Matches The Ox files

Agreed. An enjoyable diversion.

Nice to see what Jordan Evans is to up to as well. I often wondered why his career had stalled despite his talent but he seems very happy now that’s he’s out of the professional game.

Agreed. An enjoyable diversion.

Nice to see what Jordan Evans is to up to as well. I often wondered why his career had stalled despite his talent but he seems very happy now that’s he’s out of the professional game.
Can you summarise what Jordan Evans is up to nowadays for someone who hasn't seen the video? I seem to remember him scoring an absolute screamer on his debut for us?

Can you summarise what Jordan Evans is up to nowadays for someone who hasn't seen the video? I seem to remember him scoring an absolute screamer on his debut for us?

He’s a barber in Wrexham, incidentally in the same shop as Mark Creighton’s tattoo parlour.

After he left us, he signed for Wrexham and played 20 odd games for them. He was offered longer terms but turned them down as he felt the offer wasn’t right. He admitted that a bit of youthful arrogance made him think the offers would come in however further trials elsewhere didn’t come to anything so he signed to Bala Town on the League of Wales. He was still hoping to be a pro but playing in front of 200 fans wasn’t exactly that and he recalled a course about life after football and conversation with Alex MacDonald about what he wanted to do after football. He then did a course through the FA to train to become a barber.

He’s still in touch with Jonjoe Kenny and says that the Oxford dressing room was the best he’s ever experienced. He had high praise for Jake Wright and MApp too.

The latest installment of the Ox Files is more like an overdue postmortem lol

2005-06 is still a season I look back on and remained stunned it ended the way it did.

There were so many touch points that could have prevented the slide or if luck had gone our way or if one small change occurred. Signing Onandi Lowe, the Bradbury contract incident, seeing Craig Davies and Chris Hackett depart, the fruitless search for a striker (Andy Campbell, Neville Roach, Tim Sills), the Steve Claridge signing, the take over, the storming of the board room, Jim Smith’s signings ...

It’s a bit of our past that could arguably be regarded as our lowest ebb in the ‘00s. 2000-01 started horrendously but by 2010 we were facing the right way again.

I still maintain that Darren Patterson would have kept us up

We wouldn’t have gone down with Patterson but we also wouldn’t have gone up.
Anything that prevented relegation at that point would have been worth it. The takeover was one of the worst things that ever happened to the club on almost every level. The storming of the boardroom and the subsequent chain reaction did more damage to Oxford United than almost any other act. The ultimate lesson in being careful what you wish for.

Anything that prevented relegation at that point would have been worth it. The takeover was one of the worst things that ever happened to the club on almost every level. The storming of the boardroom and the subsequent chain reaction did more damage to Oxford United than almost any other act. The ultimate lesson in being careful what you wish for.
I remember asking Nick Merry on the opening day how does he think we will do and his response was we have better players. Nick Merry was a complete joke.

Although I'm in agreement with most of what you say Ryan, I think the arrival of a certain F Kassam at the club usurps the takeover by Merry and Lenagan and was most certainly the worst thing that ever happened to the club.

By signing the ridiculous licence agreement on the stadium they certainly played their part, but let's not forget who had it drawn up.

Although I'm in agreement with most of what you say Ryan, I think the arrival of a certain F Kassam at the club usurps the takeover by Merry and Lenagan and was most certainly the worst thing that ever happened to the club.
Hence saying “one of the worst” and “almost any other act”. I think we all know that the famous journey will forever be Top Of The Pops.

One day we will turn the right way at the crossroads. Perhaps we already have!

Hence saying “one of the worst” and “almost any other act”. I think we all know that the famous journey will forever be Top Of The Pops.

One day we will turn the right way at the crossroads. Perhaps we already have!

Enlighten me to when Kassam took us on and said he was going to take us on a journey. Did we have anyone stepping up to take us on? Where would we be if he didn't buy us for £1?

I was only born in 1990 so can only really remember the games at the Manor and the fans collecting money to save the club (sos) save our soccer boards and that ,Was only when we moved to the kassam I started following us a lot more and finding out more info about the background.

Back
Top Bottom