The Priory

Don't tell him your name Saddletramp! o_O

Last edited:
Back in the 70s, it used to be Minchery Farm Country Club and had an annex that held Monday and Friday night discos which us local youth used to attend. Sure there are a few on here who used to attend.
Back in the 70s, it used to be Minchery Farm Country Club and had an annex that held Monday and Friday night discos which us local youth used to attend. Sure there are a few on here who used to attend.

Yep spent many a good evening there, twisting the night away

Assume we'll find out if Oxford City Council have teeth, and for that matter B*****s, or not, following today's City Council meeting regarding the Priory leaseholder failing to comply with planning permission requirements before building his Hotel next to the Priory?

The grade 2 listed Priory was supposed to have been made fit for purpose before ANY work started on the Hotel, which has been open for some time now, yet the Priory leaseholder has treated that requirement with total disdain, instead, he has allowed the Grade 2 building to continue to deteriorate

Assume we'll find out if Oxford City Council have teeth, and for that matter B*****s, or not, following today's City Council meeting regarding the Priory leaseholder failing to comply with planning permission requirements before building his Hotel next to the Priory?

The grade 2 listed Priory was supposed to have been made fit for purpose before ANY work started on the Hotel, which has been open for some time now, yet the Priory leaseholder has treated that requirement with total disdain, instead, he has allowed the Grade 2 building to continue to deteriorate
I wish Kassam would deteriorate after the council gave talen that prat to court and he gets a considerable fine and costs

FK will argue it has no defined purpose. So now he's made it fit for nothing, he's met his obligation. Plus the Council can't afford to take him on because of the financial risk associated with losing a Court case

FK will argue it has no defined purpose. So now he's made it fit for nothing, he's met his obligation. Plus the Council can't afford to take him on because of the financial risk associated with losing a Court case
But as he purchased the Priory and he is the owner and the building is listed then under the rules that pertain to listed buildings it’s his responsibility from r the upkeep and he has failed to do that since god knows when but he should be held accountable but if the poxy OCC are to scares them they’re a disgrace to the people of Oxford.

But as he purchased the Priory and he is the owner and the building is listed then under the rules that pertain to listed buildings it’s his responsibility from r the upkeep and he has failed to do that since god knows when but he should be held accountable but if the poxy OCC are to scares them they’re a disgrace to the people of Oxford.
Baz - My comments were tongue in cheek....I;m sure your Real Ales will be flowing again one day...:D

For a moment there I thought we'd made another signing....:D
the kind of signing most would welcome , after all Chumb' gets knocked down and gets up again.... unlike some the crocs on our books:p

A mere detail, sarge, but the planning office allowed the refurbishment to be delayed and extended the lease back to 99 years just before work started 'in order that Mr K would have a better business case that would allow a complete internal and external fix rather than the external revamp only. This is kind of half evident from the planning documents, iirc, and the saving of the Priory by this agreement was referred to in a mail from dear old English Heritage.

Result's the same.

I do understand the Priory is not fit for purpose at the moment, it has long been in decline and disrepair.
If the pub was put back to a standard of use would it really be any good for the club or supporters?
In it's current structure the building is not big enough to use on match days without additional external cover, the toilet facilities are minimal, it is really fit for purpose as a supporters club say?
The one thing that keeps the building there is because it's listed, being listed is an issue that means the building can't be moved forward to actually be used to what our full potential could be.

Just say FK did do what he's supposed to have done and brings the building up to scratch, IF he didn't have a use for it and we somehow arranged use of the building at the right price, what then?

We have a building that can't be altered to suit our needs as a supporters club, who would manage the building and project, what would you use the building for between home matches (approx 2 weeks), what happens to the building when there is no football for 3 months?

If the houses go up the other side of the road in a few years time I can see there being a constant of customers through out the year, and opening it up as also a pub will be more financially viable, but as a supporters club for 24+ matches a year is a financial non starter.

Personally I cannot see the Priory ever being fit for purpose. To exist as a pub, if the houses were built to provide some custom, then it would need proper kitchen facilities, toilets and cellar capability for beers to compete with Sandford or the existing pubs in the Leys.. As it stands, none of these are to hand. Add on to that the problem of the sewage farm across the road with the related "odours" and you have no business in the summer.
If the proposed house were to be built on what is now the sewage farm then perhaps there is a future, albeit, not immediate.
I can understand the reticence of FK to do anything which would cost money however, he is legally obliged and should be reminded of that obligation and if nothing happens, penalised in the only manner he understands.

Personally I cannot see the Priory ever being fit for purpose. To exist as a pub, if the houses were built to provide some custom, then it would need proper kitchen facilities, toilets and cellar capability for beers to compete with Sandford or the existing pubs in the Leys.. As it stands, none of these are to hand. Add on to that the problem of the sewage farm across the road with the related "odours" and you have no business in the summer.
If the proposed house were to be built on what is now the sewage farm then perhaps there is a future, albeit, not immediate.
I can understand the reticence of FK to do anything which would cost money however, he is legally obliged and should be reminded of that obligation and if nothing happens, penalised in the only manner he understands.
Let's hope the meeting on Feb 2nd resulted in Oxford city council growing a pair and following through on enforcing any penalties imposed on the leaseholder

I accept any fault or punishment should be dealt with between both parties, can't really see it effecting either party in the end.
My point was, IF Firoz did put the building into the minimal requirement, would it be any benefit to us or the club?

Back
Top Bottom