Manager/Coach The need for a new manager

rambler

Sad to say that the need for a new manager has in my opinion now became urgent.
Fax has given loyal service to the club and maybe a very good coach, but I don’t think he is the man to take the club forward, and if we continue to play his system we will struggle to stay out of the bottom four.

Sad to say that the need for a new manager has in my opinion now became urgent.
Fax has given loyal service to the club and maybe a very good coach, but I don’t think he is the man to take the club forward, and if we continue to play his system we will struggle to stay out of the bottom four.
Agreed. As much as I like and respect Faz, listening to his pre and post match interviews said to me that he lacks the energy, drive and vision to reinvigorate the squad short term and then take us forward mid to long term. I’m not sure if he’s ever really sounded like someone who even wants the job to behonest!

The need for a new manager is not urgent if the board don't believe that they have seen anyone up to the job.

If we rush a decision and end up with someone not fit for the job, that will be the real disaster.

Many here were pointing enviously at MK and their speedy process. How's it looking for them now?

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s possible for any manager to turn this bunch into a descent side.
I think we’re gifting goals not because of any tactics but because the defence simply isn’t good enough. Especially the two centre half’s!
Martin couldn’t get near our side last season yet this one he’s a regular. I don’t see that he’s up’d his game just our standards lowered.
The midfield is at times all over the place. Defensively weak and yet lacking any real threat going forward.
Add to that we’re going whole halves of matches without a single meaningful shot on target and that a recipe for disaster.
We’ve lost too much quality from the side and replaced it with some absolutely terrible footballers.

Fans Forum creeps ever closer. If we do not have a manager in place by then, what are the odds on the "invisible man" not showing up...... or should that be "materialising".

I did muse on the bog this morning whether a short term appointment like Stuart McCall would suit DE and any future investor. Get a new voice into the club, with a hefty payment for the timeline, and give it another push. Then allow the future board to separate the now and next season.

I would temper what Shaun wrote in his post. I think it will take a strong experienced manager to make a silk purse from this sows ear. there is no doubt we have some good players in the squad. However there are massive holes in there.
- We know both center backs are weak, but here a new manager will have options he has Dickie, plus can hopefully recall Raglan or Kelleher to give options.
- Midfield has been a issue for over a year and lacking Lundstrum has got a lot worse. We lack strength in this area and without new players its going to be hard to fix. A new manager may be able to push a center back forward for some games and that may work.
- Up front is a shambles we are so limited for decent options here that our two main strikers can barely last a warm up. Again tricky to fix without new players. A new manager may be able to get away with our weakness here as we can score.

First job of any manager here will be to stabilise the ship and to do that he needs to make us hard to beat. If we do that we should survive this year.
Come the summer we will face a massive rebuilding job. I think whoever we get will need time to complete this task. Pep inherited the basis for a good squad, but his recruitment was a disaster. Whoever takes over now is going to face a much tougher job than Pep did. I think we all need to understand that.

It is clear that this appointment process has been ill timed and taken way too long (again), which will be fine if we get the right man. If not and we end up relegated I will have lost all faith in DE's ability to run a club successfully. we are now in a slump at a very bad time, we do need a manager now.

I don’t think it’s possible for any manager to turn this bunch into a descent side.
I think we’re gifting goals not because of any tactics but because the defence simply isn’t good enough. Especially the two centre half’s!
Martin couldn’t get near our side last season yet this one he’s a regular. I don’t see that he’s up’d his game just our standards lowered.
The midfield is at times all over the place. Defensively weak and yet lacking any real threat going forward.
Add to that we’re going whole halves of matches without a single meaningful shot on target and that a recipe for disaster.
We’ve lost too much quality from the side and replaced it with some absolutely terrible footballers.
I bet Southend fans were saying the same before Chris Powell took over.

At least we’ll get promoted to the Championship in 2019/20.
If we did get promoted then the championship in the 2019/20 season the way things are going that could be our second successive promotion

Thinking back I believe DE should have dismissed Clotet after the humiliation of the 7-0 home defeat by Wigan, giving any new manager the time to try and sort out our poor defence and get his own new players in.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

DE said that Clotet "interviewed brilliantly ". Pretty much every manager I've heard that said about has lasted less than a season.

DE said that Clotet "interviewed brilliantly ". Pretty much every manager I've heard that said about has lasted less than a season.
Er what about CW?
Nothing wrong with interviewing well but clearly other due diligence is required.
DE alluded to that himself

I would take Stuart McCall till the end of the season with an option to keep him after the season finishes.

He is more than capable and would not take any s**t from those not pulling their weight!

I actually disagree with a lot of this.
We started shipping goals when Nelson was in the team.
So to suggest that CN, MW, JM, AM, CR and RD are all poor centre backs makes no sense.
The whole team defends badly and I reckon different coaching could make a big difference.
Under MAPP we scored loads but let in a few.

I would take Stuart McCall till the end of the season with an option to keep him after the season finishes.

He is more than capable and would not take any s**t from those not pulling their weight!

No manager worth their salt would take a 15 game contract with the possibility of being jobless in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom