderson got some reverse swing. 1 win doesn't make a winter, but things are looking good.

Back
Top Bottom