The real living wage.

Anthomic

Apparently only four premiership clubs have signed up to pay the "Real living wage". When you think of the obscene money that they pay players to kick a ball around a field and yet are not prepared to pay a real living wage to someone doing a proper job ,this is a disgrace.

The players are the "product/merchandise/sponsorship" and create the income ........... not Doris in the office who makes the tea.

Doris in the office gets a salary commensurate with her position. If she doesn`t like it..... get another job. Why reward lack of ambition or drive?

So only the players create the income ? Like all businesses, without the Dorises or the Stevens, the business would ground to a halt.

See above..... they pay the "going rate".............its how they make millions in profit.....

Forget who adds more to the 'value' of a Premiership club. How about paying the tea lady a decent wage just because it's the right thing to do and the clubs can easily afford it?

Its business. They are there to maximise profit....... the working mans game was sucked into the vacuum of "squeeze as much out as we can" a long long time ago.

How much do "we" think the catering staff at the Kassam get paid? The cleaners etc etc etc....................... the game was screwed as soon as SKY appeared on the scene. Got a SKY subscription? YOU are funding it! Hypocrisy at its finest.

Rather judgemental. Maybe there are many reasons Doris can’t ‘get on her bike’ a la Tebbitt. Maybe her options are restricted by low intelligence (not her fault), lack of education or training, a need to look after children or sick relatives? To suggest she lacks ambition or drive might be a tad unpleasant, don’t you think?

We're not talking about giving Doris a massive salary here, just enough income to stave off poverty.

Doris gets paid what her employers think she is worth. As do hundreds, if not thousands of other employees.
State intervention (irrespective of the business) says she must get NM/NL Wage.
A change to the "Real Living Wage" from NM/NL wage is roughly 80p an hour.

Trouble is if you boost the bottom tier you then need to continue the push up the organisation.......... Doris gets 10% a week rise, then so does Doris`s boss.... and so it goes on. :)

Doris gets paid what her employers think she is worth. As do hundreds, if not thousands of other employees.
State intervention (irrespective of the business) says she must get NM/NL Wage.
A change to the "Real Living Wage" from NM/NL wage is roughly 80p an hour.

Trouble is if you boost the bottom tier you then need to continue the push up the organisation.......... Doris gets 10% a week rise, then so does Doris`s boss.... and so it goes on. :)
So you are saying that if the tea lady gets a 10% rise so that she has enough to live on,overpaid players on mega millions a year must also get a 10% rise. What planet do you live on? And before you insult the intelligence of tea lady's again I am sure that there are many out there that are far more intelligent than many .footballers, at the end of the day they can only kick a ball around a field and many of them are not very good at that.

I agree that the greedy Premiership Clubs have no excuse as to why they can't play the living wage.
Do we know which four clubs have signed up to it?
And in response to somebodies argument, far from all businesses pay the minimum they can get away with.

Yeh, we all know that football is a mega-business now, and every club in the Premiership is rolling in volumes of money that were unimaginable 30 years ago.

But let's say Club X has 500 employees earning below a living wage. (Made up number of employees but probably over-stated). To give each employee an extra £1.00 per hour would cost that club £1 million per annum. If the club's that concerned about its costs, they could always knock a £1,000 per week off the salary of 20 of their footballers to balance the books. I'm sure the little loves would survive and be pleased to help the Dorises live to a decent standard.

You can`t reduce someones salary without creating a lot of issues. Do we not think that the players and their agents give a fig about "Doris" when they are negotiating their contracts? "Do you pay the National Living Wage" isn`t very high up the list of questions at a guess.

Its a strange irony that the chap from Persimmon has been asked to leave for making the business successful and earning a £75 million bonus.... sacked for "doing your job" or sacked because "people think its too much" ??

A £75 million bonus? The most ridiculous thing I have heard for a while. Who ever allowed that to be in his contract ought to be sacked, not the chap himself.

Maybe he could have put a couple of million back into the business to pay for the living wage for his workers?

Problem with Fairburn was that they signed up to the share deal in 2012 at a much lower price.......... then he was successful and doubled the value.
I doubt he`ll lose much sleep and will, probably, walk into another similar role.

As for Premier League Clubs "doing the right thing" the reality is they think they are.............. profit at all costs.

If Doris needs £300 a week and Julia from Eastern Europe will do the job for £250 then its bye bye Doris.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Didn`t mither about it,or blame anyone else its just business.
:)

Believe it or not I`m fairly altruistic as well.... yes...really!
What I don`t tolerate well is folk who think others should get a "leg up" just because they are less fortunate.
I have utmost admiration for those who achieve great things irrespective of their poor start in life.
However, not everyone can be at the top & somebody always has to be at the bottom..... that`s how life is.

I concur with the idea................ it won`t happen is the reality. :)

I just don't think paying a person a living wage is giving them a 'leg up', it's making their lives tolerable.

I think we ultimately think similarly. I don't support positive discrimination, for example, that gives people a better chance of acquiring job X simply because of their gender or religion or ethnic background, and with little consideration of their skills and abilities.

If a small business can only afford to pay a Doris the bare minimum wage, that seems fair and reasonable. For Premier League club X to do likewise, rather than pay a living wage, seems inexcusable, not to mention the reputational damage it might do them if they're named and shamed.
watch this. It's not just about gender, religion, ethnicity. But does go some way to show the meaning of 'privilege'. I'm sure someone will come along and say how they didn't have all of those advantages either, but I reckon most of us posting on here will be near the front of this race.

watch this. It's not just about gender, religion, ethnicity. But does go some way to show the meaning of 'privilege'. I'm sure someone will come along and say how they didn't have all of those advantages either, but I reckon most of us posting on here will be near the front of this race.

Wouldn't say I'd be near the front but certainly not near the back. Does make you stop and look at things differently though.

I would say that if that guy did that 50 or 60 years ago the haves and the haves not would of been a lot clearer, probably to the extent of there not being a lot in the middle.

If you used that concept to football teams it would be totally different to how live is now. The football teams of today would be the people of a generation ago. The haves and the have not.

Back
Top Bottom