The real living wage.

Those that do subscribe are funding the issue. If people were that concerned then there would be thousands of cancellations......... but there aren`t. Why? People don`t care, or those that do are in a very small, ineffective minority.

What has Doris done to make you hate her so?

So how many folk expressing outrage on here subscribe to Sky.......
Can’t see any link between Sky money,or any other income stream and the issue being discussed.
NLW is a government initiative to reduce the level of benefits, by encouraging employers to pay a rate higher than the NMW.
It has had some success and should be applauded.
Over time more companies will come on board, many because they feel it is morally right to do so.
As Momentum increases,others will be shamed into paying the rate.
I suspect this will happen with PL clubs.
One issue -Would suspect many workers at games are NOT directly employed by the clubs-pressure will no doubt be brought to bear on those employers.

I would be surprised if many staff at games are directly employed by the Club.
Looking at OUFC the stewards are out-sourced agency.
The catering staff are employed by the catering company.
Bar staff? Firoka?
Folk in suits doing the meet & greet for the posh seats/exec might be the only club employees not on the pitch on a match day?

I`ll take a wild guess that all the contract companies pitch cheap to get the gig & then pay the proverbial peanuts and become a revenue stream for the club...just like Sky et al.
The days of any connection between the employees, supporters and owners are long gone unless you are very,very lucky to get a good philanthropic owner.

She's poor and probably votes Labour!;)
That about sums it up

"Poor" is purely relative in the UK, too many people define poverty against things people have or want rather than need.
The second part is blatant stupidity.

:):)

Bar staff? Firoka?
Folk in suits doing the meet & greet for the posh seats/exec might be the only club employees not on the pitch on a match day?

I`ll take a wild guess that all the contract companies pitch cheap to get the gig & then pay the proverbial peanuts and become a revenue stream for the club...just like Sky et al.
The days of any connection between the employees, supporters and owners are long gone unless you are very,very lucky to get a good philanthropic owner.

Astute overview that

'Poor' is all of us (never mind Doris) compared to Prem footballers?

From the BBC (26/11/18):

"Manchester City may have won the Premier League last season, but they come in behind Manchester United this term on wages with the Old Trafford club paying an average of £6,534,654 per year to first-team players. City's yearly bill comes in at £5,993,000, followed by Chelsea (£5,020,004), Liverpool (£4,862,963), Arsenal (£4,853,130) and Tottenham (£3,515,778)."

When you see those (frankly ridiculous for playing football) figures, not only do you see the huge gulf between the 'top' clubs and the rest of the normal footballing world, you do have to wonder if paying 'Doris' a couple of quid more per hour would even be noticed?

I stick by my fervent desire that the whole overblown edifice collapses under the weight of it's own arrogance.

Implement living wage, cost of employing Doris to make the tea goes up.
You then either increase the cost of Doris`s product to cover the additional cost (Customer pays ...but feels better for Doris) or take the hit on the % profit and no business will do that.
Lets say Doris gains a £1.50 an hour increase in salary, then Doris`s boss wants the same % and and so on.
The cost of output has gone up, the salaries have gone up .............. its how inflation works.
If inflation is low, salary increases are sensible then costs remain stable. Doris lives within her means or improves her "lot" by bettering her career.
Remember there is always someone/thing at the bottom of a foodchain and that thing is normally numerous.

5 million kids living "in poverty" are only doing so because their parents shouldn`t have what they can`t afford. :)

Implement living wage, cost of employing Doris to make the tea goes up.
You then either increase the cost of Doris`s product to cover the additional cost (Customer pays ...but feels better for Doris) or take the hit on the % profit and no business will do that.
Lets say Doris gains a £1.50 an hour increase in salary, then Doris`s boss wants the same % and and so on.
The cost of output has gone up, the salaries have gone up .............. its how inflation works.
If inflation is low, salary increases are sensible then costs remain stable. Doris lives within her means or improves her "lot" by bettering her career.
Remember there is always someone/thing at the bottom of a foodchain and that thing is normally numerous.

5 million kids living "in poverty" are only doing so because their parents shouldn`t have what they can`t afford. :)

Yep those working people who still have to go food banks are clearly having a party and throwing their money about. Nevermind those that are on Universal Credit and work, and if they are lucky enough that it doesn't screw them up, are having their wages subsidised by the state so the employer doesn't have to pay a living wage.

Last edited:
Problem with Fairburn was that they signed up to the share deal in 2012 at a much lower price.......... then he was successful and doubled the value.
I doubt he`ll lose much sleep and will, probably, walk into another similar role.

As for Premier League Clubs "doing the right thing" the reality is they think they are.............. profit at all costs.

If Doris needs £300 a week and Julia from Eastern Europe will do the job for £250 then its bye bye Doris.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Didn`t mither about it,or blame anyone else its just business.
:)
Until Doris and her 17.3 million friends vote brexit to P**s on your capitalist bonfire. Bye bye. I cant wait until JC is in number 10.

Bar staff? Firoka?

Meet and Greet folk are match day volunteers.

Yep those working people who still have to go food banks are clearly having a party and throwing their money about. Nevermind those that are on Universal Credit and work, and if they are lucky enough that it doesn't screw them up, are having their wages subsidised by the state so the employer doesn't have to pay a living wage.

Working people using foodbanks...........ask yourself why? Its very simple & a lesson not taught at school.................... Live within your means.
Foodbanks aren`t "new" Trussell have been running for 20+ years so every shade of Government has messed up.

Working people using foodbanks...........ask yourself why? Its very simple & a lesson not taught at school.................... Live within your means.
Foodbanks aren`t "new" Trussell have been running for 20+ years so every shade of Government has messed up.

Yep, those nurses who are using food banks doing it for a right laugh. Those people on Universal Credit and work zero hours contract jobs are really living it up and taking the p1ss.

I never said food banks were new, but the usage has increased significantly and with more working people. But there is no doubt businesses not paying a living wage are likely having their wages indirectly subsidised by the Govt.

Yep, those nurses who are using food banks doing it for a right laugh. Those people on Universal Credit and work zero hours contract jobs are really living it up and taking the p1ss.

I never said food banks were new, but the usage has increased significantly and with more working people. But there is no doubt businesses not paying a living wage are likely having their wages indirectly subsidised by the Govt.

Those nurses who are on way above the living wage............ starting salary Band 5 £23,023 upwards through to £30,615 in 4 years under the new pay structure?
People choose to work zero hours as it "suits their lifestyle"....... maybe the lifestyle is wrong?

I accept UC has its flaws and difficulties in implementation but its replacing a very complex system(s)...... and there should be a method of "best interest" when the system knows that the Client will P**s the money up the wall rather than pay the rent the rent should be paid directly.
Sadly the different elements of the public sector don`t talk to each other that well!

Those nurses who are on way above the living wage............ starting salary Band 5 £23,023 upwards through to £30,615 in 4 years under the new pay structure?
People choose to work zero hours as it "suits their lifestyle"....... maybe the lifestyle is wrong?

I accept UC has its flaws and difficulties in implementation but its replacing a very complex system(s)...... and there should be a method of "best interest" when the system knows that the Client will P**s the money up the wall rather than pay the rent the rent should be paid directly.
Sadly the different elements of the public sector don`t talk to each other that well!

How far do you think £23k goes in Oxford? And nurses are going to the food bank as it has been covered in various media reports.

Some people have no choice unfortunately but to work zero hours contracts, it isn't a lifestyle choice.

How far do you think £23k goes in Oxford? And nurses are going to the food bank as it has been covered in various media reports.

Some people have no choice unfortunately but to work zero hours contracts, it isn't a lifestyle choice.

Not very. One of many reasons I moved!

However, OUH have 950 accommodation units to rent at 20% below market price. Quick check shows a basic room rental of £477 a month, from a minimum net salary of £1585 ..... leaves £250+ a week to live on. Not great but not poverty & food banks either...... but NHS pay is a whole new topic!

Why do people have "no choice but to work zero hours"?

Back
Top Bottom