General The meeting Wednesday

Tiger is saying it was plan A Championship, plan B League 1. Basically i believe not getting to the Championship is going to hit harder than what he and the board are letting on with regard to signing new players now that we have missed out to a non league sunday pub team. Expect Dickie will be off with the interest being shown, may be Brannagan and Sykes. So who can we get ?. Taylor may be. Kelly maybe. Browne not now. We need a Tony Adams in the back four, a leader. a new keeper,
What is does the future hold for Jack Stevens, will he be given a chance at last, never let us down.

To be fair to him, I think Robinson has been looking to go with a ‘quarterback’ in front of the back 4 for a long time, hence the perseverance with Thorne. It’ll be interesting to see if he can bring in a dominant, experienced midfield general this transfer window. That, along with a good CF and an experienced CB (if/when Dickie goes) are essential I think.
Agree with this. Kelly coming on on Monday and performing that role did also change the game, so it's claearly a system KR knows how to implement effectively. I just wonder if its a risk because it seems intuitively incredibly easy to counter - as an opposition, all you need to do is sit a man on Kelly/Thorne/whoever, and their entire influence is completely blunted. It's sort of like we saw with JAck PAyne a few seasons back - unreal player for the first 10-15 games, and then teams realised all they needed to do was mark him out of the game and we were done!

Tiger is saying it was plan A Championship, plan B League 1. Basically i believe not getting to the Championship is going to hit harder than what he and the board are letting on with regard to signing new players now that we have missed out to a non league sunday pub team. Expect Dickie will be off with the interest being shown, may be Brannagan and Sykes. So who can we get ?. Taylor may be. Kelly maybe. Browne not now. We need a Tony Adams in the back four, a leader. a new keeper,
What is does the future hold for Jack Stevens, will he be given a chance at last, never let us down.
They are a Championship team unlike us, it’s time some of our fans showed a bit of humility and grace.

I've got a feeling we might get Woodburn again next season.
He'll definitely be going out somewhere on loan as he's a long way off the Liverpool set up. He has potential, and we saw glimpses of that. But he played so few games and it would be unlikely that a Championship club will show interest. We have shown that we are a club that looks to protect, support and develop young players, and Ben has felt welcome here.

So if we want him, I'm sure it will suit all parties for him to sign for another year. But I guess it will depend on who else is on our radar and whether he will fit into our plans. I think his best role is in a number 10 role, or a free role across the front, similar to how Henry plays.

In March Henry would have been absolutely nailed on to play, but the last week has made that less certain

Woodburn played very well for us in a spell of games in central midfield. He was poor in the number ten/AMC role as he doesn’t seem to have the positional intelligence/attacking sense required - but he can put a foot in and pass the ball around from deep. I wouldn’t mind him coming back as a central midfielder personally

So the board make a lot of noise about holding this meeting and then say nothing about what was decided.??

So the board make a lot of noise about holding this meeting and then say nothing about what was decided.??

It was a planning & strategy meeting.
Both sides will have their say and a statement or communication will be "somewhere in the middle" agreed by all parties.
That is what takes the time.
Sadly folk expect "instant" news these days.
We`ll find out in due course.

Tiger’s most recent message spoke of several days of meetings so I wouldnt expect too much until next week. Season tickets go on general sale on Monday I think so theres bound to be communication from the club then.

The issue is that we don’t know his best position and it isn’t particularly clear where he fits in the team.

- he can’t play out on the left...KR prefers pace on the wings

- oxford are pants when we try 4231 so we can’t play him as the #10

- I’m the first leg vs Portsmouth we played him on the right....but he doesn’t offer enough out of possession

- his strongest position, from before injury was left side of a midfield 3....where Brannagan plays

undoubtedly with talent but it’s not clear where he fits with us?

The issue is that we don’t know his best position and it isn’t particularly clear where he fits in the team.

- he can’t play out on the left...KR prefers pace on the wings

- oxford are pants when we try 4231 so we can’t play him as the #10

- I’m the first leg vs Portsmouth we played him on the right....but he doesn’t offer enough out of possession

- his strongest position, from before injury was left side of a midfield 3....where Brannagan plays

undoubtedly with talent but it’s not clear where he fits with us?
You might have answered your own question if his best position is where Brannagan plays ?

You might have answered your own question if his best position is where Brannagan plays ?

I would imagine Brannagan will leave this summer...it would almost be a bad move for the club if they didn’t sell. Woodburn might return on loan and fill Brannagan’s spot!

The proposed salary cap is no doubt a major factor for clubs incl. Oxford.
The failure to win promotion to the Championship has big consequences.

Interesting. However, I wonder if accomadation would be considered. Oxford and London are expensive, could the club provide free accomadation, otherwise based on those wages they are going to choose clubs in a cheaper location.

Aside to that, with Covid 19, a lot of companies are looking at their footprints. Financial institutions are questioning their London footprint and with WFH, they are opening up employees to relocate to lower cost areas or indeed nearshoring.

If we had been promoted to the Championship Barry we wouldn't have had to consider a £2.5m cap.

Back
Top Bottom