General The meeting Wednesday

If we had been promoted to the Championship Barry we wouldn't have had to consider a £2.5m cap.
it is, we now have to abide by whatever the corrupt EFL say we must do, but if it is a cap then it has to be the same across the board or it would be totally unfair

Its bonkers that a club who averages 18k at home should have to have the same wage bill as one with 3k. What are they supposed to do with the profits they make if they cant pay it to get better players? The cap should be a % of income..

Its bonkers that a club who averages 18k at home should have to have the same wage bill as one with 3k. What are they supposed to do with the profits they make if they cant pay it to get better players? The cap should be a % of income..
They’re quoting a 2.5 million cap

Fix their stadium? Invest in the youth academy or the local community? Prepare a war chest for the Championship?

Develop grass roots football in the local community, along with their own academies perhaps?

There are loads of unknowns as to how this might work in practice and how many loopholes the bigger clubs find to attract the best (and by best I think it might mean those with the best agents in some cases). Here's you £1800pw wage....and here's your free accomodation+car+ goal/clean sheet/appearance/cup/international bonus, taking the value of you package to £xk per week.

Everyone being in the same boat might actually be better than everyone simply being in the same storm, but in different boats.

Football has got to plan for the longer term future, rather than short termism all the time!

Its utterly ludicrous. And im sure Darragh is also spitting feathers as its going to seriously hamper project retribution or whatever B*****s its called.

The key for the EFL should not be telling owners what money they can spend, but working harder to firstly check the money is there and secondly properly checking credentials of owners.

Lol, profits. Wage caps might help some clubs to break even.

Interesting. However, I wonder if accomadation would be considered. Oxford and London are expensive, could the club provide free accomadation, otherwise based on those wages they are going to choose clubs in a cheaper location.

Aside to that, with Covid 19, a lot of companies are looking at their footprints. Financial institutions are questioning their London footprint and with WFH, they are opening up employees to relocate to lower cost areas or indeed nearshoring.
Offering accommodation to sweeten the deal for players and keep under the salary cap didn’t work out too well for Saracens Rugby..

This is all a bit ridiculous though. How can the club have strategic meetings when they dont even know how they‘ll be allowed to budget for next season yet? The way the EFL works the transfer window will need to get extended until next June for a start.

Seems to me Karl still hasnt made his mind up. “I want to manage in the Championship but I still want to be home every night” He does make some really good points but, unfortunately for us all, we’re in the middle of uncertain times.

As I read that piece, I saw it as KR saying that he still felt he owed the club for backing him.
Not to say he wouldn’t go If another job came along, but it seems to me that he is prepared to give it another go here.

This is all a bit ridiculous though. How can the club have strategic meetings when they dont even know how they‘ll be allowed to budget for next season yet? The way the EFL works the transfer window will need to get extended until next June for a start.

Surely it would anyway to give clubs time to comply?

£2.5M is a figure that has been mentioned. I'm willing to bet (for example) that Sunderland's already contracted players massively exceed that before a signing is made. The principle applies also to % turnover style caps.

I really wouldn't hold your breath on this one.

Sunderland currently only have 15 players contracted plus Aiden McGeady who's been out on loan at Charlton.

Sunderland currently only have 15 players contracted plus Aiden McGeady who's been out on loan at Charlton.

Yeah, 15 on Sunderland wages! ?

I might well have picked a bad example, but you can see the potential problem with immediate enforcement.

Surely it would anyway to give clubs time to comply?

£2.5M is a figure that has been mentioned. I'm willing to bet (for example) that Sunderland's already contracted players massively exceed that before a signing is made. The principle applies also to % turnover style caps.

I really wouldn't hold your breath on this one.

I wonder how this would be looked at by the EFL if they do implement the quoted 2.5 million wage cap and not just for Sunderland but Ipswich Peterborough and possibly Pompey and the incumbent nth at come down from the championship.

As I read that piece, I saw it as KR saying that he still felt he owed the club for backing him.
Not to say he wouldn’t go If another job came along, but it seems to me that he is prepared to give it another go here.
But isn’t that the same for all managers? I’m not sure if he’s just getting a message out to the supporters to show that he still has a burning ambition to do well here, but I’m not sure these constant public challenges to his bosses are a good thing. I think a public show of unity would possibly be healthier.

Seems to me Karl still hasnt made his mind up. “I want to manage in the Championship but I still want to be home every night” He does make some really good points but, unfortunately for us all, we’re in the middle of uncertain times.

that last paragraph is about managing oxford, as surely Robinson at 39, isnt limiting is ambition to the championship.

that last paragraph is about managing oxford, as surely Robinson at 39, isnt limiting is ambition to the championship.

I read an interview ages ago where he said his dream is to manage Liverpool, so you're right, his ambitions are definitely bigger than managing a Championship club.

I read an interview ages ago where he said his dream is to manage Liverpool, so you're right, his ambitions are definitely bigger than managing a Championship club.
I think he will manage at the top level. So young still. Like Wilder will learn from mistakes he has made and improve even more.

I like that interview.

I think its clear that maybe half of the team that got us to third position are just not going to cope in the champ. After a few days reflection I have come to terms with the fact that we aren't ready.

For me, Dickie, Bran, Sykes, Kelly, Taylor and Browne might do OK (this is the minimum ability required), but apart from that Its a major rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom