The 'Modern Era' XI

Mintyshoe

Modern era = DE tenure, so MAPP and Pep. Bringing youth through and selling them on model.

190118150359.png

I found this easy on the whole, with a couple of controversial choice:

Dunkley over Wright
Lundstram over Ledson
Hall over Johnson/O'Dowda

Not sure any of the others can be compellingly argued against.

Here's one for the oldies on here - how does this team compare against pre-Kassam days? Granted we were playing in a higher division but I would say all of these players are/could be at least Championship standard.

EDIT: Before I cause a tidal wave...
(i) Swap Nelson and Dunkley
(ii) Hylton at Championship level is probably pushing it

Last edited:
Modern era = DE tenure, so MAPP and Pep. Bringing youth through and selling them on model.

190118150359.png

I found this easy on the whole, with a couple of controversial choice:

Dunkley over Wright
Lundstram over Ledson
Hall over Johnson/O'Dowda

Not sure any of the others can be compellingly argued against.

Here's one for the oldies on here - how does this team compare against pre-Kassam days? Granted we were playing in a higher division but I would say all of these players are/could be at least Championship standard.
in comparison to the team/squads of Jim Smith 83-85/ Marice Evans mid 80s era there is no comparison IMO

in comparison to the team/squad of Arthur Turner/ Big Ron (capt) era ....going from non league to division 2 (now Championship) in 7 seasons ... again, along side the above modern 1x, there is no comparison IMO

Albeit from different eras, and football has changed considerably over the years/decades (rules, regs etc - no substitutes until after '66 for one of many examples), I think both the 63- early 70s OUFC team (in their prime) and the 83-87 team/squad ( in their prime) would absolutely wipe the floor with today's, above, modern IX

Eastwood
Kenny Nelson Wright Ricardinho
Ruffels Lundstram
Graham Roofe Hall
Hylton

Controversial
Hall over MJ and COD. Imo when fit Hall can be our best player.
Ruffels mr consistent barely puts a foot wrong. Over ledson

If ur going on the spec of “bringing youth through and selling them on”. There is a few questionable in there.

Ricardinho - ruffels
Graham - Johnson
Baldock, Payne, hylton, Wright also don’t really work as all left for free.

A plain all time 11 without those criteria maybe

Back
Top Bottom