The Run Ins

ttg17

I thought having a visual representation of the run ins of the teams currently below 50 points and not already relegated (sorry Bury and Northampton) might be helpful to give us an idea of what those around us are up against in the last 4 weeks of the season. Matches against other relegation scrappers in bold.

OUFC
Sat 14/4: Southend (H)
Tue 17/4: Wigan (A)
Sat 21/4: Doncaster (A)
Sat 28/4: Rochdale (H)
Sat 5/5: Blackburn (A)

Walsall
Wed 11/4: Oldham (A)
Sat 14/4: Wimbledon (H)

Sat 21/4: Scunthorpe (A)
Sat 28/4: Northampton (H)
Tue 1/5: Bradford (A)
Sat 5/5: Fleetwood (A)

Wimbledon
Sat 14/4: Walsall (A)
Sat 21/4: Oldham (H)

Sat 28/4: Wigan (A)
Tue 1/5: Doncaster (A)
Sat 5/5: Bury (H)

Oldham
Wed 11/4: Walsall (H)
Sat 14/4: Gillingham (H)
Tue 17/4: Rochdale (A)
Sat 21/4: Wimbledon (A)

Tue 24/4: Southend (H)
Sat 28/4: Doncaster (H)
Sat 5/5: Northampton (A)

Rochdale
Sat 14/4: Peterborough (A)
Tue 17/4: Oldham (H)
Sat 21/4: Bradford (H)
Tue 24/4: Plymouth (A)
Sat 28/4: OUFC (A)
Sat 5/5: Charlton (H)

MK
Sat 14/4: Doncaster (H)
Sat 21/4: Southend (A)
Tue 24/4: Bradford (A)
Sat 28/4: Scunthorpe (H)
Sat 5/5: Shrewsbury (A)

Looking at that I think Oldham are probably down. Their fate is in their hands to an extent, with three 'six pointers', but playing twice a week until the end of the season I think is going to take its toll. That said, Northampton at home on the last day looks to be a gimme. As does Wimbledon finishing at home to Bury. Walsall also play Northampton at home, and follow that up with a trip to Bradford, who are in absolute free fall. I think they might well survive.

It's looking very tight.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: Ian
I thought having a visual representation of the run ins of the teams currently below 50 points and not already relegated (sorry Bury and Northampton) might be helpful to give us an idea of what those around us are up against in the last 4 weeks of the season. Matches against other relegation scrappers in bold.

OUFC

Walsall

Wimbledon

Oldham
Wed 11/4: Oldham (H)

Rochdale

MK

Looking at that I think Oldham are probably down. Their fate is in their hands to an extent, with three 'six pointers', but playing twice a week until the end of the season I think is going to take its toll. That said, Northampton at home on the last day looks to be a gimme. As does Wimbledon finishing at home to Bury. Walsall also play Northampton at home, and follow that up with a trip to Bradford, who are in absolute free fall. I think they might well survive.

It's looking very tight.

Oldham might win their first game of that lot, in fact I’ll put my house on it ?

OUFC

Walsall

Wimbledon

Oldham
Wed 11/4: Walsall (H)

Rochdale

MK

It's looking very tight.

I wouldn’t count on Oldham getting relegated. Every year they look down at some point and 20 years later they’re still here!

Far too many United fans are reckoning without our 7-0 win at the JJB next week.

Can barely score a goal just now, curse of the Player-of-the-Month....y'all know it's gonna happen.

Walsall 7 more points =54

Wimbledon 7 more points = 53

Oldham 9 more points = 53

Rochdale 10 more points = 52

Mk Dons 5 more points 47

my take for whats its worth

Us 5 more points = 52
Walsall 4 more points = 51
Wimbledon 5 more points = 51
Oldham 10 more points = 54
Rochdale 6 more points = 48
MK Mongs 2 more points = 44

Very tight but everything crossed

Think this keeps me on the positive bus COYY

i had Rochdale winning their 3 home games and a point at 1 of their away games (possibly us)

My prediction:

Us - +4 = 51
Walsall - +7 = 54
Wimbledon - +6 = 52
Oldham - +6 = 50
Rochdale - +4 = 46 points
MK Dons - +2 = 45 points
Northampton - +2 = 42
Bury - already gone

So I have us finishing 2 places outside the relagation zone. Wishful thinking? Hopefully not!

Thanks for laying it out. Although it's freaking me out. It's going to be two out of MK Dons, us and Rochdale. Too many games against mid-table coasters or already-relegated Bury or Northampton for the other sides.

I really hope I have to take this back on Saturday night.

The main problem I think is that no other team seems to be as unlikely to get surprising results as us. Look at Wimbledon last night and Saturday (last minute goal aside), and Rochdale with Shrewsbury a couple weeks ago. I think the only games we can bank on other teams not getting anything from are Blackburn and Wigan games.

Also, while it may seem good that a lot of teams below us play each other and therefore at least one of the mis guaranteed to drop points, the obvious flip side is that in each one of those matches, at least one team is guaranteed to pick up at least a point (tonight's game being a prime example). I think in a way we basically need to pick two teams (perhaps MK and Oldham) and just become huge fans of whichever team they're playing on the day and hope they pick up 0 more points - even if that means other teams jump above us in the table.

Oldham will stay up but they could do us a favour by beating Walsall, Wimbledon, Rochdale and Northampton.

This threads giving me a massive headache.. I just wish we could get all the games over in consecutive days. It’s all the waiting in between games that’s the killer. It feels like death from a thousand cuts

To be brutally frank, 9 points from a possible 42 is a recipe for relegation and I am surprised we are not in the bottom three. However, we have points in the bank with games running out. I would rather be looking down rather than up. Pressure cooker atmosphere Saturday, just as it should be. Three points.................home and dry.

Looking at the remaining fixtures, even if we lose our last 3 games I think we will be safe, just.
And, at the moment we have a better goal difference than all the teams below us.

Roachdale have on paper the hardest run in on their remaining games, over other teams, just can't see them getting out of the bottom four,
but it will very close though :cautious:

The final table might be this, but I hope we draw or win some of our last games to boost our points tally

19 Oxford United 50
20 Oldham Athletic 50
--------------------------------------
21 Rochdale AFC 49
22 Northampton Town 44
23 Milton Keynes Dons 43
24 Bury FC 31

copied and edit for remaining games in current league order.

OUFC 50

Wimbledon 49

Walsall 48

Oldham 47
-----------------------------------------
Rochdale 46

Northampton 43
Sat 21/4: Plymouth (H)
Sat 28/4: Walsall (A)
Sat 5/5: Oldham (H)

MK 42

A bit of a long shot, but Gillingham are not completely safe yet.

They lost last night at home to Rotherham, just 3 points from their last 6 games and are currently on 52 points with 3 games left against Blackpool, Bristol Rovers & Plymouth.

Back
Top Bottom