General The ‘U’s’....

yellowbow

Listening to Jack Fm on the radio at work this morning I was impressed with the level of promotion from the club on there. There was an advert regarding the festive package offer, and one of the competitions included match day tickets. However, the DJs kept referring- obviously correctly to the team as They U’s’ and I couldn’t help thinking what a crap nickname we have. Does anybody know where it originated from and by whom? Also, with us, hopefully, at the dawn of an exciting new era under our forward thinking board, involving re-branding and fingers crossed a new home, is it time for a rethink on it? Do people have any possible ideas on what a new name could be and do they even think a nickname is that important to a club’s identity anyway?

Listening to Jack Fm on the radio at work this morning I was impressed with the level of promotion from the club on there. There was an advert regarding the festive package offer, and one of the competitions included match day tickets. However, the DJs kept referring- obviously correctly to the team as They U’s’ and I couldn’t help thinking what a crap nickname we have. Does anybody know where it originated from and by whom? Also, with us, hopefully, at the dawn of an exciting new era under our forward thinking board, involving re-branding and fingers crossed a new home, is it time for a rethink on it? Do people have any possible ideas on what a new name could be and do they even think a nickname is that important to a club’s identity anyway?
Did you see at Hayes and Yeading? There was a fan who had obviously had a few and was ranting away about how he was a proper fan in the 1980s and the nickname should be back to what it was.

Its always been The U's ..... origin being, I believe, way back in the Headington United era ... The U's being an abbreviation of United

At some point in the 70s maybe early 80s, there was an abortive attempt to change from The U's to The Dons , ( with an undergraduate in gown and mortar board hat proposed as the 'new' club badge too!!! or something along those lines... If memory serves? ) Both the s**t, then new, proposed nickname and club badge were quickly kicked into touch

If it aint broke there is no need to fix it ... OUFC (& HUFC)have always been the U's , and IMO should always be the U's

As the old fellas used to shout back at the Manor , Win or lose, Up the U's ;)

What would happen to our chant?
Knock knock.
Who's there?
Owen.
Owen who?
O when the U's go marching in ...

Come to think of it I haven't heard it lately.

I think it is ...though cant remember which one
Me neither, but then I've only 1 on vinyl (weather diaries) the rest are CDs. In fact, as I'm sat next to the turntable, I'll go for a bit of Ride before heading back to the office ?

Back
Top Bottom