The Priory

Yeah. Shall we try again? (anyone who wants to help and is more tenacious than me, I'll share the info I have).
always worth a try....after all if you/we dont suceed, it does say youre probably not a toothless budgerigar:)

I daresay that there are some very toxic skeletons in closets that OCC would rather not have revealed to the electorate regarding the shenanigans prior to the "Ozone" development.

According to the agent it's not a sub let. The lease agreement is with the owner. Interestingly when I mentioned OCC they replied no, OCC don't own the property. They've either got it wrong or it's semantics (given the longish lease) or OCC have sold the freehold of the Priory.

According to the agent it's not a sub let. The lease agreement is with the owner. Interestingly when I mentioned OCC they replied no, OCC don't own the property. They've either got it wrong or it's semantics (given the longish lease) or OCC have sold the freehold of the Priory.
FOIA request to Oxford City Council may define the current situation?

Done that. The information is available in the Land Registry so FOI people referred me there. Was too tight to pay :(

Done that. The information is available in the Land Registry so FOI people referred me there. Was too tight to pay :(
Perhaps, talk to OxVox about this?

FOI pertaining to exercise of lease conditions would be interesting. Let's see how much (or how little) OCC pushed FK over "our" pub.

Subject of who owns the Priory (Oxford City Council) and who owns the lease ( the stadium landlord) currently was raised at last nights Oxvox meeting

As was how the stadium landlord was able to build a new hotel WITHOUT first ensuring the Grade 2 listed Priory was fit for purpose( as per the planning application requirements)...... Bob Price Oxford City Council informed the Oxvox meeting, that there is an imminent Council meeting regarding that very subject of the stadium landlord and Priory leasholder NOT complying with Council planning requirements

Subject of who owns the Priory (Oxford City Council) and who owns the lease ( the stadium landlord) currently was raised at last nights Oxvox meeting

As was how the stadium landlord was able to build a new hotel WITHOUT first ensuring the Grade 2 listed Priory was fit for purpose( as per the planning application requirements)...... Bob Price Oxford City Council informed the Oxvox meeting, that there is an imminent Council meeting regarding that very subject of the stadium landlord and Priory leasholder NOT complying with Council planning requirements

Can they make him knock it down? As that would be hilarious.

Can they make him knock it down? As that would be hilarious.
Now that I'd pay to watch :p

Technically, I assume, that could be an outcome, reality
is they probably wont, it will be interesting to see what action Oxford City Council take against the breeze block owner and Priory leaseholder:unsure:

The correct course of action would be to revoke the hotel's operating licence until the Priory condition has been fulfilled (possibly with a fine as well). That would cause FK problems but might also make him even more obstructive where the stadium is concerned - if that's possible!

Interesting that Bob Price indicated that OCC owned the Priory after the agent said they didn't. Presumably OCC are the owners, in which case do they have to give permission for any sub-let? If so, my guess is they'd be less inclined to permit a sub-let while a planning condition breach has not been resolved.

Interesting to see how this one plays out. As an aside, it was OCC's decision not to allow the marquee that put the previous landlord in an untenable position and probably made the pub unprofitable for anyone else to run.

The correct course of action would be to revoke the hotel's operating licence until the Priory condition has been fulfilled (possibly with a fine as well). That would cause FK problems but might also make him even more obstructive where the stadium is concerned - if that's possible!

Interesting that Bob Price indicated that OCC owned the Priory after the agent said they didn't. Presumably OCC are the owners, in which case do they have to give permission for any sub-let? If so, my guess is they'd be less inclined to permit a sub-let while a planning condition breach has not been resolved.

Interesting to see how this one plays out. As an aside, it was OCC's decision not to allow the marquee that put the previous landlord in an untenable position and probably made the pub unprofitable for anyone else to run.

good overview that ^^ is

I think your guess in your second paragraph ^^ is pretty much there or thereabouts @outsidethebox

Your views in first paragraph are Id agree with

3rd para ...it was a relatively new appointment who refused/ took away the Priory Marquee as it 'wasn't in keeping with the surroundings'...given what has materialised there now, the Priory Marquee would mask the out of keeping with the Grade 2 listed Priory Id say! . The female Council employee who, in effect, removed the Marquee, didnt last long in that particular position. Heard that her reluctance to engage with enquiries from the public ( irate , miffed n vexed matchday Priory users in the main) was a major factor among others in her short lived tenure in that position of employment...and yes it will be very interesting to see how it all plays out. Eventually

Last edited:
Priory Land Registry reference appears to be ON244349 which includes the land on which the shops & cinema are build and the newer hotel. It's kind of messy because the 'big package' has been sub-divided a number of times but someone who knows what he is doing would probably be able to establish the leases / transfers between Oxford City Council & Kassam.

This "18 (05.12.2003) The land has the benefit of the rights reserved by but is subject to the rights granted by a Transfer of the land edged and
numbered ON244349 in green on the filed plan and other land dated 14 November 2003 made between (1) The Oxford City Council and (2) Firoka
(Oxford Leisure) Limited. NOTE: Copy filed under ON244349." is the reference in ON10095 - I think this means the freehold stays with OCC and the lease transfers to FK.

What does FK mean "We have tried everything we can - nobody is playing ball on it, so it is sitting there rotting away until somebody comes to their senses and makes a commercial decision.
It is a very important building but planners are happy to let it rot instead of assisting on some planning that can bring it back to life again and be commercially viable."

Oh well, good publicity.

What was the Priory used for before OUFC started building the stadium there? Not au fait with the layout of the area myself, anyone know (old maps, photos, pictures)? Who owned it pre-OCC/Kassam? Who were the clientele?

There's a Poll on the Ox mail site, worth voting if only to add support for it being re-opened.

Back
Top Bottom