The Premier League has finally lost it completely.

It makes you wonder if a senior person on the buying side has a percentage in that deal to offer that amount of money. Madness.

Amazing that a striker signed for 11m and who hasnt scored since November quadruples in value. EFL clubs need to collectively take a stand and refuse to sell players to PL clubs for less than 10m or the gap just continues to widen and no club can ever afford to go up - would also stop the ritual rape of lower league assets mid season for peanuts

The money in the PL (and top flight football the world over nowadays) is so staggering this sort of transfer is not a shock anymore.

I remember reading an article some time back about the exclusive addresses in huge but crumbling mansions on The Bishops’ Avenue in north London. They had a quote from an estate agent who sells the properties there saying that they charge interested clients £1000 just to see the catalogue of lots. To almost everyone on this forum, including the most successful business wise like our old friend Charlie, this is a ludicrous charge to pay for something that has a unit cost of around £2 to assemble. However, the agent justified it by saying that those who buy it show that they’re serious. Essentially, they’re selling houses to people who are so wealthy that £1000 is like spending a few pennies in your newsagent for a chocolate bar.

The PL world is now like that. To sign a player for £10m is thought of as nothing as the fee is essentially paid within minutes through shirt sales or other income streams. Everton have paid £50m not as a speculative gamble but because they can afford it.

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when the football bubble went OTT. The advent of the PL itself in 1992? The lucrative deals for CL qualification (ultimately Leeds United’s undoing in chasing that dream)? The arrival of Roman Abramovich? The increasingly outrageous TV deals? All I know is that £50m is now pennies to a club like Everton. It’s not the only business to do the same – any entertainment form such as music, film, TV etc has gone the same way.

Sure gonna be fun when it bursts.

if people didn't keep subscribing and paying the yearly increases then the money wouldn't be there
pay tv license then a base fee for programs you never watch then extra for sports etc..watch an up and coming boxer then pay even more when he fights for a title etc etc
they then control the sport and dictate what day a game must be played and kick off with total disregard for the paying fans.

Amazing that a striker signed for 11m and who hasnt scored since November quadruples in value. EFL clubs need to collectively take a stand and refuse to sell players to PL clubs for less than 10m or the gap just continues to widen and no club can ever afford to go up - would also stop the ritual rape of lower league assets mid season for peanuts
Free market my friend, free market. Well done Watford?

The money in the PL (and top flight football the world over nowadays) is so staggering this sort of transfer is not a shock anymore.

I remember reading an article some time back about the exclusive addresses in huge but crumbling mansions on The Bishops’ Avenue in north London. They had a quote from an estate agent who sells the properties there saying that they charge interested clients £1000 just to see the catalogue of lots. To almost everyone on this forum, including the most successful business wise like our old friend Charlie, this is a ludicrous charge to pay for something that has a unit cost of around £2 to assemble. However, the agent justified it by saying that those who buy it show that they’re serious. Essentially, they’re selling houses to people who are so wealthy that £1000 is like spending a few pennies in your newsagent for a chocolate bar.

The PL world is now like that. To sign a player for £10m is thought of as nothing as the fee is essentially paid within minutes through shirt sales or other income streams. Everton have paid £50m not as a speculative gamble but because they can afford it.

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when the football bubble went OTT. The advent of the PL itself in 1992? The lucrative deals for CL qualification (ultimately Leeds United’s undoing in chasing that dream)? The arrival of Roman Abramovich? The increasingly outrageous TV deals? All I know is that £50m is now pennies to a club like Everton. It’s not the only business to do the same – any entertainment form such as music, film, TV etc has gone the same way.
free market, supply and demand, will always win...

if people didn't keep subscribing and paying the yearly increases then the money wouldn't be there
pay tv license then a base fee for programs you never watch then extra for sports etc..watch an up and coming boxer then pay even more when he fights for a title etc etc
they then control the sport and dictate what day a game must be played and kick off with total disregard for the paying fans.

Unfortunately I pay for the cricket. If cricket only was an option, I’d do that.

It has been 'wrong' for a very long time indeed, BUT would we really prefer English football to be on a level with the Scottish Leagues where there is no money anywhere, prize money for 2nd-5th in the top flight barely reaches £10m and the vacuum of incoming stars drying up meant that domestic talent was sucked up the ladder, with those left behind scrapping for those crumbs of talent that are left.
More 'honest' maybe, 'reconnecting with the roots of the game' perhaps, but would the reality not be quite what we like to believe it would be?

well actually yes because Scotland has suffered more than most.
Previously the riches was in Italy at the moment it's here
Also the man on the street has been priced out of the game as clubs target corporate
you never use to have (or allow) clubs to field reserves sides in our domestic cups, why are they doing this because of the huge sums to stay in the top flight and champions league..How would clubs seasons be viewed if the Cl reverted to winners only? many of the over paid prima donnas would not be here

as i've said elsewhere sometimes you wonder what the point of remaining a football club outside of the top 2 leagues is !

Unfortunately I pay for the cricket. If cricket only was an option, I’d do that.
My mum is a Sky customer who has just reduced her sub to only the Sky Cricket channel as far as the 'extra' channels are concerned. They let her do it as she was going to cancel it altogether - so it CAN be done!

My mum is a Sky customer who has just reduced her sub to only the Sky Cricket channel as far as the 'extra' channels are concerned. They let her do it as she was going to cancel it altogether - so it CAN be done!

Not through Virgin it can’t!

Here's a fun stat.....

Fulham have so far spent 58 million on new signings since they got promoted back into the Premier League.
The twelve teams promoted to Serie A, La Liga, the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 combined have spent 38 mill.

It's absurd spending, and you have to wonder how long it will go on for. I guess as long as hundreds of millions of people across the world are willing to buy shirts and pay fees to TV networks to watch the Premier League......

Manure are going to spend 30m on a bloke who cost 10m in jan and only played 4 times
was it Leicester who paid 10m for Liverpools 3rd choice keeper
Bournemouth about to splash 27m
West Ham mysteriously spending money for fun since the ex city fella arrived

Wont be long before it all goes Bang !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom