The Priory

Wasn't it English Heritage, rather than OCC?

Not certain about that, but Council planners ruled it was only acceptable on a temporary basis, and English Heritage said it was 'alien and insensitive'.
''Alien and insensitive'' :alien: And the Bowling ,Bingo food establishments etc etc etc are not?!! :unsure:

Not certain about that, but Council planners ruled it was only acceptable on a temporary basis, and English Heritage said it was 'alien and insensitive'.
''Alien and insensitive'' :alien: And the Bowling ,Bingo food establishments etc etc etc are not?!! :unsure:

It was OCC, I'm sure. Good of English Heritage to take an interest, tho.

City Council own the Grade II Listed building & it is their responsibility to keep it in good order - end of discussion. We should all be getting English Heritage revved up to take Councillor Price & his merry men to task accordingly!

That would be why they twice made planning permission subject to Firoka fixing up the Priory: before the new hotel started build and before it opened, would it?

City Council own the Grade II Listed building & it is their responsibility to keep it in good order - end of discussion. We should all be getting English Heritage revved up to take Councillor Price & his merry men to task accordingly!
@PC , myself, @Maurice Earp and others did just that some years ago...English Heritage, preservation of rural Britain and a plethora of similar set ups ,as we found out, are toothless and uninterested.....Bob Price was challenged on that very point at last week's Ox vox meeting.....his response was something along the lines of there's a council meeting regarding mr kassam's failures to meet requirements of the planning permission (of his hotel next to the proiry)and his obligations as leaseholder of the priory....think Bob Price said that meeting was being held Feb 2? (Though that might've been a response to another issue raised)

Last edited:
It was OCC, I'm sure. Good of English Heritage to take an interest, tho.
They,English heritage, it seems take even longer than Oxford city council to get engaged in what they are purporting to be protecting ....lets hope it's not too little too late?....and yes @PC Pit WAS ox city ccouncil...english heritage wernt interested 4-5 years ago!

Last edited:
Interesting to see how this one plays out. As an aside, it was OCC's decision not to allow the marquee that put the previous landlord in an untenable position and probably made the pub unprofitable for anyone else to run.

So does that mean two marquee signings were the difference between success both on and off the pitch, Lee Holmes being the other :unsure:

A council meeting! That'll learn him
4 days to go until the meeting regarding the proiry leaseholder's non compliance with his legal requirements . .... given the track record Oxford City Council have in dealing with the breeze block owner best nobody holds their breath on any kind of positive outcome

What was the Priory used for before OUFC started building the stadium there? Not au fait with the layout of the area myself, anyone know (old maps, photos, pictures)? Who owned it pre-OCC/Kassam? Who were the clientele?

Back in the 70s, it used to be Minchery Farm Country Club and had an annex that held Monday and Friday night discos which us local youth used to attend. Sure there are a few on here who used to attend.

Back in the 70s, it used to be Minchery Farm Country Club and had an annex that held Monday and Friday night discos which us local youth used to attend. Sure there are a few on here who used to attend.
Yes, I used to go to Minchery Farm disco's on a Friday. That building was located where the new hotel is now.

4 days to go until the meeting regarding the proiry leaseholder's non compliance with his legal requirements . .... given the track record Oxford City Council have in dealing with the breeze block owner best nobody holds their breath on any kind of positive outcome
Bob Prices retirement date too? Never know, he might want to go out with a bang..

Bob Prices retirement date too? Never know, he might want to go out with a bang..
Bit like when Michael Corleone 'relocated' the family in the the Godfather?....we live in hope :cool:

Yes, I used to go to Minchery Farm disco's on a Friday. That building was located where the new hotel is now.
Co incidentaly its said Minchery farm country club 'mysteriously 'burnt down not long after Oxford City Council leased the Priory to the currently leaseholder

Co incidentaly its said Minchery farm country club 'mysteriously 'burnt down not long after Oxford City Council leased the Priory to the currently leaseholder
Yes I remember seeing the burnt out shell of the old building during the Kassam Stadium build. Convenient that eh!!! :)

But we mustn’t rule out the corrupt OCC

Back
Top Bottom