The price of football.

It costs far too much to go to the cinema as a family, or the theatre, or Twickenham, or Legoland. But we all make our choices.

When I was a kid I'd watch Bicester Town with my grandad before going to watch Oxford a few years later. The only top flight football I saw was when Oxford was there (except a freebie at Arsenal a few years ago).

People have bern talking about the cost of football killing off the game for years, but our attendance figures have remained roughly the same since the 80's despite several league changes, new stadium and all the money going into the game.

So we can moan all day long, but nothing will change and football will remain!

Football may remain but not the same. No longer the common man's game, no longer tribal, a nice 'experience' for the middle classes.

Football may remain but not the same. No longer the common man's game, no longer tribal, a nice 'experience' for the middle classes.
Sanitized and sterile, the higher up the pyramid the more sterile and sanitized it becomes

Weird thing is - this is coming at a time when TV revenue is at an all-time high, when gate receipts are actually of less importance to the average Premier League club and when average season ticket prices in the Premier League have fallen two years running.

I guess Spurs are trying to gentrify and steal all the rich fans from Arsenal whilst they've got the better team and soon will have a similar stadium experience.......

Is anyone else going to the Price Of Football evening at Plough Lane in a few weeks ?

Not sure if it’s sold out yet as they released some more tickets.

There were "a handful" left according to the last pod I listened to (I'm one behind though). Best football pod I listen to.

There were "a handful" left according to the last pod I listened to (I'm one behind though). Best football pod I listen to.

What other football pods do you listen to?

I used to listen to Football Weekly and then Totally Football Show twice a week but haven’t bothered since the start of the Pandemic when I’ve binned off the commute.

Used to listen to Quickly Kevin too, but the laugh of Josh’s loud sidekick annoyed me too much - an ever more annoying Gervais screech.

What other football pods do you listen to?

I used to listen to Football Weekly and then Totally Football Show twice a week but haven’t bothered since the start of the Pandemic when I’ve binned off the commute.

Used to listen to Quickly Kevin too, but the laugh of Josh’s loud sidekick annoyed me too much - an ever more annoying Gervais screech.
Not the top 20, an EFL podcast, and Football Ramble which is not too bad. (both on Spotify)

Not the top 20, an EFL podcast, and Football Ramble which is not too bad. (both on Spotify)

Yeah used to enjoy NTTT - should get back on that (and particularly given that I have zero interest in the PL).

Used to listen to the Ramble loads about ten years ago, when it was the original line-up. Hear they’ve shaken it up a bit now.

Football Cliches is worth a listen if you want a knockabout, irreverent take on the language of football.

Yeah I listened to that a bit as the fella guested on The Totally Football podcast. Joined the Athletic’s stable didn’t he?

Yeah I listened to that a bit as the fella guested on The Totally Football podcast. Joined the Athletic’s stable didn’t he?

Adam Hurrey? Yep. He moved over a few years ago when The Athletic launched its UK operation a few years ago.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Kieran Maguire assesses the transfer window for South East clubs.
Bit odd to mix up EPL, Championship and EFL1 clubs into one article as the finances are so different particularly in the EPL.
He doesn't really say too much about our squad other than the club will be focussing on cutting costs and debt. I disagree, the focus is clearly the stadium move, and hopefully the aim of an automatic promotion, and if not, the play-offs. None of which will involve cutting costs.

Back
Top Bottom