General The Slum Landlord - Mr Kassam

Slightly lazy ‘listicle’ writing from the Graun, but then again every news outlet does it nowadays.

I have conflicted views regarding the KasStad. In terms of stadium design, it looked dated by the time it was finished. You don’t need so much space between pitch and stand and in a three-stand stadium the atmosphere that is generated is even more easily lost because of it. The concrete breezeblocks exacerbate the half-finishedness of the stadium, the parking situation is awful, buses trudge a weary 40-45 minute route back to town, pubs are non-existent and the rental situation sees it as a financial millstone around our necks.

But, the move had to happen and to some extent I do embrace the positives with it. The Manor was home but out of place in the evolving world of football. Viewing the action is better at the Kassam, attendances are good and the atmosphere is family friendly which allows us to appeal to people who maybe would not have made trips to The Manor. Away fans are at least under cover although I don’t think many of them see Oxford as a particularly desirable away trip much of the time. That said, Swindon have never so much scored a goal at the Kassam let alone won there. A fourth stand would certainly improve it and one day that may well happen.

For all the talk of a new ground, I don’t see it happening inside the next 10 years and possibly even longer so we’re going to have to make do with it.
It’s no longer in our gift to “make do with it”.
We have until June 2026 there and then it’s over.
SODC and Kassam want to build houses on the site.
Even if that changed, it could only be on the basis of Kassam selling the stadium to the club for a sensible sum which is as likely as pigs flying.

It’s no longer in our gift to “make do with it”.
We have until June 2026 there and then it’s over.
Even if that changed, it could only be on the basis of Kassam selling the stadium to the club for a sensible sum which is as likely as pigs flying.

I did write that comment in 2020, to be fair. A lot has happened since then!

Kassam is even more odious than I thought. It looks like he is implying that we don’t need to move as we can easily rent from him. The councillors opposed to our move to Kidlington will now have more ammunition against the club. Kassam is obviously trying to get the move delayed so he can generously collect rent from Oxford United. I think he is a devious scallywag who will do anything to get more money. As they say leopards don’t change their spots.

Mischief making from FK. When has he ever been true to his word? FoSB don’t realise it yet but they are being manipulated just as everyone else has, including the club for the last 20 odd years

Mischief making from FK. When has he ever been true to his word? FoSB don’t realise it yet but they are being manipulated just as everyone else has, including the club for the last 20 odd years

I don't think EoSB care if they are being manipulated or not in this instance.

Point of order. The stadium is within Oxford City Council's jurisdiction - and they absolutely definitely want land for housing. The Minchery Farm site is probably one of the last, if not the last, substantial area of land within the city boundaries that could become available for development.

Should the proposed Science Village development south of Grenoble Road ever get off the drawing board, the 3,000+ houses will dilute the need for (and the value of) the site for development. I would assume that FK would want to conclude our exit at the earliest opportunity....

As long as Kassam doesn't go near where the actual 6 members of FOSB live they wouldn't care what he does elsewhere or to whom, they have no morals, no souls, just a not in my backyard mindset.

Isn’t this a non story bulked up to look like a story?

Club owners can’t afford for us to stay at the current stadium(?) and therefore it’s not an option to stay……even if firoka says they can stay and they haven’t discussed it.

The terms of rent are not going to improve for the club. He’s told them how much it would cost to buy the dump…….. mischief making by the ox mail and those opposed to the new stadium.

In this instance I don’t actually blame the landlord.

Is anyone going to say FK is wrong it what he’s been quoted about the clubs departure?
I’m sure the owners have enough clout if he’s wrong in what he said.

Thank you Uncle Firoz. I am delighted and relieved that we can stay at the Kassam. I was getting very stressed at having to change my matchday ritual of a few pints in the Priory before taking my seat in the luxurious West Stand. Big weight off my mind 😉

Thank you Uncle Firoz. I am delighted and relieved that we can stay at the Kassam. I was getting very stressed at having to change my matchday ritual of a few pints in the Priory before taking my seat in the luxurious West Stand. Big weight off my mind 😉
I think you'll find it's either the Priory and Question Mark or the Priory And?

Back
Top Bottom