The real living wage.

Not very. One of many reasons I moved!

However, OUH have 950 accommodation units to rent at 20% below market price. Quick check shows a basic room rental of £477 a month, from a minimum net salary of £1585 ..... leaves £250+ a week to live on. Not great but not poverty & food banks either...... but NHS pay is a whole new topic!

Why do people have "no choice but to work zero hours"?

On the nurses for full balance:

https://fullfact.org/economy/how-many-nurses-are-using-foodbanks/

On the last question, because that is the only type of job they can get for any myriad reasons (education, caring for family members as well, limited job opportunities in an area etc etc).

Unfortunately the way society & life "works" is that someone will be at the bottom of the pile. (Doris!)
Paying them more will not fix that, it will just inflate the economy and they will "stand still".

From an NHS view "we" have all got a 4% rise spread over a shorter time frame so the economic "tap" is gradually being turned on despite all the other turmoil, but it is a fine balancing act.

But due to the financial crash of 2008 Doris and her friends have been punished while richer folk who hold assets, property, bonds and stocks have seen their wealth sky rocket due to 0% interest rates and global govts quantitative easing, printing money...gap between rich and poor now at all time high...last time this happened was 1930s. Leading to the rise in populist leaders. Aka 2016 onwards...Doris needs to feel she is being treated with respect and fairness. If not Doris will bite back and hard.

How far do you think £23k goes in Oxford? And nurses are going to the food bank as it has been covered in various media reports.

Some people have no choice unfortunately but to work zero hours contracts, it isn't a lifestyle choice.
It would go further in surrounding towns and villages around Oxford though.

If you've grown up in Oxford it must be crap to have to move away because it's too expensive but you could earn 50k and still be outpriced in Oxford. It's an expensive city.

It would go further in surrounding towns and villages around Oxford though.

If you've grown up in Oxford it must be crap to have to move away because it's too expensive but you could earn 50k and still be outpriced in Oxford. It's an expensive city.

It will go further in terms of rent etc but then you have to add in additional transport costs.

One nurse I spoke to recently found it cheaper to rent in London and commute to Oxford for work!

It will go further in terms of rent etc but then you have to add in additional transport costs.

One nurse I spoke to recently found it cheaper to rent in London and commute to Oxford for work!

I really have a lot of sympathy with people's struggles but reading that last paragraph makes me think that's just an appalling financial decision.

I really have a lot of sympathy with people's struggles but reading that last paragraph makes me think that's just an appalling financial decision.

I don't disagree on that particular situation but she took the job ahead of moving as she wanted out of London. She was planning to look elsewhere but didn't want to do it too soon after taking this job. I don't think she will last a year working in Oxford tbh.

I don't disagree on that particular situation but she took the job ahead of moving as she wanted out of London. She was planning to look elsewhere but didn't want to do it too soon after taking this job. I don't think she will last a year working in Oxford tbh.
Yeah obviously that is not common situation. If she hasn't already maybe she could have a look at places like Bicester and Banbury.

Substantially cheaper than London or Oxford and good train links. For example it's a fiver for a return from Bicester Village to Oxford. The buses into the city are decent too.

Yeah obviously that is not common situation. If she hasn't already maybe she could have a look at places like Bicester and Banbury.

Substantially cheaper than London or Oxford and good train links. For example it's a fiver for a return from Bicester Village to Oxford. The buses into the city are decent too.

...or maybe somewhere in the vicinity of Aylesbury or High Wycombe? in the main, both are cheaper than Oxford if renting

Back
Top Bottom