National News ....the public gets what the public wants?

What are nhs pensions like these days? Are they index linked final salary?
I wish!
Pay re-structuring and the 2015 pension scheme change, and the move to reduce unsocial hours pay has made a lot of difference. In the ambulance service retirement age has moved with the national age despite it being proven that we suffer the greatest number of back injuries amongst any public services and particularly among the emergency services.
The increments talked about were not so much a "pay rise" as more a step towards a salary in line with the position held. Recent changes have improved that stepped salary but, pay is still low for the majority of NHS employees and has lagged behind inflation for several years now.
I'm just about out of the NHS and would not consider going back. Too much stress and a constant fight against under funding. (As a Unison rep I saw, first hand, a lot more that I cannot go into)

What are nhs pensions like these days? Are they index linked final salary?

Depends which scheme you are in 1995/2008 (they are treated as one with slight changes) or 2015.

For those lucky enough to have joined (and remained in) the 1995/2008 scheme....
  • a pension linked to pay and length of membership (benefits are fully guaranteed and will increase each year to keep in line with inflation)
  • immediate life assurance of twice the annual pay from the first day of joining (usually a tax free lump sum)
  • pension and allowances for a spouse, civil partner, qualifying unmarried partner, and dependent children upon death
  • a tax free lump sum (optional in the case of members of the 2008 section)
  • voluntary early retirement (restrictions apply) from age 50 (1995 section) or 55 (2008 section) (members will receive a reduced pension because the pension will be paid earlier and for longer).
Your annual pension is equal to one-eightieth of your final pensionable pay for each year and part year of Scheme membership.

Back
Top Bottom