General The meeting Wednesday

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
KR said he is having a meeting Wednesday (tomorrow) is this with the board, to discuss players to release and go through funds for the upcoming season?

I didn't like the things KR said about this Wednesday meeting. It sounds like he's already making those silly veiled threats again - if he doesn't get the financial backing to keep and improve the squad.

The way KR spoke made it seem like he's expecting to be told he can't have the money he wants. (Or to put it another way) the club don't share the same ambition as KR. Maybe he was just really raw from the defeat.

The problem is, how can any club throw money around not knowing when supporters can attend matches or whether there is going to be a salary cap imposed. Surely right now, a clubs survivial is far more important than being ultra competitive going into a season with potentially no gate receipts?

Let's hope the board didn't interpret KR's comments in the same way some us heard them! :oops:

"Some of us are not going to be here" rather than some of them:unsure:

It's his second or third full volley into the board's court this season. There is only so long that continue to happen before one party backs off and the whole things breaksdown.

It's his second or third full volley into the board's court this season. There is only so long that continue to happen before one party backs off and the whole things breaksdown.

Karl is serving for the match with i told you if we'd held on to them in Jan we would not have needed the play offs or given me more notice to find replacements or i could have changed things Monday Night

I read a comment only this last week where Tiger again says he hopes he and Karl are both here long term. I’m sure he knows how emotional Robinson can be and doesnt seem the type of person to let it bother him. As for Robinson, he’ll probably calm down over the course of the next few days and back track again ?

Karl just needs to be realistic, the board aren't going to splash the cash in the middle of a pandemic with little income coming in. If he cannot accept that then its time to go back to basics.

If KR accepts that we will probably have to sell two of our best players in this window and is satisfied that his budget for 20/21 will enable us to be top half competitive I think he'll stay.

Karl just needs to be realistic, the board aren't going to splash the cash in the middle of a pandemic with little income coming in. If he cannot accept that then its time to go back to basics.
He didn’t jump when his stock was high at MK and has been in L1 as a manager ever since. After a playoff final and some high profile cup exploits he’s in the public eye again. He knows that. His public a**e wiggling in February and his constant public tensions with the board are the markings of a man who understands that football is all about tactics and timing, and knowing when and how to jump between platforms. He has to decide whether he twists where in the past he has stuck. He’s at a crossroads where his stock is relatively high.

All I would say is that people need to remember that they support Oxford United, not him or any other individual. Rate him, like him, hope he stays, do whatever you want. But don’t make the mistake of picking sides or getting too involved or invested in other people’s chess games. All players and all managers are ultimately in it for themselves and rightfully so - it is a brutal industry where nobody will look out for you other than yourself. Lose five games in a row and you can be unemployed where only a month earlier everything seemed steady and optimistic. That’s the nature of the beast. But supporters should always know what side of the bread they should butter, no matter what people do to convince them otherwise.

My advice to anyone and everyone: support the club, regardless of what happens with the manager, coaches or anyone else in the weeks ahead.

My advice to anyone and everyone: support the club, regardless of what happens with the manager, coaches or anyone else in the weeks ahead.
I suspect you are preaching to the converted here. We have supported the club through good times (and although it doesn't seem like it this morning, this season has been one of those!) and bad, through decent managers and dreadful ones, good owners and very bad ones, in Division 1 and in the Conference. No reason for us to stop now.

I think Karl Robinson is different from your typical lower league manager. He immerses himself in all aspects of the club, and off the pitch has supported the development of the youth set up and improved community links. I believe he genuinely cares for the players in all age groups, and they have good relationships with him. He gets the best out of them and we've had a number of players who have developed and significantly increased their value during his time at the club. Off the field, Karl was talking to fans during the lockdown period and offered support to those who lost family members. On the pitch he has put together a squad that has finished in our highest league position this century and give us some great nights in the cup.

Of course he could just up and leave, or we could have a dreadful start and gets the boot. That's football! But I think that we need to recognise that a like for like replacement is far from guaranteed. We've been lucky with Wilder, Appleton and Robinson, but there is always a chance we could get the next Pep!

If the board are serious about our success (and I think they are!) then we need to invest in both the playing squad and the management and keep this group together, including KR.

I think Karl Robinson is different from your typical lower league manager. He immerses himself in all aspects of the club, and off the pitch has supported the development of the youth set up and improved community links. I believe he genuinely cares for the players in all age groups, and they have good relationships with him. He gets the best out of them and we've had a number of players who have developed and significantly increased their value during his time at the club. Off the field, Karl was talking to fans during the lockdown period and offered support to those who lost family members. On the pitch he has put together a squad that has finished in our highest league position this century and give us some great nights in the cup.

Of course he could just up and leave, or we could have a dreadful start and gets the boot. That's football! But I think that we need to recognise that a like for like replacement is far from guaranteed. We've been lucky with Wilder, Appleton and Robinson, but there is always a chance we could get the next Pep!

If the board are serious about our success (and I think they are!) then we need to invest in both the playing squad and the management and keep this group together, including KR.

Well one things certain. We are going to see the boards intentions during this transfer window. They will come under a lot of scrutiny too from the fans.

I'll echo what others have said - if KR is going into the board room demanding to know his budgets for next season and trying to push for more, he'll get little in reply. If he moves on, he'll have the same conversation in the board room of his new club too. Nobody knows what can be offered until the season is done completely and the lay of the land is known for the 2020-21 season.

He's cleverer than that though. What I think we will see tomorrow or in the coming days is the retained, released and transfer listed list which would have been drawn up over the last few months, the movement towards securing contracts with players we may have already spoken to (Joel Cooper perhaps), contract extensions, the inevitable sale of Dickie and Brannagan and a debrief on the game.

I'll echo what others have said - if KR is going into the board room demanding to know his budgets for next season and trying to push for more, he'll get little in reply. If he moves on, he'll have the same conversation in the board room of his new club too. Nobody knows what can be offered until the season is done completely and the lay of the land is known for the 2020-21 season.

He's cleverer than that though. What I think we will see tomorrow or in the coming days is the retained, released and transfer listed list which would have been drawn up over the last few months, the movement towards securing contracts with players we may have already spoken to (Joel Cooper perhaps), contract extensions, the inevitable sale of Dickie and Brannagan and a debrief on the game.
Is there much of a retained list to wait for? Mackie maybe, who else meaningful is OOC? Surely Thorne has gone

Is there much of a retained list to wait for? Mackie maybe, who else meaningful is OOC? Surely Thorne has gone

Didn't Mackie and mousinho sign a 1 year extension though. Not sure who actually is out of contract. Maybe will have some players transfer listed and obviously loanees returned.

Much as I think Mackie is an amusing character and probably 'good in the dressing room', surely we have to spend money on players who are able to make a big difference on the pitch? If we are keeping Mous on as a player/coach, we don't need two of them.

I'd also want some pretty solid medical reports before making an offer to Taylor as well. If he is expensive then you have to factor in how much he is able to play, and add in the cost of a main striker who will be effective when Taylor is recovering.

Much as I think Mackie is an amusing character and probably 'good in the dressing room', surely we have to spend money on players who are able to make a big difference on the pitch? If we are keeping Mous on as a player/coach, we don't need two of them.

I'd also want some pretty solid medical reports before making an offer to Taylor as well. If he is expensive then you have to factor in how much he is able to play, and add in the cost of a main striker who will be effective when Taylor is recovering.

I thought I read Mackie was going to be more of a attacking coach, where mousinho a defensive coach. So maybe they just going to be back up players if needed.

Back
Top Bottom